Building a dream

Punisher Bass

He who drives a Buick
Car(s)
98 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
I had this idea after a conversation on IRC the other night.

We all have a list of cars we'd like to own, and most of us will never have the coin to own any of them. But this isn't another "Oh what are your top 5 dream cars?" thread. This is about a car you would like to build one day or maybe have been working on in your garage for the last 6 years. A clone, a tribute, a kit, a restomod, a restoration. It doesn't matter. Name a car you'd like to someday build and why. What kind of custom touches or improvments you'd make or if you'd keep it totally stock ect. This is your dream and anything goes.

I'll start things off.

Car: A 1987 Buick GNX clone.

https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/01/30/1987BUICKREGALGNX.jpg

Build type: Clone/Resomod.

I'd start off by getting my hands on a normal GN (Gran National) and then take it down to a bare frame. The frame would be sandblasted, fully boxed, and then powder coated satin black. It would get a whole new aftermarket suspension from some place like Hotchkis and a 12 bolt rear end from Moser with a limited slip.

I'd take the stock turbo 3.8 and set it aside for something else down the road. In its place I'd put in one of these beauties from TA Performance. http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/buick_v6_turbo_block/index.html . It's an all aluminum version of the 3.8 that's been stroked and given twin turbos. I'm not sure what transmission I'd use, probably a Richmond 5 speed.

When it came to the body I'd have it painted two tone split at the beltline. Silver up top and black on the bottom. I'd also want somekind of custom interior made up since the inside of cars from that era will give you nightmares.

There is more to it but end result would be a 700hp GNX clone with vast improvments and custom touches that wouldn't scream just how much of a monster it is from a block away (I hope).

So what is your dream build?

Last edited:
I've always loved the look of the Superbird, so I think cloning one off of a Satellite would be a nice project. It'd just be something a little different to use the grooved sheetmetal rather than the smooth Road Runner body.

Shit, I wouldn't even know where to start

• Corvair with a Porsche 6 (and it's front/rear suspension)
  • 34 Chevy Tudor with "built" n/a Northstar
  • Geo Metro with a mid mounted Subaru EJ25 (sti engine)
  • 1954 Oldsmobile wagon
  • 62 Buick drop top (complete with turbo 215 v8)
  • Something with a Buick or Pontiac Straight-8
  • Turbo v6 Cadillac CTS
  • 2.5l v6 Mazda Miata/mx-5
  • 190e (with pre-evo 16v body work) with a turbo GM Ecotec
  • e30 318is with a "built" version of BMW's then latest 4 cylinder
  • Something with GM's Atlas 4.2L I-6
  • Properly fixed/restored/restomoded Maserati Biturbo/Ghibli II :drool:
  • the list could go on for pages.

OH and to throw a wrench in the works, 1961-1963 Oldsmobile Cutlass with a Porsche Transaxle and 300hp turbo ecotec. This would be my daily driver :)

Last edited:
Premier Padmini 1.8 with sr20det swap and full time attack suspension/aero
Jaguar XKE series 3 (I picked the least desirable one) with XJ12 V12.
Suzuki Grand Vitara done a la Monster Tajima
Alfa 159 Q4 with 4.2L V8 from Maserati
Sierra Cossie RS500 clone with a Merkur.
60's Mustang fastback with a RB26DETT and drift suspension and a naff paint job in japan racing teh drift king :razz:
MX5 with cosmo 3 rotor swap.
etc etc etc

Last edited:
I was thinking people would be willing to go a little indepth about each build, show example pictures, reasons, ect. Not just give a list, I'm really curious as to why it's their dream. I'm also sure a lot of people don't know alot of what is being talked about, like what the hell is a RB26DETT?

Last edited:
My shortlist of cars that i?d love to do:
  • Mercedes-Benz 190E with C36 AMG 3.6l straight six
  • Mercedes-Benz 190E with C32 AMG 3.2l supercharged V6 (shortness of that block means it stays behind the front axle = WIN)
  • Mercedes-Benz 190E with GM LS2 (To be christened "190E 6.0-32 LS")
  • Volvo 240 with GM LS7 (to be christened "Lolvo 280LS")
  • Caterham or other Lotus 7 replica with a light-weight V8 (GM LS engine for instance)
  • VW Golf Mk1 with MKV R32 engine
  • Audi V8 with C5 RS6 engine

And a few more i can't think of. Any RWD German or Swedish saloon with GM LS would be very nice.

I might go into a few later on in more detail. Brain is still booting up atm.

Last edited:
My list

• Nissan 910 Bluebird with a RB20DET (Mega bits and pieces engine!) and a George Fury replica body kit
  • Holden VT SS Commodore turned into a proper 4 door Monaro. Lowered roof and different doorlines, monaro boot, buckets in the back, painted yellow!
  • Old Volvo 240 with an LS1. Saw a video of that once.. looked mad
  • HSV Coupe 427 replica. 7.0L of madness.
  • VW Campervan with a 2.2L boxer from a Subaru Liberty
  • Jaguar XJ6 XJ40 S with a supercharged 3.2L AJ6(AJ12)
  • As above, but in coupe form. Lowered roof, of course.
Can't think of any others

Oh, and this is the George Fury Bluebird for those who don't know <3

untitled-13low.jpg

like what the hell is a RB26DETT?

An RB-series Nissan Engine that goes in the Skyline GT-R

Now for a quick lesson in Nissan engine codes..

RB=Engine series
26=Capacity of the engine, divided by 10 (2.6L)
D=DOHC
E=Multi-point Fuel injection
T=Turbo
Or, as we see here
TT=Twin Turbo

There's lots of other letters and stuff.. but yeah. Hell of a lot easier to follow than god damn Toyota engine codes..

Last edited:
Isn't this thread supposed to be about a dream car, not listing an entire dream garage?

So far people have been listing a car and what they'd like to do to it, not "Oh I'll take a Veyron and Enzo and Lambo". And there is nothing against posting multiple dream cars, I have several more I intend to post.

I would love to built one of these Caterhams.......or maybe even an Ultima GTR....but thats outta reach right now.

A friend of mine and me have been thinking about getting a car noone cares about, like an old Nissan Micra and fitting it with ~200hp and AWD to make it a funny sleeper :)

Like i promised, i'll be going into detail a bit more with some cars
  • Mercedes-Benz 190E with C36 AMG 3.6l straight six
This one is pretty basic, it's just a 190E with loads more power (280hp vs 160hp for the 2.6l I6) and a pretty easy engine mod, because replacing an M103 (the 12v block used in the 190E and 300E among others) with an M104 (24v block used a.o. in the 300CE-24) is a pretty straightforward mod. Exterior just as stock as possible, with a 16v bodykit, no rear wing. Engine probably mated to the 4-spd auto box from the C36.
  • Mercedes-Benz 190E with C32 AMG 3.2l supercharged V6 (shortness of that block means it stays behind the front axle = WIN)
Not too sure on this one. I like the idea of the short block having a minimal overhang in front of the front axle, meaning better weight distribution. It's the engine itself i'm having doubts over. The stuff i hear about it is just not very good, although 354 hp is not bad at all in a 1150kg car.
  • Mercedes-Benz 190E with GM LS2 (To be christened "190E 6.0-32 LS")
What to say about this one. I just love LS engines in non-GM cars.
  • Volvo 240 with GM LS7 (to be christened "Lolvo 280LS")
See above. :) This one should have a bone-stock exterior, apart from the 4 exhausts sticking out the back, but it should look like it was brand-new.
  • Caterham or other Lotus 7 replica with a light-weight V8 (GM LS engine for instance)
I would love this one. Noone expects a small Lotus 7 replica to have a big V8 under the hood. Of course it has to be really light so it won't make the car too nose-heavy.
  • VW Golf Mk1 with MKV R32 engine
This one is a mod that lots of people have already done with the olde V(R)6s from VW. Again, exteriour should remain as stock as possible, preferrably even a Golf GL instead GTI looks.
  • Audi V8 with C5 RS6 engine
I love the old Audis. Combine that with the blistering madness that is the 450hp biturbo 4.2l V8 and you'll get a great performer. Exterior should resemble the Audi V8 DTM racers from the early 90s.
http://img525.imageshack.**/img525/5142/v8dtm002bo2.jpg

my current build:

-1995 SN95 Ford Mustang GT5.0
-306 stroker kit
-full rebuild with forged internals
-GT40 heads
-Kenne Bell 2.2 Blowzilla
-FFR Ceramic Headers mated to 2.5" OR X-pipe exiting out both sides
-Roush suspension
-Baer Claw GT with 2-piston calipers and 13" cross-drilled rotors
-matte black painted 18" FR500's wrapped in 245/45-17 BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW's
-Saleen S351 body kit complete with Saleen S351 spoiler and hood
-matte black with a ghost GT500 Super Snake style racing stripe
s351_1.jpg

I really want to do something with an original Mini. I have an ambitious project and a more attainable one.

The simple one is a straight 2.0 16v VTEC swap with some better shocks and strengthened chassis. Stick it on Mini-Lite alloys with possibly upswept DTM twin exhaust in the middle but in general keep the thing looking stock. For a slightly simpler version it is quite popular to go for the 1.6 VTEC as the chassis doesn't need any real work.

For a very ambitious project I would love to make a road legal "racing" Mini. Get my brother to fabricate up a square section or tubular chassis and roll-cage that an original body can sit on. Then stick some form of small-block V6 or possibly even a V8 behind the front seats to make it mid engined. Huge amounts of power wouldn't really be necessary so even a reasonably powerful 4 banger would probably be enough. Again leave it looking pretty much stock and you have a brilliant sleeper.

I am going to tackle one of these when I have the time and the money.

I had a Caterham in my mind for quite a long time now. And this desire was then amplified by "A Racing Car is Born" series.
I'm also pretty positive that I will build it from a kit one day (when/if I'll have a garage space I can use), as long as they don't get outlawed or something. Nothing extreme, a Roadsport 1.8 will do just fine. Or even 1.6. It should be cheap, simple and light, no need for crazy power output.

I'm not a fan of customization and stuff, so I can't give you details. But it has to be something I'll make from scratch.

https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/01/30/caterhamsevenroadsport150717107.jpg

^ This is my realistic dream-car / perfect project for rainy weekends.

A Caterham is on my list as well.

Another thing would be to turn something like this:

http://img179.imageshack.**/img179/1128/8ab827is4.jpg

into this:

http://img169.imageshack.**/img169/5031/mercedes71qp3.jpg

...plus "building a dream" shouldn't be about spending as little money as possible anyways :). I won't do it anyways, I have enough work with my Fiat already.

Premier Padmini 1.8 with sr20det swap and full time attack suspension/aero
This is basically the indian version of the Lada brick, except it has a nissan A series engine. I'd swap one of the twin turbo SR20 engines fron the JDM Nissan Silvia into it, as it's rear wheel drive and light as a feather. I'd like this as a purpose built race car.
Jaguar XKE series 3 (I picked the least desirable one) with XJ12 V12.
I'd replace the v12 in this car with the 7L V12 from the Jag XJR 12 racing car or have TWR build me one. This would more than double the power output and with uprated (meaning modern supercar status) chassis, brakes, tires and suspension, this car would be a race car wearing an E-type's shell.
Suzuki Grand Vitara done a la Monster Tajima
Monster Tajima's grand vitara set the pikes peak recond this year. It's really a purpose build race car that shares basically no panels with the real car.
Alfa 159 Q4 with 4.2L V8 from Maserati
The alfa 159 q4 is a beautiful car that's screaming for more power. The Maser V8 is basically the only italian motor you could swap in that wouldn't be sacrilege or slow.
Sierra Cossie RS500 clone with a Merkur.
We never got the sierra cosworth here. We got a german sierra called a merkur. It's similar, but the engine and suspension are crap by comparison. This can and has to be changed.
60's Mustang fastback with a RB26DETT and drift suspension and a naff paint job in japan racing teh drift king :razz:
F&F Tokyo Drift joke.
The early 1990s Mazda Cosmo had a 20B 3 rotor rotary that produced upwards of 300 hp. Stick such a light motor in a well-balanced chassis like an MX5 and instant driver's car.
etc etc etc

The early 1990s Mazda Cosmo had a 20B 3 rotor rotary that produced upwards of 300 hp. Stick such a light motor in a well-balanced chassis like an MX5 and instant driver's car.
etc etc etc

I'd hate to shit on your dream here, but 20b's (with turbos and the lot) are far from lightweight. In fact a 13b-rew from a 3rd gen RX-7 is just as "heavy" as an LSx.

A consolation prize though, rip the turbos off and get a half-decent exhaust manifold/header made, and the motor still puts out 280hp :thumbup: