Building a dream

EVEN MORE car importation madness!

Introducing the Mazda AZ-1. A mid-engined, rear-wheel-drive kei-sized sports car from the guys that worked on the Miata (so you know that they know what they're doing) with a turbocharged 600cc engine, monocoque frame, 45:55 weight distribution and gullwing doors? It pretty much encapsulates everything that's amazing and weird about Japan in one cute, bite-sized package. Hell, RE Amemiya even built a 3-rotored version, which is pretty fitting. I can shoehorn an FC or FD engine in there, right? :mrgreen:

az1-1.jpg

Looks like a miniature Ford RS 200! I say put a turbocharged hayabusa engine in the back!! :D
FORD%20RS200%20MO1810%2010X18.jpg

You're forgetting that I'm American. I'll make a Chevy small-block fit in there somehow. :p

I don't know how that engine is mounted, but if it's transverse an LS4 would be perfect for you.

Car: 1955 Buick Roadmaster.

https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/02/14/TorqueOmata2545.jpg

This is my favorite car from the 50's, I love it even more than the 57 Bel Air. I'd do the almost exact same thing Jay Leno did with his, that is Corvette suspension front and rear, supercharged 502 under the hood, most everything else would be brand new yet look totally stock. I'd even have the same paint job too. It shows just how great looking Buick used to be able to make cars.

^ I'd do the same, but then with a 1951 Buick Eight Sedan, because my grandfather used to have one when my dad was little.
http://img98.imageshack.**/img98/6329/1951buickeightblacksle1nz9.jpg

New one, a DAF 66 Coupe.
http://img526.imageshack.**/img526/3963/66m13004qk7.jpg

Because it's a relatively small car, a smallblock would be a relatively tight squeeze, so a bike engine is another good choice, also because of their relatively compact gearboxes (the standard CVT in these cars was also pretty compact). Diff and suspension will get a thorough overhaul to cope with the increase in performance, of course. Outside shouls look pretty much like the car in the photograph above, although the bootlid could use a matte black plastic bootlid spoiler, like the ones that were commonplace in the 1970s. Fenders need a bit of widening to accomodate a wider track and tires. Interior gets a rollcage and 2 semi-racing seats fitted with 4-point racing harnesses.

Sweet. If you were serious about wanting to keep a CVT then you could rip the guts out of something like this...

Original08_AN650A_K8_3-4.jpg

I dont know how much power/torque they make, but I'm sure its more than the original. No way I would have a CVT in anything I drive/ride, mind you.

^ Which is 2 less than the car. So no-go :) I want at least 150 ponies.

:oops:

Maybe this would have a little more poke. Hard to get 150horses and CVT though. There are stacks of small Japanese cars with CVT. You could use one of those....
what am I saying. :?

What about a sea doo engine, the RXP-X 255 has 1494cc and 255hp! [User Posted Image]

Does it have a tranny?

DN-01-01.jpg

DN-01-09.jpg

Car: 1970 Dodge Challenger.

https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/02/16/rev.jpg

Second verse same as the first. Stiffen up the unibody, crate hemi, black and silver, yadda yadda yadda.

Pun has been nagging the hell out of me to post what my idea of a dream build would be. so here goes i guess.

I would like to build a large, but lightweight, sports vehicle. I would like to make it a true jack of all trades vehicle using modern technology in a fashion that could showcase what is possible. I would use Aircraft Aluminium to build a hybrid unibody w/separate integrated Frame. The Land Rover LR3 currently uses one of these, but it is VERY heavy since it consists of steel. A combination of Hydroforming and Extrusions would combine and press these two together to form the complete body. A weave of CF and High-strength steel would span the roof, saving weight and moving it to a lower center of gravity.

The Suspension would be a Pushrod-type, with High-strength steel upper and Lower A-arms, and a Multilink rear. Shocks would of course be progressive-rate with agressive valving, located lower, and more parallel with the fenders. Wide 18" Aluminium-Alloy rims will wrap around 6-pot calipers at all four corners w/ brake vents coming from the fascia, on 6-bolt hubs.

The Drivetrain can be best considered as the most unique, yet feasible aspect of the vehicle. Power will be coming from a 3.6L Flat-plane crank Boxer-type 8; with a magnetically controlled VVT 3v SOHC(think Nissan's VQ-series VVT on the latest 4.6L Modular V8, and you have a good understanding) the 8 could be manufactured by essentially bolting 2 Subie engines together end to end. the engine would be twin-turbo'd using smaller varible-vane units, specifically for quick spin-up and tuned for low-end torque. once the engine starts picking up, the combination of the boxer 8, the flat-plane crank, and the low displacement should give it an exotic high-rpm ability without detriment to NVH or reliability. All this power would be routed via a torque tube (think corvette) to a rear-mounted 6-speed Automatic transmission. the tranny computer would have up to 5 modes, ranging from snow, ice, normal, race and learn. Learn would be a special mode that in some cases, allow shift programming to be even more aggressive than race, basically a mode to specifcally adapt to your style of driving more quickly than a standard auto may. In LEARN mode, you can set up to 6 custom patterns for how the unit will respond. All this will be delivered to the ground via a 2-speed electromechanical diff that can either be manually set, or will respond automatically to drive patterns. There will be options for paddle shifters, Sequential(think indycar) or a real stir-stick. the chassis will be setup for active AWD that can be set to permanent ratios, or into custom traction settings as well.

The interior will be designed for maximum comfort, while bolstering and belt tensioning are tuned for sporting intentions. none of that active bolstering stuff, but the cushions will be firm, wide, and deeply bolstered. the Dash will use a Combination of Elements, the 'suspended' center console from a Volvo S40, a wide, even boat-dash to preserve interior space will be used, canting the IP and information center towards the driver in a more cockpit style. Electroluminescent Gauges (think Mazda6) will be employed for maximum night vision, and stealth-like good looks. the Primary dial and numbers will stay red, but the panel layout and secondary colorizations will be customizable using the full 32bit color palette, and feature extra options to set contrast, brightness, and opacity(yes, you can set wallpapers onto the IP panel as well. There will be adequate space for 4 large adult passengers (even though it will only have 2 full doors) and a large, open trunk. The final tips for this vehicle will be HID projectors with 3000K single-reflector brights, chromed Lexus-capsule-styled fog lamps, and Multielement LED/Light-tube side, parking, and stop indicators.

being that there is nothing quite like this anywhere even in concept form, I do not have pictures, but I invite you to use your imagination, or if you are artisitically inclined, to draw it.

Last edited:
I would like to build a large, but lightweight, sports vehicle. I would like to make it a true jack of all trades vehicle using modern technology in a fashion that could showcase what is possible. I would use Aircraft Aluminium to build a hybrid unibody w/separate integrated Frame. The Land Rover LR3 currently uses one of these, but it is VERY heavy since it consists of steel. A combination of Hydroforming and Extrusions would combine and press these two together to form the complete body. A weave of CF and High-strength steel would span the roof, saving weight and moving it to a lower center of gravity.

The Suspension would be a Pushrod-type, with High-strength steel upper and Lower A-arms, and a Multilink rear. Shocks would of course be progressive-rate with agressive valving, located lower, and more parallel with the fenders. Wide 18" Aluminium-Alloy rims will wrap around 6-pot calipers at all four corners w/ brake vents coming from the fascia, on 6-bolt hubs.

Screw all that, base it on a Pinzgauer chassis with a more amusing body design.

http://www.difflock.com/diffmag/issue14/pinzgauer/technical.shtml

Another approach would be to use a spaceframe to keep weight down, like Bowler. If you design it right a space frame will be very strong and light.

http://www.bowler-offroad.com/nemesis.htm

i thought about having a mass-produced tubular steel/chromoly frame, but i thought given it's dual-purpose, that more traditional manufacturing processes would suit it fine and make it more feasible.