Building a dream

This is a different version of my Park Avenue build. In some ways I'm more in favor of it since it would be far more practial and leave more of the original car when all was said and done. It would be more along the lines of a rebuild with some improvments with a goal of making a really nice daily driver that I could have some fun with.

Once again it would be totally taken apart and stripped. Instead of a RWD conversion I'd want somekind of AWD system rigged up leaving the engine and transmission in the stock transverse configuration. I guess it'd be something along the lines of how an Evo or Lancer or one of those tiny AWD rally cars are setup.

The engine would be pulled and be totally rebuilt, along with being stroked from a 3.8 to a 4.1, blueprinted, everything port matched, and all that other fancy stuff. Uptop I'd get a new 5th gen Eaton blower with a smaller pulley and have an intercooler system made up. The goal would be around 350hp. It would also get a nice custom dual exhaust to replace the 1 to 2 that's in there right now.

The 4 speed auto would be tossed out and a new 6 speed auto from GM would go in its place. If that wouldn't work then it would be made to work or I'd go with another 6 speed auto that would allow the AWD system to work. And no I'm not crazy, I do want an automatic for this.

For the suspension I'd want some company to build a custom setup that would offer a slightly firmer ride yet still be very comfortable.

I'd go one of a few ways on the body. It would be stripped and smoothed out no matter what, but I'm not sure about changes. I could leave it mostly stock with a few tweaks here and there, or call in Chip Foose and see what kind of ideas he would have. I like the second option the best since we could share input and probably come up with something really nice. One change no matter what would be the inclusion of ventiports on the front fenders.

https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/02/23/ventiports.JPG

They wouldn't be that style, but you get the idea. Each side would get 4, even though the car only has a V6. I justify it getting 4 per side instead of 3 because the power will be going to all 4 wheels.

The paint would once again be black, the roof would be silver, and a white/silver pinstripe at the beltline.

The interior would be all new, like a combonation of the stock setup and the new CTS. I want someone to look at it and wonder if it could have rolled out of the factory with it. That being I want it to keep Buick touches.

When all is said and done I would have a very nice daily driver with serious improvments all while leaving the spirit of the car intact.

Okay, let's go completely bonkers, take a Porsche RS Spyder

800x600-6.jpg

And fit it with a qualifying spec TAG-Porsche F1 Turbo engine from the 80s... 1,5 litre V6, twin turbo, 1000 hp+...
TAGTurboEnginePorsche01.jpg

Or if something more dureable is wanted, fit it with a 956's engine in stead
956.jpg

^^^ And you end up with a car to annihilate all the diesels from motor racing.
Yes, diseasels (sorry, diesels :lol:) are for tractor pulling...

Anyway when presented with the RS Turbo F1/956, all of the drivers will probably run for cover... :l

I heard about those other ones, I kind of just posted the first one that came to memory. Though in unsupercharged form the Hartley v8 seems to be the most powerful.

Well the Powertec RPA 2.8 will do 450hp in butterfly configuration (430hp with plenum like the Hartley) weighs 88kg dry, while the 2.4l RST-V8 will do 380hp, weighs 74kg dry, and has been in development since the mid-nineties.

The Hartley is the least developed (work started in 2002) 2.8l, 400hp, 90kg, so you pays your money.

Hey I just found this: http://news.windingroad.com/aftermarket/caterhams-rst-v8-packs-v-8-ungodly-power-into-seven/ Caterham are fitting RSTs in the factory now... the price is a bit... erm... I'd wager that that car will cane some serious records. I want one.

http://www.rsperformance.co.uk/

Bugger, only 8 being built!

I see that and raise
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw9FTFlSsB0&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Sounds a bit like a top less Dauer 962 with the crazy knob turned to 11

:thumbsup:
I would really like to get an impression of how it would sound though, the only bit of good quality sound of a TAG-Porsche engine sound is in the video called "The spirit of Porsche" in the Porsche Web Cinema. It's only a very short burst, but still...

Warning! Anorak stuff, read only if you can be arsed:
It's not so much a 962, as that had an all water-cooled engine, whereas the 956 had the engine with an air-cooled block and water-cooled cylinder heads. Or anyway, screw that it could of course be fitted with 9ff's 910 hp 4-litre flat six, that is water cooled, so then it would be a (carbon fiber) top less 962 with the crazy knob turned up to 11. And I don't think there would be even the slightest hope in hell getting this road legal, unless trying to do so in the UK or something...

I would really like to get an impression of how it would sound though, the only bit of good quality sound of a TAG-Porsche engine sound is in the video called "The spirit of Porsche" in the Porsche Web Cinema. It's only a very short burst, but still...

Warning! Anorak stuff, read only if you can be arsed:

Nice thing about the US, if you build something that can kill you, you're more than welcome to build it and drive it. While thats ok, if you want to buy someone elses death trap, we are screwed.

https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/02/28/sn65fordmustangfastbackcobraengine.jpg
+
https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/02/28/M6007GT.jpg
+
2xhttps://pic.armedcats.net/2008/02/28/ggt3540.jpg
= :twisted::twisted::twisted:

Last edited:
Okay, let's go completely bonkers, take a Porsche RS Spyder

800x600-6.jpg

Am i the only one that thinks they took the Audi R10 TDI and just spraypainted it black and slapped on some porsche badges? :D

edit: pic

audi1.jpg

All of this race car, V8 madness has made me think of something to build. If you can get kit cars and 7 knock offs road legal, I don't think a rear engine '60s Indy car inspired machine would be too hard to get on the road.

67indy.jpg

I think I might build it to a slightly larger scale than that. Also, I don't generally dream about truly absurd builds, so this is (in my mind) fairly realistic and attainable. I just need to go finish my mechanical engineering degree first :lol:.

For the chassis I would utilize 4130 steel tubing for it's relative strength, and it's cheap! Gusseted, tig welded, the whole nine yards: I'm not going to sacrifice safety for weight (at least not for this car). A double wishbone, coilover sprung suspension front and rear would keep it off the ground. Exposed coilovers would be simpler to execute, but for aestetic reasons I would consider a pushrod operated system, at least up front. For such a small car, brakes don't need to be overkill. Maybe some 12in Impala discs and aftermarket 4 piston calipers would do the job. It would have to have some old magnesium wheels with knock offs though.

The powertrain would be simple. A high-revving (7-8k rpm if possible), ~350hp, smaller displacement SBC V8 would be my engine of choice. Just to throw all the reliability of that set up out, I'd opt for a Hillborn or Kinsler fuel injection system. Gotta have those 8 stacks sticking up back there on an Indy car! A close ratio Muncie 4 speed, or possibly a Saginaw box with a Corvair axle, or maybe a VW or Porsche transaxle would be used to get the power down.

edit: Thinking about it, anything with a mechanical shift linkage would be a bitch to put together, if even possible in such an application. A sequential, cable or hydraulic operated transmission would probably be a better choice, both for ease of assembly and operation.

Last edited:
All of this race car, V8 madness has made me think of something to build. If you can get kit cars and 7 knock offs road legal, I don't think a rear engine '60s Indy car inspired machine would be too hard to get on the road.

The powertrain would be simple. A high-revving (7-8k rpm if possible), ~350hp, smaller displacement SBC V8 would be my engine of choice.
Just to throw all the reliability of that set up out, I'd opt for a Hillborn or Kinsler fuel injection system.

If Homer Simpson was a car he'd be saying what I'm thinking "mmmmm 302 Chevy at 7500 rpms." You'd have a bit more than 350hp though ;)

I'd love (and may actually try to in the future) build a car in the old Indy Roadster style (i.e. not mid-engined). Complete with 4 cylinder twin cam engine, obviously I'd kill for it to be an Offy, but I'd settle for a modified Duratec.

Last edited:
I think I might build it to a slightly larger scale than that.

:p Fatty!

Otherwise, you gotta do this project, i'm sure there are cheap kits out there.

Just get a modern turbo 4 cylander, probably cheaper, lighter and putting out as much power as that. Either way if you do this project you would be god to us all :D (and dead, i think 1 in 2 F1 drivers back then died in those cars)

^^^ And you end up with a car to annihilate all the diesels from motor racing.

But not actually in a sanctioned race, because you'd not conform to the rules. Even if you did, they'd be laughing at you when your engine wore out after a few laps or you ran out of fuel not long after your engine should have gone pop.

You mean like the Light Car Company Rocket?

2403-1.jpg

The powertrain would be simple. A high-revving (7-8k rpm if possible), ~350hp, smaller displacement SBC V8 would be my engine of choice. Just to throw all the reliability of that set up out, I'd opt for a Hillborn or Kinsler fuel injection system. Gotta have those 8 stacks sticking up back there on an Indy car! A close ratio Muncie 4 speed, or possibly a Saginaw box with a Corvair axle, or maybe a VW or Porsche transaxle would be used to get the power down.

edit: Thinking about it, anything with a mechanical shift linkage would be a bitch to put together, if even possible in such an application. A sequential, cable or hydraulic operated transmission would probably be a better choice, both for ease of assembly and operation.

Are cables not mechanical these days? Routing a rod linkage would be more painful than a cable, but a lot of cars run cables.

I wouldn't want a 200kg+ engine in something so light, a bike engine would be a much better option, but if you insist on the look, a 90kg bike derived V8 would be a better fit. In fact I think that the initial development on the RST-V8 was intended for the LCC Rocket. You'd want a light and reliable transmission to go with it such as a Quaife Ralt or a Hewland NMT.