Building a new home computer

^ look for a PSU made by OCZ, Corsair, Seasonic, Zalman. They are brands I would have the most faith in. It doesn't need to be a powerful one. 300W or over would do the job.

So: this or this. The 80 Plus certified thing means the PSU reaches a certain energy efficiency. I'm not certain as to whether it also reflects the quality of the components as well, but from first principles an inefficient PSU will generate more heat for a given electrical output and fry itself sooner :dunno:

^ look for a PSU made by OCZ, Corsair, Seasonic, Zalman. They are brands I would have the most faith in. It doesn't need to be a powerful one. 300W or over would do the job.

So: this or this. The 80 Plus certified thing means the PSU reaches a certain energy efficiency. I'm not certain as to whether it also reflects the quality of the components as well, but from first principles an inefficient PSU will generate more heat for a given electrical output and fry itself sooner :dunno:

So I guess Im getting a good PSU and a seperate case then.......I'll be browsing but direct canada doesnt have many PSU options. I might just go out to NCIX to buy one.

More importantly though, how will I transfer old files to the new HDD?

Can I:
1.) build computer with new drive, install windows 7 into the new drive
2.) insert old drive (that has xp on it)
3.) boot the new drive (that has windows 7 on it)
4.) access the old drive through my computer and copy pasta my documents
5.) ?????
6.) PROFIT!

Yes ... that is how to do it. Most important step is do not connect old HDD until Windows is installed on new HDD.

^ Looks fine. If you are not sure about the case, have a look at this one. $30 more and will be a little bit more fiddly to install, but much smaller. They don't seem to have many cases that are specifically for microATX boards.

^ Looks fine. If you are not sure about the case, have a look at this one. $30 more and will be a little bit more fiddly to install, but much smaller. They don't seem to have many cases that are specifically for microATX boards.

Urgh....thats a butt ugly case and way too expensive. Thanks though :p

I have about 1350 bucks worth of parts stuffed in a 60 dollar sale price case, as long as it has decent airflow you will be fine.

Just found out my current case doesn't support mATX lol.

Dam there aren't very many cases on directcanada for under 40 bucks.

UPDATED: Found a great case for the price. Cooler master elite 342. Updated the first post

edit: This case only has one front fan. Will a second rear fan be required for the build? If so, should the front fan pull/push and the rear fan push/pull respectively?

EDIT: Someone recommend me a good HDD, the current selection has so many reviews and feedback saying it failed within a year.

Last edited:
Just found out my current case doesn't support mATX lol.

Dam there aren't very many cases on directcanada for under 40 bucks.

UPDATED: Found a great case for the price. Cooler master elite 342. Updated the first post

edit: This case only has one front fan. Will a second rear fan be required for the build? If so, should the front fan pull/push and the rear fan push/pull respectively?

EDIT: Someone recommend me a good HDD, the current selection has so many reviews and feedback saying it failed within a year.

Should be fine if you aren't overclocking. I suggest assembling it, and installing a temp monitor software. If you see your temps get above 45-50C then add in another fan. The front should flow into the case, and the rear should exhaust out.

More importantly though, how will I transfer old files to the new HDD?

Windows easy transfer @ windows 7

Can I:
1.) build computer with new drive, install windows 7 into the new drive
2.) insert old drive (that has xp on it)
3.) boot the new drive (that has windows 7 on it)
4.) access the old drive through my computer and copy pasta my documents
5.) ?????
6.) PROFIT!

1.) yes
2.) no, run windows easy transfer on the new windows7 computer with "this is the new computer" and palce its file into some usb-hd with adequate space for the files.
3. no, boot the old computer with xp and run the easy transfer -file in the usb-hd that you created in part 2.) and select "This is old computer"
4. select users and all the files you wanna transfer, wait 15mins to infinately to let it transfer files (tested with my 160Gb laptop hd, 50mins of 38Gb personal stuff, including some list of programs you installed into old pc)
5.) after transfer, move the now filled up usb-hd to new computer and press continue on the windows easy transfer and select where the easy transfer file is
6.) wait untile transfer is finished
7.) ??????
8.) profit

Windows easy transfer @ windows 7

1.) yes
2.) no, run windows easy transfer on the new windows7 computer with "this is the new computer" and palce its file into some usb-hd with adequate space for the files.
3. no, boot the old computer with xp and run the easy transfer -file in the usb-hd that you created in part 2.) and select "This is old computer"
4. select users and all the files you wanna transfer, wait 15mins to infinately to let it transfer files (tested with my 160Gb laptop hd, 50mins of 38Gb personal stuff, including some list of programs you installed into old pc)
5.) after transfer, move the now filled up usb-hd to new computer and press continue on the windows easy transfer and select where the easy transfer file is
6.) wait untile transfer is finished
7.) ??????
8.) profit

I think he said the old computer is non-functional.

I think he said the old computer is non-functional.

Smart man.

Guys, I hear alot of hard drives failing miserably. Now I have this one model in mind, the western digital WD5000AAKX. It's 500gb but I've been hearing mixed reviews. Its either a horrible fail or a great HDD.

Help!!!

Looking good :) and as a temperature monitor I can recommend Real Temp (does CPU temperatures)..
When you are building the rig make sure that when you are done you do some cable management (tie some together and route them so that they don't obstruct airflow), this should help cooling too.

Looking good :) and as a temperature monitor I can recommend Real Temp (does CPU temperatures)..
When you are building the rig make sure that when you are done you do some cable management (tie some together and route them so that they don't obstruct airflow), this should help cooling too.

Yes that is one part I am DEFINITELY not looking forward too. To make matters worse, Im working in a mATX case with a top mounted non-modular PSU QQ.

I got some reusable velcro straps from the dollar store a couple days ago in prep for the cable management.

How are you going with this? Any progress?

Hey! Thanks for sticking with me I guess <3.

It's done! My dad got a case from a friend so he saved some money there. Its a HTPC case so it was awful to work with and the cable management is even more awful but its DONE!

Ill get some pictures later; thanks for all the help guys! Rep rep rep rep for everyone yaayyy

I have a small issue though, the ram is rated at 9-9-9-24 but CPUZ spits out 9-9-9-28. Not TOO big of an issue but yeah....