Bullitt Mustang in Production....

Looks > Engineering ?

ARE YOU FAWKING SERIOUS?

Believe it or not, in certain instances it can be true; just look at old live-axle, drum-brake Ferraris (and they probably had leaf springs too :-o). I know you're German, but surely.... (kidding)

Yeah, that's me in my Crown Vic going through a autocross.

You autocross in a Crown Vicoria??!?! :lmao: OK, I'll give you credit for being game (or crazy, or possibly both). I've told you about one of my experiences. I also have a degree in engineering, so my opinions are biased by that experience. I could go on but I'm not going to change your mind. Lets just say that our experiences are different and have consequently formed different opinions.

Looks > Engineering ?

ARE YOU FAWKING SERIOUS?
And that's what leads to new BMW's having computer controlled oil monitors that replace the dipstick and require you to drain all your oil into a container and measure it like caveman just to make sure it's correct. Isn't engineering wonderful.

There is an extent to that though. The solid axle Mustangs are not half bad really. I was shamed when I found out that a Mustang GT can pull better handling stats then a Pontiac GTO (4 wheel independent). They also road-race Mustangs, yes with the solid rear, and yes, they're very successful.

I also have a degree in engineering, so my opinions are biased by that experience.
or lack thereof.

you sat and read some books, and this guy has actual seat time. Why are you the one laughing?

OT I'm curious to know exactly what kind of engineering you have your degree in?

An engineering degree is way, WAY, WAY moe than sitting and reading books. There's practical components (inclding industrial experience) to go with the theory, not to mention design and construction. It's about understanding. That's why I'm laughing.

But, hey, each to their own. You can go racing (or auto-cross) in anything you like, as long as you're having fun.

PS: It's mechanical engineering (but not the strand related directly to automotive design).

You autocross in a Crown Vicoria??!?! :lmao: OK, I'll give you credit for being game (or crazy, or possibly both). I've told you about one of my experiences. I also have a degree in engineering, so my opinions are biased by that experience. I could go on but I'm not going to change your mind. Lets just say that our experiences are different and have consequently formed different opinions.

Let's just agree to disagree on this issue shall we? :)

Kudos for us for keeping it in a debate form with minimal use of the word tool. :lol:

An engineering degree is way, WAY, WAY moe than sitting and reading books. There's practical components (inclding industrial experience) to go with the theory, not to mention design and construction. It's about understanding. That's why I'm laughing.

But, hey, each to their own. You can go racing (or auto-cross) in anything you like, as long as you're having fun.

PS: It's mechanical engineering (but not the strand related directly to automotive design).
I have engineers in my family, my brother is going to school for mechanical engineering and one of my best friends is a mechanical engineer(and I myself like such subjects, just not enough to go to school for), so I do know a bit about what it takes, I am simply pointing out that you have no real world experience in this matter, and perhaps aren't really qualified to comment on the subject with any kind of authority. Obviously there are many engineers working for companies that make cars with solid real axles, or leaf springs, or what have you, and it seems to work fine for them. There are solid rear axle cars, both old and new, doing well in various types of racing, mustangs and AE86 being two examples.

I caution you against using your studies as a basis for attacking "less than optimal" systems or devices, as real world experience always trumps numbers on a page, and may contradict what you've read. In addition, you should always think of things as being part of an overall system, and that extends beyond the vehicle itself.

I also have a degree in engineering, so my opinions are biased by that experience. I could go on but I'm not going to change your mind. Lets just say that our experiences are different and have consequently formed different opinions.
Which is exactly why you of all people should have faith in engineering skill and ability that can make a 2-ton RWD American tank hustle with the best of them.

I used to be an engineering student*, my father is an engineering professor, and half my friends are currently in mechanical engineering degrees. You're not the only one. :p

*But I couldn't hack it anymore :cry:

I used to be an engineering student*, my father is an engineering professor, and half my friends are currently in mechanical engineering degrees. You're not the only one. :p

Ex-engineers unite! I dropped mechanical engineering after 3 semesters. Calculus 2 and Engineering Physics 2 did it for me :?. I did Formula SAE, and it was always hard not to "engineer for engineerings sake", you know, like ze Germans. It can be hard to keep things in perspective, just because something is "old" doesn't mean it's irrelevant.

Which is exactly why you of all people should have faith in engineering skill and ability that can make a 2-ton RWD American tank hustle with the best of them.

I can appreciate what they've done while at the same time maintaining that it could have been done better with different technology. You can refine a live rear axle all you like, but it's still a live rear axle, with the inherent shortcomings of the design. That doesn't mean that you can't admire what someone has doen with it though.

That's why engineering is a funny discipline: you can design something that works perfectly well, then someone else can come along and do it totally different but achieve a similar end result.

I'm glad I'm not the only engineering graduate around ... it'd be kinda lonely with no peers :p

I would rather drive that Mustang instead of any BMW, Merc, or Audi of similar price.

I drive a BMW 5 series, which I absolutely love... but if I had the chance to buy one of these bullitt mustangs I would jump at it. Mustangs aren't the best car around but imo they are super cool, and the bullitt mustang is one of the coolest.

Look at the price points of the respective cars. I'd take a GT for $25,000 US over a Nissan Micra in the UK for the same (equivalent) price, no matter where I'm driving. I'll have a hell of a lot more fun in a low-tech V8 tank putting power to a live rear than a tiny I-4 juicing the front wheels with IRS.