Bunny Rabbit Racing (working title)

I really want to see this happen, haha. Team Not-A-Dude, I salute you.

Eventhough the ammount of fluffy pinkness in this thread is overwhelming, its all bloody awesome!

Go Girls!

I want to be on the bunny team but on top of the obvious no time for a texas adventure I don't exactly have racing experience unless you count crazy MA traffic conditions :(
No racing experience required. Lots of people have their first track experience at LeMons. We can talk you through... Except for the whole "Texas is a bit far away" thing. :(

In that case I'd better start hitting the gym. I am a fair hand at mechanical work, and my parents live in TX now so I go by there fairly often, so consider this post my application to possibly join. In fact, depending on when the next race is, I can see if my sister, who doesn't drive stick yet but once tried to learn on my last MR2, might be interested.
Sweeeet! We need people to help us keep the car running! *eeep* We're targeting the spring Gator-O-Rama, which should be mid to late February or early March.

Wow, I'd be up for this. I had the wagon version of this as my first car- and drove it everywhere till it died. I've gone to several driver skills autocrosses and a couple of track days with the beemer wagon, and I drive on the freeway a lot, which I think would be good prep for LeMons from what I've seen. I do live in the great "Northwet" which makes getting to most of the races somewhat difficult, but where there's a will there's a way, especially if the pit crew is guys in bunny costumes!
We'd love to have you.

For those interested in driving, this is a significant financial commitment. There are the costs to build and run the car - the entry fee is $500 plus (effectively) $150 per driver, and a few other entry-related costs. We'll also have to pay for everything on the car. These costs will be divided equally among the drivers. Additionally, you need gear to race. The LeMons rules specify exactly what (see 3.4 and 3.7 specifically), and LeMons does sell sets of qualified gear. You may also be able to find gear (used) on craigslist, ebay, or racer forums (look for local SCCA or NASA forums - NASA being National Auto Sport Association, in this case). As the rules state, sharing gear is legal, but quite gross. You sweat a lot in a fire suit, even in cooler temperatures. Please PM me for more information about the costs I expect us to face for this race!

We need between 4 and 6 drivers. We're looking for closer to 6 than 4, as this will mean lower costs per driver (it means less seat time, too, but we'll live). We can have many mechanics, but an "official" mechanic for the team is a $75 entry. Entry for spectators for the weekend is typically $30, or $20 for a single day. In theory, spectators cannot work on cars. In reality... ;)

That was a pass?! I don't want to know what a fail would've involved.
You got us back safely, with only one bad stall, in a car that's very difficult to drive (I've had racers and driving instructors stall my car). That's definitely a pass for a first lesson!

Pfft, that car was easy once it got going! Just, um, getting it going was hard.

Six drivers means less time for Epic Coco N00b Fails, too. :)

Last edited:
Not gonna lie, I kind of want to go after Organizer's Choice in terms of "ridiculousness of theme." Those bunny ears better be on most of the weekend, not unlike how the Clown Car guys showed up to the drivers' meeting in wigs. Tails optional, but encouraged. Anyone up for bunny hopping for BS inspection? :D If it is in February or March, all the Easter stuff will be out in stores. Bribes in eggs and/or baskets, anyone? Can anyone cook a wabbit stew?

I wonder if Build-a-Bear has a little bunny-sized racing suit?
This is why you're in charge of theme! :D

Woah, this is awesome. Get it done!
Just don't finish ahead of us if we go to the same race. Pleeeeeeeaaase.

And another Woah, pink piranhas lives in the northwet, goes to autox, and drives a bimmer wagon? We may have already met in real life!
Don't worry about the trip, I just made a very similar trip for the South Fall race in South Carolina and never regretted it. My plane tickets were even cheaper than tickets to Vegas.

Last edited:
I wish I was not going to be in school during this race. :( I would love to drive!

Here's the bunnywagen at its simplest, rendered in stunning detail in MS Paint:

https://pic.armedcats.net/n/ni/ninjacoco/2010/10/06/fluffywagen_simple.JPG

The wheels aren't flat pie-dishes, though, so the flowers would end up a lot smaller than that, but you get the idea.

Big flopping bunny ears on top. A big puffy tail on the back. YES.

Here's one with the usual Puffalump tuft of yarn hair on top:

https://pic.armedcats.net/n/ni/ninjacoco/2010/10/06/fluffywagen_hair.JPG

I think I like it without the hair, though.

Here's a version with the number and the standard "thanks for giving us money/track space/food/lilac paint/etc." bits:

https://pic.armedcats.net/n/ni/ninjacoco/2010/10/06/fluffywagen_detailed.jpg

I think "Not a Dude" should be a lot smaller--just a small line underneath the driver's door in magenta to get the lulz across--but it's in bigger writing so you can see it here. I definitely think the number ('87 was when that Puffalump was made!) should be in a balloon like the Puffalump logo on Fluffy Bunny's foot, though. It'd be cute. :)

Last edited:
type IIIs are awsome .. great car

Come to think of it, if I can get a plain white pompon (the big fluffy old-school kind with longer strands)...the hair might be kinda cool.

If all else fails, I'd have a pompon to use for a tail.

Woah, this is awesome. Get it done!
Just don't finish ahead of us if we go to the same race. Pleeeeeeeaaase.

And another Woah, pink piranhas lives in the northwet, goes to autox, and drives a bimmer wagon? We may have already met in real life!
Don't worry about the trip, I just made a very similar trip for the South Fall race in South Carolina and never regretted it. My plane tickets were even cheaper than tickets to Vegas.
I wouldn't worry about the fluffy bunny beating the trans prix on speed, but those old vw's are pretty tough (I know, I tried to kill mine on more than one occasion) so we'd be more likely to beat you on reliability:lol:

Anyway, we might have crossed paths depending upon which events you go to. It's a long story but I got mixed up with the Porsche tribe and help with their driver skills classes when I can (and do the open autox afterwards). I haven't been to the track this year due to scheduling issues and needing new tires to pass tech, but was out there twice last year with the Porsche boys and, well, a couple of girls.

Hey, none of the races are close enough to drive to, but Texas is certainly one of the closer ones so that helps.

For those interested in driving, this is a significant financial commitment. There are the costs to build and run the car - the entry fee is $500 plus (effectively) $150 per driver, and a few other entry-related costs. We'll also have to pay for everything on the car. These costs will be divided equally among the drivers. Additionally, you need gear to race. The LeMons rules specify exactly what (see 3.4 and 3.7 specifically), and LeMons does sell sets of qualified gear. You may also be able to find gear (used) on craigslist, ebay, or racer forums (look for local SCCA or NASA forums - NASA being National Auto Sport Association, in this case). As the rules state, sharing gear is legal, but quite gross. You sweat a lot in a fire suit, even in cooler temperatures. Please PM me for more information about the costs I expect us to face for this race!

We need between 4 and 6 drivers. We're looking for closer to 6 than 4, as this will mean lower costs per driver (it means less seat time, too, but we'll live). We can have many mechanics, but an "official" mechanic for the team is a $75 entry. Entry for spectators for the weekend is typically $30, or $20 for a single day. In theory, spectators cannot work on cars. In reality... ;)
I would second the more drivers the better. I'm not an unfit person but I found track driving to be a lot more tiring than you would think, both mentally and physically- my stomach muscles were working harder than in any Pilates class:lol:

As regarding costs, since this car has been used before at LeMons it would make sense that there is less to do to get it ready than what Team FG had to do for the trans prix so that would reduce the cost somewhat- or not?

And of course, I went out and bought an inexpensive open face helmet for autox and track driving, which won't work for LeMons. sigh.

Oh, and what do we do when it breaks mid-race?! None of us, not a one of the four, knows enough to keep this kind of old heap running. Maybe we can get Bo to keep it going, but he may be playing with his Maserati that day (oh, yes, Bo is building a Maserati BiTurbo for LeMons/Chump).
If I'm not there with FGR (or hell, if I am and I'm not otherwise busy), I'll drag my ass there and wrench on the summbitch. I won't have the slightest fucking clue what I'm doing on a rear engined aircooled carbed monstrosity, but whatthehell.

Towing? That's what they make ufail trucks and trailers for. New tires? Probably, but then again it IS an aircooled VW, which ain't exactly a tire melter. Coco learning stick? Who the hell says you need to shift in Lemons?

By the way, if any new or prospective drivers happen to wear a mens size 12, I have some shoes I'll sell at a steep discount. Only raced twice.

Last edited:
As regarding costs, since this car has been used before at LeMons it would make sense that there is less to do to get it ready than what Team FG had to do for the trans prix so that would reduce the cost somewhat- or not?
I'm not sure what kind of costs Team FG faced. I've run in two LeMons races, both of which used cars that had already run (I drove a TR7 that had already won the Index of Effluencey, and then this VW, which had already run as the 'Dillo). Both cars were registered as 4 driver teams. The total cost for the TR7 was $3200 and the VW was $4500. Obviously, the total cost would go up a bit with additional drivers, but the cost per driver would be lower. Before anyone panics over the costs of these builds: The TR7 needed repairs and got multiple upgrades between the races, and the VW was a high-budget build ("if the car could use it, do it, don't worry about cost" appeared to be the attitude of the team). It's possible this car could be significantly cheaper than the others. It's possible it could be in the cost of the Triumph or a bit more. I don't expect it to approach the cost of the VW's previous run, as we'll be doing a money-saving build.

If I'm not there with FGR (or hell, if I am and I'm not otherwise busy), I'll drag my ass there and wrench on the summbitch. I won't have the slightest fucking clue what I'm doing on a rear engined aircooled carbed monstrosity, but whatthehell.
Heh, it's a flat-4 pushrod with hydraulic lifters. Fantastic, eh? We'll take what help we can get. :)

Towing? That's what they make ufail trucks and trailers for. New tires? Probably, but then again it IS an aircooled VW, which ain't exactly a tire melter. Coco learning stick? Who the hell says you need to shift in Lemons?
Unfortunately, I live in Houston, the race is in Houston, and the car is in (near) Austin. However, every car I've driven in LeMons has been towed over by Taylor Rotorsports, for less than it'd cost us to rent the truck and trailer. I'd just need to confirm that he'll have space for us. It's generally a pretty good deal, having Chris bring your car over - he gets there Thursday, stakes out some pit space, takes care of things. He's a great guy.

Tires will depend on how much use the car gets in Chump in November.

And Coco can sorta drive stick. We just have to get her used to "crappy old VW transmission where finding gears is umfun". We have many months for that. She'll be fine!

By the way, just because there was a race at the end of February this year doesn't mean there will be one in 2011. The 2011 schedule is due out sometime this month, though.

EyeMWing, it's been two years in a row that there's been a Gator-O-Rama at MSR-H in late Feb, bleeding into the first day of March. While that doesn't mean there will be one in 2011, it means there's a decent likelihood. The MSR-H LeMons tend to pull in over 120 entries, and the guys running the track really enjoy the LeMons races, indicating a high likelihood of future races. :)