Bunny Rabbit Racing (working title)

Good question. I'm not sure. I had thought Bo said it was 1600cc (maybe he's rounding down on the 1679cc, or maybe I misheard or maybe he's just wrong!). Are there any key identifiers between the sizes? From the repair manuals we have, I get the impression that all the type 4 engines are essentially the same, at least from the perspective of trying to keep the old POS running.

Good question. I'm not sure. I had thought Bo said it was 1600cc (maybe he's rounding down on the 1679cc, or maybe I misheard or maybe he's just wrong!). Are there any key identifiers between the sizes? From the repair manuals we have, I get the impression that all the type 4 engines are essentially the same, at least from the perspective of trying to keep the old POS running.

I can't believe I looked this up, but here goes. In my old (!) copy of "How to keep your Volkswagen alive, a manual of step by step proceedures for the compleat (yes, it's spelled that way in the title) idiot", it says that the type III fastback had a 1600 engine in '71. Then I remembered that this is a type IV engine. Depending upon whether it came from a sedan or a wagon, it's either 1679 like Bo says or if we're really lucky and the engine came from a wagon it'll be a 1795cc, like that's going to make any difference.:lol:
And I thought the shifter looked different than the original in the picture. Any improvement in shifting will be a plus, certainly.

The car is a 2.5 hour drive away from me, so I don't have the engine code. I know some of its "features" as I helped rebuild the heads, adjust the valves, etc. Whatever it is, though, it's waaay down on power... As if that wasn't assumed. :)

I was on the interwebs looking for a "make your car a bunny" kit and did find one for the low low price of $19.95. Sadly it was no longer available (did they sell all of them or did no one buy them.:hmm:) Anyway, looking at the picture of the nose, I thought it might be possible to make one with a little design work. I have a huge craft store not too far from my house and will take a look see at what's available later this week. I'm thinking that a lot of the fluffy material that could be used for the nose (and tail for that matter) are probably nylon or polyester which=flammable which might not be the best thing to put on the outside of a racecar :blink:but maybe there's other options.

Just cut a couple of bits of plate and paint them white before welding on the front for the teeth. Paint a pink nose on the hood.

Whiskers and a cottontail? Trickier. Tail could be foam rubber.

Do the rules allow for sharpened metal whiskers at opposition tire height? :evil:

I'm thinking that a lot of the fluffy material that could be used for the nose (and tail for that matter) are probably nylon or polyester which=flammable which might not be the best thing to put on the outside of a racecar :blink:but maybe there's other options.

Flammable decoration and LeMons go together like steak and potato - faux-fur and carpeted body panels are bizarrely common (Think Renault Le Car done up as Pepe Le Pew). And really, nylon ain't as much of a deathtrap as the ever popular spraypaint-soaked cardboard. See that new rule about OE-type hoods? That's because a bunch of geniuses were making hoods out of cardboard (or even more alarmingly, sharp-edged sheet metal)

Last edited:
I was on the interwebs looking for a "make your car a bunny" kit and did find one for the low low price of $19.95. Sadly it was no longer available (did they sell all of them or did no one buy them.:hmm:) Anyway, looking at the picture of the nose, I thought it might be possible to make one with a little design work. I have a huge craft store not too far from my house and will take a look see at what's available later this week. I'm thinking that a lot of the fluffy material that could be used for the nose (and tail for that matter) are probably nylon or polyester which=flammable which might not be the best thing to put on the outside of a racecar :blink:but maybe there's other options.

Heh, I just ordered one of these! I'm going to see if it's the right size and an acceptible color as soon as it comes in. Fluffy's nose is peach, though, so I may have to pick up a can of peach spray paint to make it look right. The shape of the nose is PERFECT. I just wish it as peach instead of pink! (I can't sew, either.)

FWIW, Puffalump noses are fuzzy velveteen. :)

I don't think flammability is too much of an issue on the front of a rump-engined car.

I was thinking of finding a cheerleader pompon (not like the streamer ones I got for hair, but one like the cheerleaders actually use that's just a tightly-packed ball of fluff) to use as the tail. If that overheats, it'll just melt, dribble down, and make the bunny look like it ate habanero carrots.

If the kit nose doesn't work, heck, I guess we've got a "make your judgemobile a bunny" kit bribe. I found a giant basket that would be perfect for Easter Bunny bribery, haha.

Last edited:
If anyone's good at making vectors...

http://forums.finalgear.com/photosh...acing-vector-requests-help-47977/#post1575309

I may post a bit about a Puffalump outline for a t-shirt in that thread soon, too. I was thinking "Fluffy Bunny Racing" could go on the front and next to an outline of the bunny and "Eater of Souls" on the back next to an outline of the bunny's back. Should anything else go on there? I was thinking the logo could be all in white, too, since that stands out well enough against lilac (black would be too srs bsnss, IMHO) and then we wouldn't have to pay more to have a multi-color design made. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Last edited:
Talk to Blayde, he made the supercharger vector for last years FGR shirts.

https://pic.armedcats.net/p/pu/punisherbass/2010/06/16/100_3497.JPG

If anyone's good at making vectors...

http://forums.finalgear.com/photosh...acing-vector-requests-help-47977/#post1575309

I may post a bit about a Puffalump outline for a t-shirt in that thread soon, too. I was thinking "Fluffy Bunny Racing" could go on the front and next to an outline of the bunny and "Eater of Souls" on the back next to an outline of the bunny's back. Should anything else go on there? I was thinking the logo could be all in white, too, since that stands out well enough against lilac (black would be too srs bsnss, IMHO) and then we wouldn't have to pay more to have a multi-color design made. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Um...Lemme see what I can do with it. ;)

Heh, I just ordered one of these! I'm going to see if it's the right size and an acceptible color as soon as it comes in. Fluffy's nose is peach, though, so I may have to pick up a can of peach spray paint to make it look right. The shape of the nose is PERFECT. I just wish it as peach instead of pink! (I can't sew, either.)

FWIW, Puffalump noses are fuzzy velveteen. :).

I think if the nose has the right shape but wrong color, painting it would be easier than trying to make one. I can sew, sort of, but it's doubtful I could get the shape right without a lot of work.

If the kit nose doesn't work, heck, I guess we've got a "make your judgemobile a bunny" kit bribe. I found a giant basket that would be perfect for Easter Bunny bribery, haha.

Easter bunny bribery works for me :cool:

This is seriously one of the coolest things ive seen a loooong time.

You girls are awesome. Brava