Burning a DVD in HD...

BigDaveDogg

Car(s)
GG IX SE
Is there anything special I need to do within Roxio to ensure it plays on my DVD player in HD, or will the file in HD quality automatically play in HD? I've never burned a DVD in Roxio before, so if you get technical I may not know what you're talking about (features, etc) Thanks in advance guys.

can you please explain what you are trying to do. as far as i know, roxio cannot burn HD files on normal DVDs. i may be wrong though. are you trying to burn HD video as a DVD or are you trying to put an HD file (like a wmv one) onto a data disc?

matt

You got DVD player that can do HD stuff? Please wise up, I'm very tempted to wipe the floor with a n00b...

sounds to me as if he has a HD file (like maybe the 1080p rip of TG) and he's trying to use a normal video burner to put it onto DVD. maybe he has one of those upscaling DVD players...? normal DVD players cannot play HD, does he know that?

I don't think you guys are understanding. Yes I have an HD DVD player, just never burned an HD DVD before. I have dual layer DVDs with a DVD burner on my laptop, and would like to burn an HD file from my computer to the DVD. Will it burn in HD to the DVD to be played in an HD DVD player? Are HD DVDs special vs regular DVDs, other than the resolution of the video? My question had nothing to do with a DVD player, I don't understand where that came from.

I'm pretty sure if he actually had the HD equipment, he'd surely know how to use it.. Which means he's full of shit.

Also, I'd like to know why you're calling bullshit on a guy trying to burn a DVD with a video in HD resolution?? Do you think I'm posing a couple dollar DVD disc and an file on my computer in HD? Where's the logic? I'm not here to waste anyone's time. It was a fairly simple question that perhaps wasn't explained well enough, but thanks for jumping to conclusions. :thumbsdown:

I don't think you guys are understanding. Yes I have an HD DVD player, just never burned an HD DVD before. I have dual layer DVDs with a DVD burner on my laptop, and would like to burn an HD file from my computer to the DVD. Will it burn in HD to the DVD to be played in an HD DVD player? Are HD DVDs special vs regular DVDs, other than the resolution of the video? My question had nothing to do with a DVD player, I don't understand where that came from.

You need an HD-DVD burner to create HD-DVD discs, which will then work on an HD-DVD player. What you're trying to do is the equivalent of creating a VCR tape with the same resolution as a DVD - it's just not possible. Different formats require different media.

You need an HD-DVD burner to create HD-DVD discs, which will then work on an HD-DVD player. What you're trying to do is the equivalent of creating a VCR tape with the same resolution as a DVD - it's just not possible. Different formats require different media.

Right on man. Thanks for the help. My laptop has an HD DVD drive, but it only says "Multi Recorder" under the reg DVD logo. Does this mean it's not capable of writing HD DVDs?

I tried to check on HP.com, didn't come up with anything.

Last edited:
Burning: Probably not...

But I saw some files on a hd tracker recently, which could be burned in the file structure of Blu rays but on a DVD... Dunno if that can be done with a HDDVD... The TG 1080p file would have the right codec, I guess, and it would fit on a DL DVD, but then its such a hassle, why don't just connect the Laptop to the TV (which is a HD one, I reckon, because you got the HDDVDplayer)

You need this if you want to record/play true HD content on your HD dvd player. Plus, the proper software like Nero or Roxio that can burn in HD dvd format.

Burning: Probably not...

But I saw some files on a hd tracker recently, which could be burned in the file structure of Blu rays but on a DVD... Dunno if that can be done with a HDDVD... The TG 1080p file would have the right codec, I guess, and it would fit on a DL DVD, but then its such a hassle, why don't just connect the Laptop to the TV (which is a HD one, I reckon, because you got the HDDVDplayer)

Yeah, at this point that seems the best route. And yes, I have 3 HD TVs in my home, soon to be 4. I've had the regular Top Gear rips playing on my TV with a regular s-video cable, but now I suppose I need to buy an HD cable. The worst part is needing to hook regular computer speakers up to the laptop rather than having the surround already set up to the DVD player, etc. Rerouting wires is a pain in the dick.

You need this if you want to record/play true HD content on your HD dvd player. Plus, the proper software like Nero or Roxio that can burn in HD dvd format.

If my HD DVD drive can write HD DVDs, Roxio will be able to burn in HD, right? I have Roxio, have never used it though...just opened it today for the first time to play with it.

If my HD DVD drive can write HD DVDs, Roxio will be able to burn in HD, right? I have Roxio, have never used it though...just opened it today for the first time to play with it.

Unless you have this HD edition then no. Most "regular" Nero/Roxio software needs to be upgraded to output in true HD dvd or BlueRay disc formats. In other words, you cannot burn true HD DVD/Blue Ray content using regular DVD-Rs and/or software that cannot encode in these formats. Again, unless you have the Roxio edition from the link, then you cannot burn in true HD DVD format.

Edit: I just noticed that the Roxio DVDit? Pro HD edition posted above only outputs in Blue Ray HD format, it doesn't support HD-DVD format only Blue Ray, sorry.

Last edited:
Unless you have this HD edition then no. Most "regular" Nero/Roxio software needs to be upgraded to output in true HD dvd or BlueRay disc formats. In other words, you cannot burn true HD DVD/Blue Ray content using regular DVD-Rs and/or software that cannot encode in these formats. Again, unless you have the Roxio edition from the link, then you cannot burn in true HD DVD format.

Edit: I just noticed that the Roxio DVDit? Pro HD edition posted above only outputs in Blue Ray HD format, it doesn't support HD-DVD format only Blue Ray, sorry.

Damn, I'm gettin pwnd left and right.

Well, I think you guys are slowly getting there, I'm afraid I can't help you though.

Anyway, cheers mate! :cheers:

The answer is yes. You can burn a HD file on a DVD, just like you can burn a Xvid file on a CD. Only thing is that your player needs to support the format for it to play. HD-DVD or BluRay players most likely don't support mkv/x264 and other stuff used in HD encoding. Only choice is to use the "normal" HD-DVD/BluRay encoding, but then the file won't fit on a DVD disc.