Buy a Sidekick, CJ, or Wrangler?

argatoga

Can't Start His Wank
Car(s)
'08 Pontiac Solstice GXP
My Dad has recently built a house on a 10 acre lot in OH and is looking for a 4x4 he can drive around the property and on the roads during the Winter. He would prefer the smaller two to the Wrangler, but if he could find a good deal that would work.

Which of these would you recommend? Are there any issues to look out for?

If you can think of another suggestion that would be appreciated. Being able to take off the doors/roof is a plus.

Last edited:
Wrangler all the way. Purpose built for that purpose along with rock climbing (w\right equip.). And of course it's got an old school flavor about it, which is cool.

But if he prefers something smaller then CJ.

4x4'd Miata, a la Rutledge. You know you saw it coming :p

He won't be doing too much rock climbing. :p He plans on growing grapes on most of the land.

Last edited:
I think a Samurai/Sidekick would be the cheapest - followed by the YJ Wrangler. (Don't forget the Geo/Chevy Tracker - if you haven't included it under the Sidekick name.)

The problem with the Geo versions is GM managed to strip the cars. Yes they stripped them. The Geo models have less sound insulation for instance.

The first gen sidekick/tracker is painfully slow according to Inside Line, id grab the hilarious review but can't find it anymore. That, and I don't think one can easily take the doors off.How about a Grand Vitara/Tracker LT? Those have a decent V6, and if he gets a 2003 to 05 model, he'll get the much better interior refresh (better soft-touch plastic, electrolumnecent gauges, etc.)
cockpit.jpg

He dosen't care about soft touch plastic, this will be used for driving around his property. Speed isn't a huge issue either.

If it were me. I'd go for the CJ.

Sure it has less creature comforts than the wrangler, but IMO it's more fun to drive and you can drive around with the doors off and still have mirrors. (mirrors are door mounted on YJs TJs and JKs)

As is with most cars, the biggest issue with Jeeps is RUST. After that, there isn't much else on a Jeep that is difficult to fix. If you get a YJ just make sure the U-joints are good and the front leaf shackles are not cracked.

The CJ7 and the Wrangler are exactly the same size. If he likes to tinker then I'd go with a CJ otherwise a Wrangler will be a lot more reliable.

CJ or Samurai. A bone stock samurai with skinny mud tires will amaze you off-road.

so it won't have to do anything, jut get along?

i'd get a willy's :cool:

He should quite clearly get an old V8 Defender but of those I'd say the CJ.

He should quite clearly get an old V8 Defender but of those I'd say the CJ.

Ha! They go for $30-$90k over here. Yes a '90s V8 defender can sell for more than a new Range Rover in America.

Yeah, Defenders in the US are like Mustangs in the UK: in their native country, they're cheap and plentiful, but cross the ocean and everything changes.

Ford Bronco with the straight 6. Or if needs power get one with the 351 Windsor.

I'd grab one of the Jeeps. Reason is parts are plentiful and cheap and there are tons of them available. If rust is an issue a fiberglass tub can be purchased for cheap to replace the original. Samuri would be great but they are harder and harder to come by. I'd also look into a Cherokee. Those can be found for dirt cheap and make great vehicles for running around the property on.

The Cherokee is too big. He is downsizing from a Land Rover Discovery.

If he wants a classic, shoot for a 66-71 CJ5 with the Buick V6. This assuming your Dad isn't tall, because they have about zero room in them.