Buying a car in LA & (Power to $ Ratio)

MadCow809

Forum Addict
hi everyone, im currently looking for a new car for myself. Ive just moved to LA, After converting all my Rand (south african currency) into US Dollars, I realised that my budget is really tight, and with a small budget of $25000 :( :( , i will be looking at buying a second hand car, or alternatively... a new but cheap, city runabout type car.

Now i have been looking around for pre-owned cars, and the Honda S2000, Subaru WRX, or EVO 8 sounds like a good option in terms of power to money ratio (except for the Honda). But im also aware that there is a HUGE possibility that the all above mentioned cars have been treated badly by their previous owners or have been taken on a track before. Reliability & Price are very important, so i will be looking at buying a Japanese car instead of something like a beemer or an expensive european car.

Power is the main issue:lol: , im not asking for something like 400bhp, but abit of power that will make my everyday drive a little bit more exciting, then followed by reliability, also im concerned about the re-sale value, styling, comfort etc.. but thats not an big issue, i know that you cant have the best of both world when it comes to cars.

Here are a list of things that i normally look at when i buy a car, in the following order:

Performance > Reliability > Styling > Comfortness > Interior > Brand name > Practicality > Petrol consumption(My least concern). So please, any comments/advise/opinions on what car i should buy are more than welcome.

Thanks in advance.

250hp in a miata is very easy and cheap to do. the engine was made for boost so it will still be very reliable.

~2400lb so you know it will be fast

handles and feels like a dream, aftermarket is crazy good, etc..

but its a girls car, so I guess a man like you wouldnt have the balls to drive it?

How about a:

1. Used Volvo S60R
2. Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo
3. Nissan 350Z
4. Mazda RX-8

Last edited:
250hp in a miata is very easy and cheap to do. the engine was made for boost so it will still be very reliable.

but its a girls car, so I guess a man like you wouldnt have the balls to drive it?

not really, it is a bit girlish, but if its 250bhp @ 1200kg u are talking about here, even if it looks like a nissan micra, im willing to drive it.. its a fantastic little car. 250bhp.... hm... doesnt sound bad at all.. especially the car weight almost nothing. is it a bolt on turbo or a supercharger kit? and what about the re-sale value? who is gonna buy a modded used mx5?? will it be a pain in the arse for me to sell in after a few year?? these are the type of questions that i will be looking at. But really, thanks for your response. i appreciate it.

Last edited:
How about a:

1. Used Volvo S60R
2. Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo
3. Nissan 350Z
4. Mazda RX-8

how much are the 350Z and RX8 going for now? both cars are extremely fun to drive, the rotary engine in the RX8 is a master piece(although its heavy on juice). The RX8 sounds pretty good

miata idea isn't bad, or in a similar spirit you could buy a S/C MR2 and convert it to Turbo, those things hold up really pretty well, and all the electrics/fuel are good enouph to run decent boost

maybe a old E30, i know they make alot of S/C kits that get the cars to 180whp or so, probably more on the 2.5, no idea about prices

a completely different idea, you could get a Foxbody 5.0, drop in some cams, and run low 13s on stock electronics

Last edited:
the thing about cars similar to the miata (aka mr2) is that they dont feel nearly as good to drive.(I know because Ive driven them) even if the miata is inferior in performance (stock form) it still feels fucking amazing to drive, this is specially true for the 90-93 models.
the 98-05 feels very different, very refined, very mature, boaty in a way, but still feels fucking awesome. the older models you tend to get lots of rattles coming from everywhere, engine bay, wheels, dash, seat, etc etc, its basically a go-kart glued together. it feels like it dosnt weight anything. the newer miata isnt much heavier but feels like it weighs 800lbs more.

about the girly look, well it is very easy to change that

NOT MY PICS!!!
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/xe2bls/RAIL/Dsc02039.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/xe2bls/RAIL/IMG_0515.jpg

aftermarket is so huge that with little money you can make it look totally different. ricing it out or making it track legit is very easy.

resell value is complicated. some 90-93 miatas go for 20k+ just because they are in good shape (30k-ish miles)

some go for scrap even though they run really good.

people usually want a 94-97 model because it has bigger brakes/clutch 1.8 engine (90-93 = 1.6) then settle for an older one just because they are cheaper and there are lots more available. BUT, most people that driven both, prefer the older ones.

anyways, chances are youre not going to get your money back, but trust me, you wont care. I suggest you drive one before making a decision. you will be amazed even if its stock. dont be afraid of reving it though, power only comes after 4k and even then its barely there (with no boost) . and if you under rev it, carbon builds up, so always redline it if you ever own one.

if you really want some boost (trust me, the 100ish hp it has will give you endless smiles) after you have driven it N/A , http://www.flyinmiata.com has one of the most reliable ones, with very good customer service. gready (i think thats what its called) has a cheap one for 1k, its basic and I believe will only let you go up to 6psi. they are all bolt on and the flyingmiata one doesnt even require tuning. there are many many many more options though. there are superchargers available, but they are usually only for the 1.8 engine.

(note: 90-97 models can take 94-05 engines with just a $100ish "adapter" kit , flyinmiata has them)

well anyways, I got pretty good knowledge of them, so if there is anything else you want to know, ask it here or pm me :)

..last thing, this car will pretty much only suit you if you love driving.
they arent comfortable for long trips, they are loud (as in you hear EVERYTHING) even with the top up or a hard top. you hear lots of wind no matter how good you latch the top, they often leak inside, room...is...well there is no room for anything, random people will call you a faggot very often, pickup drivers will HATE you, stock suspension goes to hell after 60k miles but you will still feel every bump (fun). if you ever own one, you will wish you had never known about it because it will eat all your money, not because it will break, but because you will love it so much you will want to mod it to hell. so just be careful :)

p.s. English is not my native language, sorry for any misspelling or grammatical errors :)

miata idea isn't bad, or in a similar spirit you could buy a S/C MR2 and convert it to Turbo, those things hold up really pretty well, and all the electrics/fuel are good enouph to run decent boost

maybe a old E30, i know they make alot of S/C kits that get the cars to 180whp or so, probably more on the 2.5, no idea about prices

a completely different idea, you could get a Foxbody 5.0, drop in some cams, and run low 13s on stock electronics

personally im not too fond of the E30 model, if possible, with the right price, an E36 M3 Coupe(3.0 or 3.2 model) would be very good to own. Plenty of power as it is, and with a turbo/supercharger kit, the M3 will definetely be able to do burn some serious rubber.

or something like the E46 model. Fantastic to drive, BMW's 6 cyl at its absolute best.

m3.jpg

something like that.... sounds really fantastic, $25000 for an iconic M3.

the thing about cars similar to the miata (aka mr2) is that they dont feel nearly as good to drive.(I know because Ive driven them) even if the miata is inferior in performance (stock form) it still feels fucking amazing to drive, this is specially true for the 90-93 models.
the 98-05 feels very different, very refined, very mature, boaty in a way, but still feels fucking awesome. the older models you tend to get lots of rattles coming from everywhere, engine bay, wheels, dash, seat, etc etc, its basically a go-kart glued together. it feels like it dosnt weight anything. the newer miata isnt much heavier but feels like it weighs 800lbs more.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with your english :lol: Anyway coming back to the MX5, i am not so sure about buying a 90-93 model, its definetely going to have lots of mileage on the clock and quite possibly, i will soon have to replace most of the parts due to wear and tear. Correct me if i am wrong, I think the MK1 MX5 doesnt come with power-steering, since i will be driving it around town for quite abit, power steering is kind of important to me.
The main issue is this, its an old car (90-93 model) with that much mileage on the clock, the last thing i want here is trouble. Dont get me wrong here, i am sure the MX5 will still be able to do the job just as fine, its just that i dont want any repairing issues and having to wait for parts. Also the insurance fee is not gonna be very nice, i dont want to have to sell my both of my nuts just to maintain this car. So if its a MX5 that im buying, its definetely gonna be the new 2litre model.
mx5.jpg

One more thing, for the new 2litre model, are there any easy, hassle free bolt-on kits that you recommend?? Im not looking for something that will turn the MX5 into a 12sec car, im just looking for the extra oomph that the new MX5 is missing.

Thanks

I test drove an '04 RX-8 with about 30k miles that was priced at $17k. Great car, aside from the crappy automatic that was in it.

Thanks, $17k sounds quite reasonable, actually a fuck load cheaper than what i would normally pay in SA (R350 000 for a new RX8 6spd which is equivlent to US $46 500). And ive heard plenty of complains about the autobox, so its definetely gonna have to be a 6spd manual.

More ideas:

1. Used Mercedes C32 AMG
2. Around 2001 and earlier BMW M3
3. Around 2000 and earlier BMW M5
4. BMW M Roadster & Coupe
5. BMW Z3
6. BMW Z4
7. Volkswagen GTI
8. Volkswagen Passat W8 4Motion
9. Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4

More ideas:

1. Used Mercedes C32 AMG
2. Around 2001 and earlier BMW M3
3. Around 2000 and earlier BMW M5
4. BMW M Roadster & Coupe
5. BMW Z3
6. BMW Z4
7. Volkswagen GTI
8. Volkswagen Passat W8 4Motion
9. Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4

You can get a Z4 from a BMW dealer in excellent condition for $30K. Getting one with lower mileage for $25K would be on the hard side.
Having $25K to spend on a car when you're only 22 is a lot of money, you aren't limited to just used cars. The Mazdaspeed 3 is powerful and practical and comes in at just under $25K with most options other than a nav system.

GTO
S2000
Corvette
350Z
RX-8
M3
NSX 8)
330i Manual w/sport pack

Unless your going to modify a Miata...driving around in it stock is pretty umm..."girly" - i guess you put it best

You know the gas prices are currently over $3/gallon in Southern California, right? It was probably more expensive in S. Africa, but you might have to drive more in L.A. plus the cost of living has to be higher.

I don't mean to be a buzzkill, I'm just trying to warn you.

I agree with Deviate on the M3.
The RX8 is a good option, though not really suited for LA driving style due to the low end torque. I don't know about the STi, due to my personal hatred of the crap carpets. Unfortunately no one I know has an EVO, both rally machines are great fun here though. I personally would very much enjoy an s2k here in Socal, the clutch is light for traffic and it feels ok. low down and will rev all the way up. I would also think twice about getting an older car here, breaking down and constant trips to shops sucks.. I would also consider a 30K G35c.

Anything you decide to buy with the intentions of modifying look into CARB legal parts. After a little while of searching you'll hear about "CARB EO#"s and "Carb Legal" if a part is "CARB Legal" it'll have a Carb EO (exemption order) number. This means the part is legal to have on the car and will pass smog, this number only works for the exact car it was sold for. So a supercharger for an E46 that has an EO# will not be legal if you throw it on an E36. Even if it's got the same engine (from the factory). Things go out of wack when you start talking about engines swaps.

California is a nightmare to understand with it's smog regulations, welcome to the land of environmentalists car haters.

Being in California he's gotta deal with some of the shittiest smog regulations in the country. Having a modded post '74 car is just a pain. They can be a pain to sell, pain to keep registered, and if a cop wants to be a real asshole can write you up for every little modification on the car.

I'd say look for something that is going to do what you want from the factory. If you have to pick something to modify, make sure it's something that won't look modified. They just draw attention from the cops. Also look for "CARB Legal" stuff. If it's CARB legal, then there's no worries about passing smog, or cops giving you (to much) shit about having a modified car.

My vote is for a corvette c5. Plenty of power from the factory, and loads more smog legal power to get out of it. There are plenty of suspension parts to fix any ride issues, and cops usually ignore American (v8 powered) cars with loud exhausts.

Other option is a Mustang GT or Mustang Cobra (certain years have IRS). The mustang takes a little suspension modding to handle well,but they are capable of cornering quite well, and they also have a decent bit of smog legal power mods.

If your sneaky with modifications you could getaway with a MKIII (pre 93) supra, or an RX-7 but they can be a pain in the ass to smog. The trick is you want it to look as stock as possible and keep the smog equipment on the car. There's also the "DSM"s the Mitsubishi eclipse/Eagle talon turbo cars. They are dirt cheap, but require mods to be fast, and I know nothing about the cars. Mitsubishi Galant VR4 Limited number car, but I haven't hard to many complaints about them, it's basically a DSM underneath, 200hp, turbo 2.0 4 cylinder with AWD/4wd. Only issue is you may not like the age, they were only sold in the use in 88 and 89 (or 87 and 88). But they are cheap to own and repair. The have the venerable 46G3 Turbo engines in them. And Road Race engineering is in Fullerton, they've built quite a few all around fast DSM's.

E36 M3 wouldn't be a bad choice but remember BMW screwed the US on that car and gave us a heavier engine with 75 less hp than the european models. I think there are a few CARB (california smog) legal supercharger kits for the car. One car you may be looking over is the e30 318is, downing atlanta makes a supercharger kit for the car that is california smog legal if I recall, and bumps the car upto about 220hp. That makes it lighter and nearly as powerful as the e36 m3.

OH! 2nd hand Mercedes-benz, they depreciate like crazy there (especially the CLK's), only problem is since the mid-90's they are complete piles of crap (though I haven't heard of anyone being stranded by them).

Off-Topic: What brings you from South Africa to LA?

PS. If my post seems a bit scattered it's because I kept adding to it.

Last edited:
The C5 and V8 Mustangs are going to be hell come insurance time...

madcow, its was 8am and I hadnt gone to sleep yet, I was too tired to keep checking what I wrote :)

thedguy, you have a valid point. I didnt think of that

Go for the lease return S2000... factory warranty and most I see are driven by old farts like myself. I've seen brand new RX8s for low $20s... good car w/no torque. There still may be some 2006 Mazda speed 6s around w/huge discount and some dealers will kiss you if you take one of the remaining GTOs off the lot. Big tire smoking fun wrapped in a decent enough car at a huge discount.