Buying An STI. Need Informational Assist.

Talibanator

Car(s)
RSX Type-S; 2011 Subaru WRX STI 5 Door
Hello all. I recently moved to Georgia for the Army and am looking at getting a 2011 WRX STI Wagon. I got some numbers from the dealer and from consumer reports, but I really am needing an outside source to look at that and tell me if I'm heading down the path to getting screwed, or if this is a decent deal. Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated!

The dealer is offering it to me at a discount because I came to them over the internet. Currently they have no STI's on their lot, and if they get a car from another dealer, or ordered from the factory, they don't get a Dealer Holdback.

Here is Talibanator's thoughts (yes, I talked in the third person. There are not good coffee places here, so give me a break...or coffee...delicious delicious coffee. But I digress). My thoughts are they don't get that car from another dealership for free. They have to give up a like type car, or two lesser type cars. Because those are on the lot, they get the dealer holdback. But, based on the numbers below, it doesn't LOOK like they are charging me that.

Here is what I've got. (everything is in USD)
DealerMSRP: $36,720
Offering it at $35,449

Consumer Reports

Manufacturer MSRP: $35,995 (this is $725 more than the dealer MSRP, but more than likely has the destination charge rolled into the MSRP)
Manufacturer Destination Charge: $725

Dealer Base Invoice: $34,029
Destination Charge: $725
Total from Dealer: $34,754

Consumer Reports suggested bottomline price
Invoice Price $34,754
- Dealer Holdback $1,080
Total Bottom Line $33,674

I understand the dealership wants to make a profit, which is fair. My question is this. They said the discount is a 2% markup from MSRP. That fair enough for an STI? Or have people been able to get better deals?

Sorry about all the numbers, but I figure more info is better than not enough.

Thanks again,

Talibanator.

Just to clarify for my brother:

He has looked into the typical dealer holdback on the STI, but the dealership is saying that he can't use that to negotiate since the car is not on their lot. They are telling him that if they have to get the car from another dealership, that dealership keeps the holdback for the car.

I smelled BS with this story, since Dealer #2 doesn't just turn over their car to Dealer #1. Dealer #1 has to send Dealer #2 a similar car in trade in most cases, meaning even if the holdback doesn't move with the car, each dealership still has a holdback as part of the trade.

Talibanator,
Be sure to include all the document fees, 2% markup, insurance bullshit and tax, title and license - just so everyone has a complete picture of this dealership's fees and charges.

Is there a reason why you can't find a dealership that does have an STI on their lot? I don't know the whole situation, I'm just wondering.

STIs are only produced in limited numbers - often dealerships will get as few as four to last them the entire year, if they sell those then they can order cars for customers. Even finding a 2011 on the lot is difficult and they are often spoken (and paid) for before they ever hit the showroom.

It might behoove you to check with rural Subaru dealers, perhaps even in other parts of the country. Some may still have an STI on their lots and therefore be interested in unloading it for less.

I did look at that and I already am the rural area. The sti I ended up getting was just over 5 hours away and was trucked in for me.

*takes notes for when he plans on doing the same*

You can definitely get much lower. I was shopping for a WRX just a month ago and found that one of the cheapest dealer is Manchester in New Hampshire. A bit far but their price is $800 less than what is being offered to you...I would counter with something under 35k. See this thread for reference: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1800255

Just like my first STI, I had to have it hauled to me from Wisconsin->Iowa for me to overlook it and finalize the deal, then Iowa->California, since I was living at Edwards AFB.

It's a rough spot to look for a car in the region that fits your liking and get it hauled to you, but all the more worth it in the end.

Answering your question on deals:
For my current one and incoming STI (jesus christ man...three already). I was able to get 2% off MSRP due to my past deals + options; with no charge for dealer installed options. Holdback/TTL haven't really been a focus considering I am trading in, and still waiting for it to be built.

I hope you come to love your hatch, I'm getting rid of my '08 STI....ordered a '11 SWP STI Sedan...unfortunately having to sit on my hands and wait.