Buying Canon 450D in September, lense help!

Hello. I'm sort of new to the forum. Currently I have a Canon S3 IS and have decided to move on to SLR type models.

I'm very interested in the Canon 450D.

I have found this package on ebay and it looks really good for the money. I was looking at this --> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Canon-EOS...rkparms=72:12|39:1|65:12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

That would be the camera and a stock lense for general use. I'm mainly into both Wildlife and Automotive photography although I do like a bit of Landscape photography also.

The lense I have been recommended is this one. It's a 100-400mm Canon and it's apparently very good. It's mainly for close up track photography and with a racetrack near me, I think it would be a good investment.

This was the one I was after --> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-Telep...5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1214785296&sr=1-1

I came here to see if any of you guys have any suggestions or remarks you would like to make as it would help me greatly and would be appreciated.

Thanks

Level is right. It's better to buy a used 20d or 400/350d rather then a brand new 450d. Its better to invest the money into good lenses and once you get good, buy a quality camera like the upcoming 7d or such.

The 100-400mm is a good lens, being one of the L lenses. But I'm a sucker for wide aperture. If you're going to be shooting action shots (and even if you weren't), I would recommend the 70-200 f/2.8L (there is one with IS and one without). If you need the extra range then you can get a 1.4x or 2x extender.

The wider aperture will allow you to shoot the shutter speeds you need to. f/4.5-5.6 can be a bit restrictive.

The 450D is a good choice, go for it. If you do get an older/used body, the 400D or the 30D would be fine.

Last edited:
I would go into a camera shop first. Try the cameras in your hand, get the one that fits your hand best. They're all good, and all of the manufacturers offer good lenses for what you're after.

Not that the 450D is any bad, but I'd actually see if I could stretch for a 40D instead. Better grip, faster framerate, a little bit better at high ISO settings and a sturdier design. It's also got a top LCD for settings and modes.

If you're able to stretch to a 40D, that would be my choice. I've only heard good stuff about the 100-400.

If i was going Canon, i wouldnt mind the 450D. According to Dpreview the new sensor it sports, is pretty damn good.

Snippets from the Dpreview.com review of the 450D...

Although you're unlikely to be able to see it in anything but the largest of prints, the EOS 450D's resolution and per-pixel sharpness advantage over the (admittedly far less pricey) D60 is obvious, and in fact these are some of the most detailed results we've ever seen from a non-professional Canon DSLR thanks to what appears to be a slightly lighter anti alias filter (certainly compared to the 40D, for example).

...and...

As well as a higher pixel count the EOS 450D would appear to have a fairly light low-pass filter (for a Canon) as it produces some of the highest resolution figures we've seen from a consumer grade EOS - and some of the highest in this class of camera.

...and finally..

It would appear that Canon decided the best way to avoid getting caught up in the melee was to aim just a little higher, giving the EOS 450D as much of a feature boost as it could without it treading on the 40D's toes. So although some of the upgrades are an entirely predictable box-ticking exercise (bigger screen, live view etc), there are some pleasant surprises too. The new sensor is superb, and from a resolution point of view puts the EOS 40D to shame without losing any of the high ISO performance that has been Canon's trump card for so long. Canon was never going to take any risks with its biggest breadwinner, and we feel the EOS 450D is a significant, albeit incremental step in the right direction. We're certainly happy to see the improved buffering, spot metering and ISO button / viewfinder display, as well as the improvement in the viewfinder itself.

Not bad eh? :cool:

I dont think you will be disappointed with the 450D.

Where the hell did you get that from? :?

About suggestions to get 400/350, I'd personally still consider 450, because of one killer feature - live view.
LiveView isn't a killer feature in it's infancy right now. A couple of exceptions:

- If you do a lot of MF macro work, or MF still motives.
- If it's got a tilted screen, then the delay of the AF is a lesser disadvantage than not being able to aquratly compose your shot.
- Or if you get a Sony a300 or a350. Then LiveView works spot on. Same goes for the Olympus E-330, but that's too outdated.

And TGD, as for the extra resolution of the 450D, I would find the advantages the 40D proves a lot more useful than the extra resolution of the 450D. Unless you print -big- you would struggle to see any difference.

Right now, in Norway, the price difference between the 450D and the 40D is so small it's a no brainer. I don't know what the price difference is between the 40D and the 450D where the OP lives, but I'd suggest looking into that.

I'd also suggest trying to locate a shop that still sells the 30D. The difference in IQ really isn't that big, and the 30D would be higher on the list of wishes to Santa than the 450D, in my book.

:)

I'm a sharpness junkie, what can i say. :lol:

It is true what you say, you get more professional features on a 40D, but it does cost more. Here the 40D is ?252 or 2,548 norske kroner more then the 450D for a body only. And another thing, they dont carry the 350D/400D here anymore, just 40D, 450D and the pro bodies. :|

I'm a sharpness junkie, what can i say. :lol:

It is true what you say, you get more professional features on a 40D, but it does cost more. Here the 40D is ?252 or 2,548 norske kroner more then the 450D for a body only. And another thing, they dont carry the 350D/400D here anymore, just 40D, 450D and the pro bodies. :|

Well, over here it's about 1000 NOK in difference, body only.

But it's strange you can't get the 400D anymore? Over here, they're readily awailable still.

Well, over here it's about 1000 NOK in difference, body only.

But it's strange you can't get the 400D anymore? Over here, they're readily awailable still.

You might still be able to find a copy or two at something like Elkj?p, but the official Canon dealer doesnt have them anymore.

Could have something to do with the new 1000D about to launch, which is the new entry level.

Well, I dispise Elkj?p, but sites like Japanphoto has them in. And they're a good vendor.

But it would be stupid of Canon to continue the 400D after introducing the 1000D, I agree on that.

With regards to motorsports pictures: I have a 55-200mm lens that I use for that purpose because it is very quick; but I never feel the need to zoom past 135mm. At Road America, where I go, you can get no closer than 50 meters from the track.

Just a thought. :)

Well I have taken aboard the comments from you guys and I can see a mixed variety of opinions.

I think I will scrap the 100-400 lense idea as it is way too expensive for a start. Although I will still get a 450D as it is supposedly an amazing camera and there isn't much of a price difference between the 400D and 450D.

I am now thinking about maybe purchasing a 17-70 sigma lense *LINK* as apparently the lower the f setting the better the lense.

I was also looking at a second lense which is a Canon 70-300 which looks pretty good *LINK*

Then I would get the camera and possibly the stock IS lense which is actually not much more than buying the camera *LINK*.

I would then get polarisers for the lenses after I had bought them as i'm a sucker for polarisers and love the effect on pictures.

Any opinions on this? Maybe you know of a better lense to replace any of those? I'm open to suggestions :D

i have that exact 70-300 lens, picked up through a recommendation on here and I can honestly say I love it. Feels nice and solidly built, produces some excellent shots and the image stabliser is superb. Even when using it at its maximum focal length on action shots it holds nice and steady :)

The only irritating thing about the 70-300 is that it sounds like a tractor when focusing, even with USM.

i have purchased a brand new Canon 450D(with stock lense EF-S 18-55mm IS ) and EF 75-300mm III, bought it for $1598.00. the guy also gave me tripod, bag for camera and two lenses, (tripod has a bag for camera as well), 4GB memory card.

i could get the same things without IS lense in 400D under grand but that model was finishing in the market.

i had no idea of SLRs, previously i owned no name brand 6.6MP digi camera and camera from my Nokia N93i.
i gathered all the information by talking to people at the camera shops and internet. for me this entry level lense is enough for some time, at least till i get use to my camera and photography. untill then i would get to know different lenses.

i would say if you are on a budget then get a 450D and stock lense, get use to it and then after some time go for a better one. but do not buy 400D if someone recomends.(after all i can only suggest what i know)

these are the few pics that my brother took with the window up while i drive at 110KM/H going towards sydney.

IMG_1050.jpg

IMG_1054.jpg

IMG_0874.jpg

IMG_0876.jpg

IMG_0887.jpg

IMG_0779.jpg

IMG_0735.jpg

IMG_0703.jpg

Hehe. Not really bothered about the noise if the image quality is good though it does sound good. Jimmy could you show me some pictures you have taken with it? Would be nice to see.

https://www.photoshop.com/user/jimmymac

large portion of the pictures taken in my albums are with that lens, i'm certainly still very much an amateur at the moment so i've not used it to its full capabilities yet :)