Buying music online

LoneWolf

I dunno about you guys, but before I discovered this forum I hated dance music. However, the 'TG What's that song' thread has changed that opinion, a lot. As a result I'm always looking for songs featured in TG. Up until now I've just been using Limewire, but I've been feeling slightly guilty about freeloading, especially as most of the artists, like DJ Shadow & Amon Tobin, don't make huge bucks from their labour, even though artistically it pisses on most of the stuff in the charts.

So what I wanted to ask is can anyone recommend a good place to buy singles (not whole albums) online? And, as a side note, I wanted to know does any of the revenue make it's way to the artist, or is purely for the web-site owners?

You can buy music online?

I thought it just arrived magically on my HD.

But if you REALLY want to pay for it you can put music from lots of different places. iTunes is probably the most well known. Not sure how much is it, I think 99c or so, but you buy pre-paid cards, load up your account and download what you want.

www.allofmp3.com

It's russian
It's cheap
It's controversial
It's outlawed in some countries

You can buy music online?

I thought it just arrived magically on my HD.

But if you REALLY want to pay for it you can put music from lots of different places. iTunes is probably the most well known. Not sure how much is it, I think 99c or so, but you buy pre-paid cards, load up your account and download what you want.

Funny.

But no seriously, I know there are plenty of places to buy online, which is precisely why I'm asking for recommendations. I don't wanna go for ITunes because I don't think any of the revenues makes it's way to the artist. If I buy from ITunes I might as well just download it for free, rather then filling Apple's big fat greedy pockets.

Funny.

But no seriously, I know there are plenty of places to buy online, which is precisely why I'm asking for recommendations. I don't wanna go for ITunes because I don't think any of the revenues makes it's way to the artist. If I buy from ITunes I might as well just download it for free, rather then filling Apple's big fat greedy pockets.

itms cost's Apple more than it makes... It's not filling Apple's pockets at all. The majority of the money from a $.99 song, goes to the RIAA, as a licensing fee. Apple makes a VERY small amount off of the price of a song because of the RIAA. Apple only does it, so that they can sell more iPods, which they have a much higher margin on.

www.allofmp3.com

It's russian
It's cheap
It's controversial
you can buy an album for $2?
still if you want to buy music i'd rather buy the physical album itself. There arent that many albums which i like all the songs of, but a few I would deem worthy of a buy.

itms cost's Apple more than it makes... It's not filling Apple's pockets at all. The majority of the money from a $.99 song, goes to the RIAA, as a licensing fee. Apple makes a VERY small amount off of the price of a song because of the RIAA. Apple only does it, so that they can sell more iPods, which they have a much higher margin on.

What, the music goes the RIAA? Crikey, even more reason not to purchase anything from ITunes! :-o

www.allofmp3.com

It's russian
It's cheap
It's controversial

Limewire / Bittorrent

It's free
It's controversial

The thing I like about Limewire is I can search for music I have or like and then browse what those hosts are sharing. If they like one kind of music chances are we have similar tastes. I have found all kinds of goodies that way.

Limewire / Bittorrent

It's free
It's controversial

The thing I like about Limewire is I can search for music I have or like and then browse what those hosts are sharing. If they like one kind of music chances are we have similar tastes. I have found all kinds of goodies that way.
I :love: Limewire, but the amount of spam and crap you find on there is really getting out of hand lately.

Anybody ever heard of myTunes Redux? It lets you connect to the shared libraries of people on iTunes and download songs from there. Pretty sweet stuff, I use it to discover the collections of fellow college kids. Too bad it's usually shitty indie emo nu-alternative pop-punk -core crap.

I :love: Limewire, but the amount of spam and crap you find on there is really getting out of hand lately.

x100

Completely agree, it is getting ridiculous, I don't know what kind of trick it is they use but whenever you type in a search a bunch of WMV files come up which are blatantly fake. It makes it even harder to find the more rare MP3's such as the ones TG uses.

OiNK (BitTorrent site) > all ^_^

Currently I'm searching for Robert Plant's Shine It All Around (The Girls Mix), but can't find it anywhere. Limewire has the original but not the mix, and so I've thought that I may as well just by the single by itself.

And then the RIAA rips off the artists and pays them a few pennies out of that.

x100

Completely agree, it is getting ridiculous, I don't know what kind of trick it is they use but whenever you type in a search a bunch of WMV files come up which are blatantly fake. It makes it even harder to find the more rare MP3's such as the ones TG uses.

Get Limewire Pro if you don't have it, that helps a great deal. Let me know if you have a hard time finding the installer, I may be able to hook you up.

Limewire / Bittorrent

It's free
It's controversial

The only advantage of allofmp3.com is you could easily claim ignorance and claim you thought it was legitmate. I think it is actually not technically illegal in this country (yet).

Get Limewire Pro if you don't have it, that helps a great deal. Let me know if you have a hard time finding the installer, I may be able to hook you up.
you can actually download Limewire Pro on Limewire itself

you can actually download Limewire Pro on Limewire itself
I think thats the first thing most people download when they get Limewire.:lol:

Slightly OT but does anyone know what happened to some of the P2P everyone used to use? Two that come to mind are Morpheus and Kazaa.

Slightly OT but does anyone know what happened to some of the P2P everyone used to use? Two that come to mind are Morpheus and Kazaa.

Yeah, I remember both of those in my college days. I think they got so laden with crapware that people switched to different things like limewire.

The only advantage of allofmp3.com is you could easily claim ignorance and claim you thought it was legitmate. I think it is actually not technically illegal in this country (yet).

Here they look at it this way:

There is not way you could think that free music was legal, but if you where paying a (small) price for it its easy to claim ignorance and they cant come after you - Its beautiful really..