• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Bye bye VW, hello Honda...

InSaNeBoY

Car(s)
1974 VW Karmann Ghia
A little background, I've owned many VWs, and I really like how they drive etc... but my two VW passat wagons have been nightmares. I expected my 92 GL to have issues, and it certanly did. but it had 170K mi on it when I finally got rid of it ($700 more than i paied for it no less) My 97 on the other hand I thought would be fare more relyable. but it has cost me more in repaires than the 92 did! It's all in really good shape now, but, the way it's been going something major will break any day now. So at 72K mi I finally just decided to give up on it. I figure while everything works perfictly I should sell it before something elce goes on it.

Because I don't trust that a VW will last me, and the prices are going through the roof, I decided to buy a honda... If VW offered lupo or polo diesel here I would prolly buy one as a commuting car But they don't so we decided on the honda, it'll be our only car for a year or two untill we can afford a simple little commuter car for me. (I do still want a nice used TDi, but the prices on those are CRAZY!)

So, last week, I picked up a 2005 Honda Element LX 4WD 5speed... Plus they had really good financing on it so my payment is only $225! :thumbsup:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

i1.jpg

i2.jpg

Congrats on a great utilitarian vehicle!

A couple things truned me off (2004 model I check out), and I'll note just as a warning:

- the front wheel hub have no divider for the engine bay, so you can throw a lot of muck in there while turning
- the rake on the fornt windshield is pretty steep and Honda has had some trouble. If anything goes wrong, chip/crack, just say hi to your dealer and they'll have to fix it...

I loved the engine, nice and smooth. I wish a piece of regular plywood could have fit in the back, but no matter, very easy to get things in and out of this thing.

Enjoy!

I like the Element, they don't sell it here though, but it seems a lot of people import them and use them as two-seater vans.
I read somewhere that Element owners are the most satisfied car-owners in the US, hope that will go for you too!

No, they're more like access doors, like on the RX-8. And it's a Honda Element.

Its a very innovative car, but I think it looks like a toaster.

I've rode and tried one out, they are pretty kool.

jayjaya29 said:
Its a very innovative car, but I think it looks like a toaster.

I've rode and tried one out, they are pretty kool.

LOL Toaster!

Actaully, from the strictly utilitarian point of vue, that is a hell of a compliment! I really like utilitarian vehicles. I could probably fit more stuff in there then it's suspension could handle!

Anyway, love the car, but it wasn't for me.

Jostyrostelli said:
Wow 2.4? OR that car is pretty fast for a 4cylinder, OR it consumes fuel like crazy!

Actually neither, the 2.4 is from the Honda Accord but tuned for torque versus top HP. With all the tricks, as long as your not very heavilly laden, the engine should be pretty good on gas. Of course, during the break-in period it's not obvious.

Jostyrostelli said:
Nice! Good for you, what engine does it have? Never seen it before.

btw, nice Saab 900 in the background :p

as has been said, it's a 2.4L 160HP 161lb/ft. zippyer than I thought it would be expecially with a 5speed. it sucks gas down compared to smaller cars but isn't too too bad concidering, my passat gets around 19MPG with mostly highway use, the first tank in the Element was 24MPG

The Saab 900 in the picture is my mom's. 1992 900 Turbo convertible, 5speed dk green with tan top (and tan leather int) it's got a whopping 48K mi on it. and no she won't sell it, she likes it too much. :)

here's another element(not mine) with the doors wide opened
openE.jpg

They are horrible... as bad as Aztecs.... but well, congrats I guess.. :?

^
I agree with Ren on this
Not a very good looking car IMO
but should be practical at least :)

I heard that if you actually try to hose down the interior, it will short things out. anyway, I always thought it would be cool to rent one, buy the insurance and then fill it with water and drive back to the rental place! :lol:

VWKafer said:
I heard that if you actually try to hose down the interior, it will short things out. anyway, I always thought it would be cool to rent one, buy the insurance and then fill it with water and drive back to the rental place! :lol:

If you ever do that, film it and show it to us... ok? :lol:

its actually quite a cool and unique car to drive... somehow I like it, but I rather have ur moms saab 900 :D