C/D: Next Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 all but confirmed

Aiolos

Car(s)
2005 Toyota Rav4 :-/ (Mom's)
Naturally aspirated over 500hp and possibly quicker than the BMW X5M?

That's ridiculous........... ridiculously awesome. :thumbup:

Source: Car and Driver via Autoblog

We're expecting awfully big things from the new 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee, which is rumored to begin initial production early next month. This will be the first totally new design to roll out of Chrysler's design and engineering departments since America's number three automaker was bailed out by the federal government and Italy's Fiat, so it had better be good.

And if a new Pentastar 3.6-liter V6 is good and the expected 5.7-liter Hemi V8 is better... well then, a suitably enlarged 6.4-liter version of the well-liked Hemi would be best of all, right? According to the Car and Driver crew, just such a beastie is currently in development, though Chrysler is reportedly neither confirming nor denying its existence in the product pipeline.

If true, C/D's currently imaginary Grand Cherokee SRT8 would get an unadulterated and naturally aspirated power figure that's well over 500 horsepower and possibly a tad more than the BMW X5 M's towering 555-horse rating. Rumor has it that Jeep wants its SRT8 to be the quickest SUV on the market, which would mean besting the aforementioned German's 4.0-second run to 60.

Also on the menu would likely be fully adjustable air suspension to keep things planted when the going gets twisty and an appropriate steroidal injection to the standard 2011 Grand Cherokee's already attractive sheetmetal. If it's indeed coming to market ? and we have reason to believe that it will ? we wouldn't expect to see the GC SRT8 before 2012 at the earliest.

Note: This is the standard Jeep Grand Cherokee

000_2011jgc.jpg

Some off language...while it's the first one RELEASED since the Fiat partnership, it was designed well before it...

YES The world needs more insane 500hp SUVs, espeically cheap (relatively) American ones that are faster than the high tech, high price german offerings.

Say what you will about the JGC, but it's always been handsomely styled and never mistaken for anything else. Good to see some managers still have the old Chrysler habit of putting out bonkers cars.

Of course it is, isn't the brother of the chairman known for driving around in a current-gen SRT8 with "Italian Motherfucker" written on the back? He's going to need a new car at some point.

My dad has one of the first gen's. It's the second fastest thing that the entire Chrysler family makes; the first being the Viper.

It turns boys into men. I love it. I hope this one is just as crazy.

That'll might save the Missisippi-delta in Florida, as it burns the Gulf Oilcarpet-away faster than the Coastguards can do. :p

They've softened the look up, very European...

I believe the new one is based on the last-gen Mercedes M-Class platform

At least it beats the old SRT8, which was as ugly as dirt.

I believe the one in the pic is the "bog-standard" version, so there's plenty they could do to "uglify/Americanize" the car with the SRT version.

Sweet! I'm not a huge fan of the WK but the SRT version went like a stabbed rat and sounded just epic. Hopefully this one is even better. The spiritual successor to the Niner lives on!

if its based on the m-class then i fear it'll be horrible to drive...it might be fast in a straight line but in corners the difference between the m-class and the bmw x5 is like day and night.

if its based on the m-class then i fear it'll be horrible to drive...it might be fast in a straight line but in corners the difference between the m-class and the bmw x5 is like day and night.

It's a Jeep with over 500hp. Fuck corners, just point where you want to go and drive through everything in the way.

I personally liked the look of the first gen, and the HP numbers are definately something that gets my attention. But if it can't tow or otherwise fulfill the Utility portion of SUV, its a Pass.

Also, first gens still suffered from Chrysler Quality - I have read lots of owners that had issues with things like PAINT FADE - hell, I thought even Chrysler had figured out how to paint a car by this point.

Awesome. Pure win.
Who cares if it wont be able to corner like an X5M, it's an SUV, it's not supposed to!
Just burn rubber when the lights go green.