Jalopnik: Cadillac ATS: This is it

laxmax613

Car(s)
Merkavim Mars
2013-cadillac-ats-teaser_100358238_l.jpg

Confirming what was already well known, General Motors said today it would add two new Cadillac models next year ? the big XTS and the small ATS, a 3-Series fighter whose profile was shown in this chiaroscuro teaser.The ATS will hit the Cadillac lineup in 2012, likely as a 2013 model year vehicle.
The small Cadillac will be produced at Lansing Grand River, the same Michigan assembly plant that builds the midsize Cadillac CTS sedan, coupe and wagon.
"The car we codenamed ATS is being developed to be a driver's car on an all-new Cadillac-specific RWD-AWD architecture," GM President of North America, Mark Reuss, said. "We have extensively and exhaustively studied the competitive segment, and we have benchmarked the best. And when this car comes out, that will be readily apparent."
Thanks to a generously shadowed image, a little lightening reveals the rest of a vehicle that looks to share similar sculpting and cut lines as the Cadillac CTS Coupe.

Lightened pic:

cadillac-ats.jpg

All this car makes me think is

2012-mercedes-benz-c-class-sedan-profile.jpg

But it certainly could be a huge boon for Caddy in the foreign markets, especially if there's a diesel in the cards.

I will buy an ATS-V if they put either a small(er), high-revving V8 in it (perhaps the C7's proposed 5.5L?) or a super/turbo-charged V6 with at least 400 HP. M3 competition, oh yes.

Oh, and hopefully the interior will actually be comparable to a 3-series. Every other Caddy I've sat in has looked nice, but felt cheap to the touch (as is the case with a lot of American interiors).

Realistically, though, GM will have to pull out a miracle to make this car actually competitive against the 3er. The CTS-V was good, though, so I do have some hope.

With a generous price undercut I'd say that regardless of interior quality it'll do fine.

How much of a price undercut is realistic?

Starting prices for the 3er:
328i RWD Sedan: $34,600
328i AWD Sedan: $36,600
335i RWD Sedan: $42,050
335i AWD Sedan: $44,050
M3 Sedan: $55,900

I expect the prices for the most basic version to start at about $30,000. They haven't said anything about engines but my completely random and un-informed guess is going to be that they'll probably offer either a new V6 or the turbo-4 Eco-crap from the Buick Regal. Add for AWD and options, and it's bordering close to the 3er.

I'm not really interested in anything other than the V. If the ATS-V goes for less than $50,000 with handling as good as the CTS-V and V8 or turbo V6 power under the hood I'm sold.

Last edited:
If you buy one, can I have your GTO?

I thought the same thing about it being similar to the C-class, I think mainly because of the hood area. I'll withold full judgement untill they show images in the...light. Definately excited for Cadillac to have more than one car for sale though.

The looks were a given, I'm more interested in the interior and drivetrain. Cadillac (and the Corvette) are the only things GM builds that I give a damn about, so I hope Reuss isn't bullshitting when he says they've done their homework.

I will buy an ATS-V if they put either a small(er), high-revving V8 in it (perhaps the C7's proposed 5.5L?) or a super/turbo-charged V6 with at least 400 HP. M3 competition, oh yes.

Oh, and hopefully the interior will actually be comparable to a 3-series. Every other Caddy I've sat in has looked nice, but felt cheap to the touch (as is the case with a lot of American interiors).

Realistically, though, GM will have to pull out a miracle to make this car actually competitive against the 3er. The CTS-V was good, though, so I do have some hope.

When was the last time you were in a Cadillac? Go try the new CTS. And fuck lower displacement, this thing needs an LS3 in the V//. I'd like to see a straight 5 in the base car, and the 2.8L Turbo V6 in the mid model.

Last edited:
How much of a price undercut is realistic?

Starting prices for the 3er:
328i RWD Sedan: $34,600
328i AWD Sedan: $36,600
335i RWD Sedan: $42,050
335i AWD Sedan: $44,050
M3 Sedan: $55,900

I expect the prices for the most basic version to start at about $30,000. They haven't said anything about engines but my completely random and un-informed guess is going to be that they'll probably offer either a new V6 or the turbo-4 Eco-crap from the Buick Regal. Add for AWD and options, and it's bordering close to the 3er.

I'm not really interested in anything other than the V. If the ATS-V goes for less than $50,000 with handling as good as the CTS-V and V8 or turbo V6 power under the hood I'm sold.

Considering the 3 series pricing is essentially the same as that for the CTS (except the V vs M3), I'd think the ATS would undercut it by several thousand. If it doesn't the CTS will steal a lot of ATS sales.

CTS pricing for reference:
3L V6 RWD - $35,345
3L V6 AWD - $38,545
3.6L V6 RWD - $41,745
3.6L V6 AWD - $43,645
CTS-V - $63,660

The CTS has always been positopned as "Nearly 5-series size, roughly 3-series price." Could the ATS be "3-series-sized, 1-series priced"?

The CTS has always been positopned as "Nearly 5-series size, roughly 3-series price." Could the ATS be "3-series-sized, 1-series priced"?

Could be interesting, though if they price it too low, it may steal sales from the Chevy Impala (starts at 25k for the base model, high end starts at 30k).

Could be interesting, though if they price it too low, it may steal sales from the Chevy Impala (starts at 25k for the base model, high end starts at 30k).

Chevy Impala is pretty much a fleet car only these days, when was the last time you saw one that didn't look like an undercover cop car or taxicab?

It's at the end of it's life, anyways until the new version bows 2 years from now. The gain in ATS sales would more than out-weigh any loss in sales of the Impala.

Besides...a Lexus IS and Toyota Avalon are within $200 of each other, and I don't see them canibalizing any sales from each other...completely different cars.

Last edited:
...in that it's a RWD sedan? I don't really see it looking any more like it than the new Camry.

The back end of the windows looks pinched off, leaving too much boring space between the wheel and the window, which also makes the rear wheel look tiny. The Merc solved this with a wheel arch. Wheel arch, plz? Maybe on an ATS-V?

Still sounds like whee. Make it!

Last edited:
Tail lights look too big, that's about all I hate about the car. Looks nice, and the fact that they're giving it RWD. Thank you GM! I wish Ford would've done that to the Taurus and Fusion, we'd have some sweet American cars.

Chevy Impala is pretty much a fleet car only these days, when was the last time you saw one that didn't look like an undercover cop car or taxicab?

Actually, the current Chevy Impala is fairly popular where I'm at. Besides my grandparents owning one, I think I see more of them on the road than the latest Camry. So, actually it's been a while since I've seen an Impala that did look like a fleet car.

Could be badass, but I'm worried about the headlights. It kinda sorta looks like they travel way up the top of the fenders/hood, which an ugly look on certain other cars, like the Ferrari 458.