Autoblog: Cadillac Ciel Concept perfect car for Fear and Loathing in Monterrey

I love its style. IMHO it's cooler than the Phantom Drophead Coupe.

Brilliant. I'm in the camp of 'I never wanted a caddy but this is fucking fantastic'. The exterior design manager's a Brit too, it doesn't get much better. :D

Last edited:
I just noticed that the most significant styling detail is the chrome stripe that lifts up towards the end of the car.

Notice it rising from the front wheel well? it really elongates the shape while simultaneously making it look a lot lighter and more graceful.

11_concept_Ciel_021.jpg

First thing I noticed in the original rear 3/4 view. It's very powerful.

Cars like this are why I love cars. There is hope yet for the modern automobile.

But is it real hope or a hearkening to an era long gone to emissions and efficiency standards, washed away in a sea of low-sulphur biodiesel and battery acid? I hope not.

But is it real hope or a hearkening to an era long gone to emissions and efficiency standards, washed away in a sea of low-sulphur biodiesel and battery acid? I hope not.

I'd go on the side of hope here. The only reason there's a six-pot in here is that they'd be going up against Lexus' hybrids, which currently have no real competition in that market, and anything that takes away sales from Lexus is a good thing. As someone said above, there's nothing stopping them from throwing a small-block eight in there (gotta make room for the electric motor, even with that size of a hood) and keeping the twin turbos for a V version. A Ciel-V would be the ultimate Mental Trauma Car for the environmentalists, wouldn't it? Again, hope is to be had.

I'd like them to do something interesting with the drivetrain, like have the electric motor drive the front wheels and the dino-burner the rear. Nissan did that Cube version in Japan that did the opposite, so I think it's possible. Could someone more knowing than me about the subject confirm this?

GM HAS to make this. They just have to make it at a price point that would be competitive with the Lexus hybrids and give it enough luxo on the inside to tempt Merc buyers. I'll add my vote to the "Dear God, I want this more than my next meal" contingent. I've not only never wanted a Caddy, I've never owned a GM vehicle. This one, though...oh, yeah.

I have no problem with the powerplant on this thing, it isn't and shouldn't be a high performance car, you don't need a V-8 for cruising and looking good and making mere mortals wish they were you.

I have no problem with the powerplant on this thing, it isn't and shouldn't be a high performance car, you don't need a V-8 for cruising and looking good and making mere mortals wish they were you.
In a car like this, I think you do. You need a power plant that is just as cool and relaxed as the rest of this amazing barge.

In a car like this, I think you do. You need a power plant that is just as cool and relaxed as the rest of this amazing barge.

425 Horsepower isn't a small amount, that thing will scoot, especially with the electirc motor helping.

It could be fantastic with the hybrid engine.
Definitely. I love fuck-huge, scary V8's as much as the next gearhead, but a car like this doesn't need that. That's not what a car like this is about at all. Like jasonof2000 said, it's about cruising along, oozing style and making people hate themselves for driving some mundane econobox.

There is hope yet for the modern automobile.
Exactly what I was thinking. This is the sexiest concept I've seen in years.

Autocar: GM to okay Cadillac flagship

General Motors is expected to give the go-ahead to Cadillac?s flagship Omega project before year-end, according to senior sources. The maker?s top management has been encouraged by the overwhelmingly positive reaction to the luxury division?s new Ciel concept vehicle.

It?s unclear whether a convertible or sedan version based on the big Omega platform would be first to market, but there is a clear consensus that Cadillac needs a super-premium model if it is to have a chance of regaining its position as ?standard to the world?, as its long-time advertising slogan declared.

See a picture of the Cadillac Ciel concept

Omega would be just one in a wide range of new offerings that would be added to the Cadillac line-up, insiders confirm, helping the once-dominant marque fill in the so-called ?white space? between its current model mix. That will include not only a new plug-in hybrid, but very likely some more conventional hybrid-electric models, as well.

Cadillac planners are also looking at the possibility of adding a diesel, but whether they follow through will depend not only on potential demand in the US but whether Caddy sees the opportunity to build a long-sought presence in Europe. That?s a big uncertainty right now. At least in the near-term, the marque is emphasising China, now its second-largest market.

Adding a flagship like Ciel is critical to the brand?s resurgence, insists Cadillac General Marketing Manager Don Butler, who will only say that GM is ?studying its options.? But other sources say the response to the striking, vaguely retro convertible was so powerful that GM?s top managers are now expected to give the go-ahead to the Omega project, which could land in showrooms by mid-decade.

The premium-luxury offering to follow would join an assortment of new models including the ATS, a small car with definite European opportunities; the big XTS, which replaces the largely unloved STS and DTS models; and the ELR, a production version of the popular Converj concept ? itself a high-line variant of the Chevrolet Volt plug-in hybrid.

And even more products are under consideration as Caddy acknowledges the need to proliferate its line-up as successful rivals like BMW and Mercedes-Benz have done in recent years.

?We do have this residual positive sentiment but the fact is that we?re not relevant for many consumers,? said Butler, adding that a broader range of offerings could put Caddy back on the luxury map.

Full Article

Yes. This would be fantastic. I hope they don't ruin it by making it sporty.

Okay, I turn 50 in November 2014. That's minimum age for me to consider buying a Caddy. If this thing's in the showrooms or definitely on its way, I may be getting my first GM.

I love its style. IMHO it's cooler than the Phantom Drophead Coupe.

This makes the Phantom Drophead Coupe look like a car for old men who only ever drive to and from the local golf course.

I know its probably too much to hope for, but if they send this design straight into production with every single bit of the concept's exterior styling intact... it would explode both my awesome and respect meters.

Come on GM. there's no reason not to.

It seems that only Cadillac and Corvette are the two well runs parts of GM.

It seems that only Cadillac and Corvette are the two well runs parts of GM.

If you mean Chevy as a whole, then I agree. You can't argue with the sales numbers on the Cruze. And they do provide a public service by selling the Impala; it makes it easy to identify the crap drivers and more easily avoid them.

Nope I just mean Corvette.