Cadillac takes a shot at Ferrari in new ad

Bad Bowtie

[video=youtube;pxLCw-S3al4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pxLCw-S3al4[/video]

http://jalopnik.com/5834845/cadillac-disses-ferrari-in-new-ad

Cadillac would like to remind you that the magnetorheteroeologicalicious dampers on the Ferrari 458 Italia were Caddy's first. What it fails to mention is the system wasn't developed entirely by GM (Delphi gets some credit) and the first vehicle they used it on was the 2002 Cadillac Seville STS and not the CTS-V. Oh well, we'd rather watch a CTS-V coupe slide around the track.

Last edited:
What if I told you GM, I don't fucking care! I hate you GM.

What if I told you GM, I don't fucking care! I hate you GM.

You can send them an email and not care if they don't read it.

Personally, it always kind of annoyed me when shows like TopGear would drive a front engine Ferrari and praise it for it's innovative engineering with magnetic dampers and rear mounted transmission for better weight distribution, but then review a Corvette and call it a cheap primitive ox cart. Don't want to shatter any false stereotypes.

You can send them an email and not care if they don't read it.

Personally, it always kind of annoyed me when shows like TopGear would drive a front engine Ferrari and praise it for it's innovative engineering with magnetic dampers and rear mounted transmission for better weight distribution, but then review a Corvette and call it a cheap primitive ox cart. Don't want to shatter any false stereotypes.

A corvette utilises simpler technology, I don't recall anyone saying it wasn't good though. Top gear have reviewed 3, and they've liked all of them.

A corvette utilises simpler technology, I don't recall anyone saying it wasn't good though. Top gear have reviewed 3, and they've liked all of them.

I was being more specific. The Corvette also used magnetic shocks and has used a rear mounted transmission since 1997 iirc, but those details are always glossed over on shows like TopGear, where they work to maintain the "simpler" tech stereotype. In truth the Corvette really isn't that simple, once you look beneath the surface. You can look at the springs, but there is a lot of innovation there. You can look at the pushrods, but there is more to it than meets the eye. Sure, it's always been RWD, but so has Ferrari until just recently. The simplest tech on it is the manual transmission, which is a dying breed that lots of drivers prefer.

Just want to throw something out here, of the "Big 3" car makers, Chrysler is actually starting to become my favorite brand.

Did they really develop the exact system that Ferrari uses or doesn't just about every manufacturer have their own "magnetically-controlled" adjustable suspension system?

And, to be fair about Top Gear, my dad has the previous model CTS-V and it is actually pretty much on par with Jezza's review...

1. The interior feels cheap in places, but better than most GM products
2. The transmission sucks
3. It's fricken' fast
4. It actually handles pretty well

I will never understand how people think a T56 sucks. It has a manly feel to it, no matter which car it's in. Grow a pair and get over it. :lol: It's not like they put it in Cobalts.

What I really find funny is when people say, "the trans in the Viper/etc. is outstanding, but the one in the Corvette is terrible." :lol: T56 vs T56...hmmm (well now TR6060 but yeah).

I will never understand how people think a T56 sucks. It has a manly feel to it, no matter which car it's in. Grow a pair and get over it. :lol: It's not like they put it in Cobalts.

What I really find funny is when people say, "the trans in the Viper/etc. is outstanding, but the one in the Corvette is terrible." :lol: T56 vs T56...hmmm (well now TR6060 but yeah).

The one in the Vette is backwards and has a different shift linkage.

Did they really develop the exact system that Ferrari uses or doesn't just about every manufacturer have their own "magnetically-controlled" adjustable suspension system?

Nope, GM and Delphi jointly invented developed magnetically controlled shocks. Everyone who's using them either buys them direct from Delphi or has licensed the tech from them. Which is why I, like others, thought it was funny when the European press lauded Ferrari and Audi when they adopted the tech and claimed it was somehow a new and exotic European development. It'd been used on Vettes and Cadillacs for years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MagneRide

Last edited:
Regardless of the facts, I still hate when mfg's feel compelled to boast by making something else "worse". Have some fucking class and integrity to stand on your own merits because as good as that Caddy is (and I hear it is very good) I would spend exactly zero seconds deciding which one of the two I would rather have.

Regardless of the facts, I still hate when mfg's feel compelled to boast by making something else "worse". Have some fucking class and integrity to stand on your own merits because as good as that Caddy is (and I hear it is very good) I would spend exactly zero seconds deciding which one of the two I would rather have.

This ad was just the opposite of that - Cadillac bragging about being the first to market with suspension technology so good that it was adopted by Ferrari.

BTW, I don't see anyone calling the other brand worse. Just saying "We made the tech that helps makes theirs so good".

Don't be so literal. It's implied greatness by association without using explicit wording. All I'm saying is I don't like it, if you're hot shit you don't need to validate it in others, great or otherwise.

Don't be so literal. It's implied greatness by association without using explicit wording. All I'm saying is I don't like it, if you're hot shit you don't need to validate it in others, great or otherwise.

I think the whole point of advertising is to get the cars image out there and show it off a bit, say a few things about it, etc. Otherwise, what's the point? You think buyers today are smart enough to thoroughly check out every car option in their price range? Forget about it. Anything with a BMW, Merc, or Audi badge will suffice.

For a company like Cadillac who are trying hard to change their image, it's a good idea to inform the public a bit, do a bit of gloating and educating, get bodies into the showroom and behind the wheel. Fact is, pretty much nobody seems to think Cadillac is great at all. Always playing second fiddle to the big Germans. Always one step behind, always a bit worse, etc. Cadillac needs to show off a bit, put the product out there, get some attention.

Some production vehicles with active and semiactive suspension

1987 Mitsubishi Galant "Dynamic ECS", world?s first production semi-active electronically controlled suspension system[3][4][5][6][7]

1989 Citro?n XM (Hydractive, semi-active)
1987 BMW M3 "BOGE adjustable damping" system
1990 Infiniti Q45 "Full-Active Suspension (FAS)", world's first production fully active suspension system
1990 Toyota Supra (Toyota Electronically Modulated Suspension, TEMS)
1991 Mitsubishi GTO "Electronically Controlled Suspension"
1991 Toyota Soarer 'Active'
1992 Toyota Celica (Japan only)
1992 Citro?n Xantia VSX (Hydractive 2, semi-active)
1993 Cadillac, several models with road sensing suspension.
1994 Citro?n Xantia Activa (Hydractive 2 and active roll control)
1996 Jaguar XK8 'CATS' (optional)
1997 Jaguar XJ 'CATS' (standard on XJR model)
1999+ Land Rover Discovery 2 'ACE' (Active Cornering Enhancement)
1999 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class, Active Body Control
1999+ Lexus LX470
2001 Citro?n C5 (Hydractive 3, semi-active)
2002+ Jaguar S-Type 'CATS' (S-Type R model)
2002+ Mazda6 wagon 4wd
2002 BMW 7 Series
2002 Maserati Coup?
2002 Cadillac Seville STS, first MagneRide
2003 Mercedes-Benz S-Class
2003 Chevrolet Corvette, some Cadillacs and other GM vehicles with MagneRide
2004 Opel Astra 'IDS+' (optional)
2004 - 2007 Volvo S60R "4-C Active Chassis"
2004 - 2007 Volvo V70R "4-C Active Chassis"
2005 Citro?n C6 (Hydractive 3+, semi-active)
2007 Lexus GS, Active Stabilizer Suspension System
2007 Maserati GranTurismo
2008 + Audi TT Magnetic Ride
2008 + Alfa Romeo Mito - Green Clover Leaf (Magneti Marelli Synaptic Damping Control)

Another fairly recently-developed method incorporates magneto rheological dampers with a brand name MagneRide. It was initially developed by Delphi Corporation for GM and was standard, as many other new technologies, for Cadillac Seville STS (from model 2002), and on some other GM models from 2003. This was an upgrade for semi-active systems ("automatic road-sensing suspensions") used in upscale GM vehicles for decades, and it allows, together with faster modern computers, changing the stiffness of all wheel suspensions independently on every road inch on highway speed. These dampers are finding increased usage in the USA and already leases to some foreign brands, mostly in more expensive vehicles. I

Now why does this sound like someone edited that article before releasing an Ad :)

MagneRide is BWI Group's proprietary name for its semi-active Magnetorheological suspension control system.[1] MagneRide has been in production for almost ten years, primarily applied to passenger vehicles.[2] Originally produced by Delphi Corporation MagneRide, along with the rest of the Delphi Brakes and Suspension ("Global Ride Dynamics") business, was sold to Beijing West Industries Group of China (BWI), Inc. in 2009

IF YOU BUY A CADILLAC YOU ARE SUPPORTING CHINA! :p

Watched the video without sound, seemed to me like the tag line should have been "The Cadillac CTS-V, getting in the way of much faster cars".

Watched the video without sound, seemed to me like the tag line should have been "The Cadillac CTS-V, getting in the way of much faster cars".
"The Ferrari 458 is faster than you, can you confirm you understand this message...?"

I see that, but I find it hard to take it as seriously as you.

And BTW, I know which one I would take too. As much as I like the Ferrari, it would not be the one.

Nope, GM and Delphi jointly invented developed magnetically controlled shocks. Everyone who's using them either buys them direct from Delphi or has licensed the tech from them. Which is why I, like others, thought it was funny when the European press lauded Ferrari and Audi when they adopted the tech and claimed it was somehow a new and exotic European development. It'd been used on Vettes and Cadillacs for years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MagneRide
Fair enough; question answered.