Cadillac XT5

PelicanHazard

Car(s)
'13 Dart, '03 Ranger, '20 390 Duke, '22 K16GTL
An opponaut found a completely uncamouflaged Cadillac XT5 in Manhattan, apparently for a photoshoot:

esfe0acba9y06najt62z.jpg

1313288928280785811.jpg

those thick rear haunches belong on a Buick, in my opinion, and the grille screams Subaru Tribeca (even though the shots were taken in SoHo).

Cadillac needs to clean up its designs a lot more if it wants to have credibility against the Germans.

It's a Cadillac, it should be somewhat shouty.

And pink

1957Cadillac_01_1500.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Anyway, while I won't call the idiotically named XT5 a beauty it does have a brutish look to it that I appreciate.

I read XTS and am disappointed. It is a dumb name when they already have the XTS too.

I read XTS and am disappointed. It is a dumb name when they already have the XTS too.

The they are all horrible names. I'd like a return to Eldorado, De Ville, Fleetwood, etc...

However, apparently alphanumeric is big in China, and that's the market to swoon to.

Indeed. The sedan will be CT6, CT8, est, and the crossovers will be XT5, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

The they are all horrible names. I'd like a return to Eldorado, De Ville, Fleetwood, etc...

However, apparently alphanumeric is big in China, and that's the market to swoon to.

It's not necessarily that it's "big in China", it's just easier for international comoanies than dealing with coming up with names that aren't filthy words in any of the countries in which you hope to sell your cars. You can just use the same name and badges everywhere in the world.

Lincoln is rumored to go back to "real" names, spearheaded by the Continnental.

Assuming this is the replacement for the XRS?

It's not necessarily that it's "big in China", it's just easier for international companies than dealing with coming up with names that aren't filthy words in any of the countries in which you hope to sell your cars. You can just use the same name and badges everywhere in the world.

CEO Johan de Nysschen is on the record at his Q&A session on Jalopnik and in a response to the AutoNews editor that the historical names are largely only meaningful to baby boomers in the US and have no draw in the international market Cadillac is trying to expand into. It's easier just to give the cars alphanumerics that immediately tell you where it falls on the hierarchy and build the Cadillac name as a whole rather than an individual car's (Escalade excluded), and I see his point.

Consider: Cadillac is trying to match Buick in China, and make inroads into Europe. To those audiences, there is no emotional attachment to names like De Ville, Eldorado, Fleetwood, etc; they never got them, and so there's no name legacy they can use in marketing and drawing people into the showrooms.

Keeping in mind too that new luxury cars appeal to image, a clear hierarchy with alphanumerics instantly communicates where a purchaser falls on the spectrum of purchase price and therefore perceived success. The Chinese man who made his fortune and is now looking for a ride has no clear idea whether the Eldorado he's considering is pricier or better than his boss' Fleetwood, but he does know his CT4 is below his boss' CT6. It'll also build Cadillac's image if successful people buy them, as few people in such circles answer the question "What do you drive?" with "I drive a CT6," but rather with "I drive a Cadillac." Think of how many times you've heard a BMW or Mercedes driver say that, even if they're only leasing a no-options C-class or 3 series.

Now, you might be asking why they at least don't keep the historic names for the US? De Nysschen says their research indicates they mostly resonate with baby boomers, the youngest of which is already looking at retirement. They're done, and out of Cadillac's target; the brand is going after the rising and just-apexed businessmen who grew up after Cadillac's heyday.

Assuming this is the replacement for the XRS?

SRX. I heard a rumor somewhere that it's actually built on the bones of the SRX since the new platform wasn't ready in time, but all other information points to all-new.

It'll also build Cadillac's image if successful people buy them, as few people in such circles answer the question "What do you drive?" with "I drive a CT6," but rather with "I drive a Cadillac." Think of how many times you've heard a BMW or Mercedes driver say that, even if they're only leasing a no-options C-class or 3 series.

Indeed. I used to load people's cars with their purchases at my last job. I had to muster all of my might to not roll my eyes whenever I would ask why kind of vehicle they had before they pulled to to the back door. They would often answer "BMW" or "Mercedes"...which, of course, could have been anything from a Z4 or SLk to a GL to an S65. Idiots...

Most american "heritage" names of "Americana" sedans don't really carry any cache with me, except maybe Continental. OK, maaaaybe Riviera...

Most american "heritage" names of "Americana" sedans don't really carry any cache with me, except maybe Continental. OK, maaaaybe Riviera...

Similar. I didn't grow up with them, so to me "Continental" is the limo JFK was assassinated in, "Eldorado" is a mythical city, and "Fleetwood" means nothing.

argatoga said:
Similar. I didn't grow up with them, so to me "Continental" is the limo JFK was assassinated in, "Eldorado" is a mythical city, and "Fleetwood" means nothing.

I said that?

Did we really need a Chevy Traverse in Cadillac form?

Did we really need a Chevy Traverse in Cadillac form?

This is significantly smaller than the GM Lambdas. Think Equinox/Terrain in terms of size. The current SRX is tangentially related to those two, on a significantly revised "Theta Premium" platform.

Honestly...I think there could be room for a full-size Cadillac crossover slotting below Escalade. Something more maneuverable with better mileage may appeal to luxury buyers who want a crossover rather than a full blown SUV.

My opinion Cadillac should stick to kickass copes and sedans. But what do I know.

My opinion Cadillac should stick to kickass copes and sedans. But what do I know.

The Escalade has been a continuous cash cow for them + the luxury crossover space (especially compact sizes) is on fire.

They'd be dumb to not compete in it, even if it'd be interesting for them to go against the grain and say "fuck SUV's, building the best sedans in the world is where it's at."

Yeah, I know. :/

I believe the market is wrong.