Caffiene downers, are they normal?

Ottobon

Car(s)
2 Rust buckets and a confused 1999 American.
I often feel really irritable and easily frustrated (similar if not the same but to a lesser extent as clinical depression) after drinking large amounts of caffiene (French Coffee etc)

Is this normal? I haven't met anybody whose ever shared this, but adults have always told me "you have to come down some time" but it isnt cocaine, its just freaking coffee!

It's a stimulant and there is a known rebound effect from caffeine. It doesn't last that long in your system, either. Caffeine is commonly used as a vasoconstrictor and in headache medications in combination with common analgesics, however too much can actually precipitate a headache.

I can point you to some research on headaches and caffeine if you like.

I often feel really irritable and easily frustrated (similar if not the same but to a lesser extent as clinical depression) after drinking large amounts of caffiene (French Coffee etc)

Is this normal? I haven't met anybody whose ever shared this, but adults have always told me "you have to come down some time" but it isnt cocaine, its just freaking coffee!

Caffine is a very strong drug, so yes, you can have affects of withdrawal. For a time, I had to quit drinking anything with caffeine in it, and let me tell you, for one week I had a headache to end all headaches.

If you want to cut down, drink half as much and stop consuming ANY drink with caffine in it 6 hours before you go to sleep. It helps.

that might be good, i know most of the time i feel that i really like caffeine, its just when i either injest it without eating (don't know if that should effect anything, but it seems to) or if i take large doses that the robound sucks!!

Usually if their is a rebound its just me wanting to sit down, in this case i felt kind of like just giving up at what i was doing, or breaking what i was working on, it was rather scary to be honest

My metabalism is high, as well i don't eat alot (frugal and picky, not the best combination)

heres a neat picture i found

EDIT:
caffeinated_spiders_webs.jpg

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHzdsFiBbFc[/YOUTUBE]

anybody know a website with animals on drugs (scientific of course hehe.) that picture is kind of funny, or would be if i wasn't so pissy

A reduction in serotonin levels when caffeine use is stopped can cause anxiety, irritability, inability to concentrate and diminished motivation to initiate or to complete daily tasks;

that is dead on, from Wikipedia, anybody know if that site is worth quoting when it comes to educational stuff?

Last edited:
The article is only as strong as the sources. Check those and you will know if you have a decent article. I usually start at Wikipedia and use it as a way to find "real" articles I can cite.

I really think you would be better off seeing a nutritionist or whatever they're called or a doctor rather than asking us, unless of course someone here is a med student or is a doctor or a nutritionist.

Yeah the crash after a caffeine high can be very dramatic. Your symtoms look to be inline with what i have read about caffeine and it's after effects. I would suggest following what Jayhawk said and adjusting your intake if you don't feel any change then i would go see a doctor.

I get pretty easily irritated after I drink strong coffee. I've made it a point not to have any if I plan on doing any type of tedious work. But I don't have the same reaction if I have any other caffeinated drink or even weak coffee. Maybe its something in the old cup of joe that does it?

That spider video is the funniest thing I've seen for a long time. It reminded me of that German forklift safety video because I thought it was genuine at first. :lol:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the original poster is asking about affects during caffeine use, not after it has wore off. I'm the same way, caffeine makes me sleepy. I don't drink coffee, and I rarely drink sodas anymore, but every now and then I'll have a Coke or Mt. Dew.

Also, strong coffee gives me a stomach ache.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the original poster is asking about affects during caffeine use, not after it has wore off. I'm the same way, caffeine makes me sleepy. I don't drink coffee, and I rarely drink sodas anymore, but every now and then I'll have a Coke or Mt. Dew.

Also, strong coffee gives me a stomach ache.

You have been corrected.

CaffOwned.

It depends on the time frame we are talking about. Caffeine metabolizes rather quickly anyway, so a fast "crash" is not uncommon.

Tea can have as much or more caffeine than coffee (depending on the tea).