News: California Drivers Ranked The Worst in the United States in Annual Study

Spectre

The Deported
Car(s)
00 4Runner | 02 919 | 87 XJ6 | 86 CB700SC
https://timesofsandiego.com/life/201...-annual-study/

California drivers are the worst in the United States, thanks to gridlocked freeways, smartphone use and an increase in drunk driving, according to an annual study by an insurance marketplace.

QuoteWizard, an online marketplace for auto insurance, said Thursday an overall increase in citations, distracted driving and DUIs helped push the Golden State to the number one spot in terms of bad drivers from second place in 2016.

“The dubious honor of having the worst drivers in the country goes to California,” the study concluded. “California’s less-than-stellar drivers are somewhat notorious — especially in gridlocked Los Angeles.”

In fact, five of the top 10 cities with the worst drivers are located in California. Those cities include Sacramento — ranked the worst nationwide — Riverside, San Diego, Los Angeles and Bakersfield.

Following California in the worst-driver rankings were Minnesota, Utah, South Carolina and Washington. The state with the best drivers was Rhode Island.

“If you’ve ever been cut off by someone with an out-of-state plate and thought, ‘Oh, it figures,’ this study may be for you,” said Adam Johnson of QuoteWizard. “QuoteWizard analyzed millions of data points on drivers from throughout the U.S. and what we found provides a pretty interesting and sometimes surprising snapshot of the best and worst drivers in America.”

The company sampled data on accidents, fatalities, DUIs, speeding tickets and citations, collecting more than 2 million data points from drivers.

Not like we needed confirmation that CA sucked, but it's nice to have.
map-best-worst-cities.jpg

Last edited:
How is NYC not at the top of worst?

Yeah really. Sunshine and warm weather is already better than NY’s 4 seasons. Traffic be damned.

prizrak;n3542224 said:

That or Houston...

Because CA drivers are just that much worse. Remember, CA hands out licenses like free popcorn. Illegals, serial uninsured, doesn't matter. An actual dog can almost get a license there. On top of which, CA's inspection system is smog only - they don't care if your car is leaving a parts trail that maims or kills other people, but if you're just .5ppm over on your smog check the whole world of CA bureaucracy lands on you.

Last edited:
Reactions: JCE
Spectre;n3542233 said:
Because CA drivers are just that much worse. Remember, the US hands out licenses like free popcorn. Illegals, serial uninsured, doesn't matter. An actual dog can almost get a license there.

Fixed. :p

Spectre;n3542233 said:
Because CA drivers are just that much worse. Remember, CA hands out licenses like free popcorn. Illegals, serial uninsured, doesn't matter. An actual dog can almost get a license there. On top of which, CA's inspection system is smog only - they don't care if your car is leaving a parts trail that maims or kills other people, but if you're just .5ppm over on your smog check the whole world of CA bureaucracy lands on you.
It's been snowing today and I'm really questioning the whole standing. You have a mix of people going 5mph because OMFG SNOW (even though main roads are just wet and it's really not tthat serious) and dudes going 40 (on city streets) because AWD BMW Yo!.

Listening to car guys talk about other drivers is kinda like listening to teenage girls talk about what other girls are wearing.

Reactions: MWF
Did you see the wheels he put on that? So tacky.

GRtak;n3542243 said:
Did you see the wheels he put on that? So tacky.

Where the hell are the rep buttons? Remind me I owe you one when they come back. Like buttons be damned!

Reactions: TC
I'm honestly surprised California is ranked so poorly. The vast majority of the time I've spent driving there has been pretty good. The roads are overcrowded, cramped, and poorly designed, but hot damn if California doesn't know how to merge. Lane discipline tends to be much better and people tend to be fairly courteous, especially to those on motorcycles. Most drivers will pull way over to the edge of their lane to let you split past, almost giving you an entire lane of space at times. Car doesn't matter either, Volvo, Prius, Minivan, or Maserati - all have moved over to let me by.

Utah drivers are a different breed entirely, aggressive, unpredictable, big egos that are easily bruised, and they rage out at a simple lane change with plenty of space because they seem to think they own all the road ahead of them. They regularly cross the double-white lines, cut the gore for exits and red-light running is a serious problem. I won't even pull out on a green light anymore until all lanes of traffic are actually stopped. The holidays have not helped, I've seen more major crashes and acts of idiocy this time of year than I can easily recall. My commute home is only three freeway exits (including the on and off ramps I take). Every. Single. Day. I see a crash.

I think it’s like when a snow storm hits New York City. Not really that bad but, the people are just loud, whiny bitches.

Their data was gathered objectively, mostly citations and accidents. Salt Lake was #2 after Sacramento, here's the list.

93Flareside;n3542370 said:
I think it’s like when a snow storm hits New York City. Not really that bad but, the people are just loud, whiny bitches.
Actually they are pretty bad, not in the sense that the storms are bad but the outdated subway system damn near grinds to a halt so more people drive and well...

Yet, corrupt Chicago carries along just fine. Does NYC need some pointers? :D

93Flareside;n3542404 said:
Yet, corrupt Chicago carries along just fine. Does NYC need some pointers? :D

Huge difference in scale, age and the fact that NYC is 24/7