California is stupid: continues to destroy auto industry

nouseferaname90

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - California is planning the next stage of clean car standards even as U.S. President Barack Obama announces federal plans based on the state's model, its top climate change official said on Tuesday.

Obama on Tuesday set 2016 mileage and carbon emissions goals for U.S. fleets, which will be codified by the federal Department of Transportation and the Environmental Protection Agency.

"California will be immediately getting to work on what the standards should be for beyond 2016," Mary Nichols, who chairs the California Air Resources Board, said in a telephone interview. She expects "a much more stringent standard."

Other state plans for vehicle emissions, from caps on pollution by big rig diesel trucks to requirements that gasoline and other providers cut the amount of carbon in their fuel, are still under way, despite the state's agreement to work with the federal government on car emissions.

"It doesn't signal any kind of flagging interest on the part of California in being part of a transformation of the auto fleet to something much more efficient than what it is today," Nichols said.

The U.S. Department of Transportation will set a 35.5 miles per gallon fleet average target. The Environmental Protection Agency will set a fleet goal of tailpipe emissions of 250 grams of carbon per mile traveled by 2016, matching the California goal, but ramping up at a slower rate, said Nichols.

The three big U.S. car makers had average fuel efficiency of 24-25 miles per gallon in 2007, while carbon emissions for 2009-model vehicles range from a low of 135 grams per mile for the Toyota Prius to 400 and higher for SUVs, according to California.

California, with federal approval, sets its own vehicle standards. It effectively works as a laboratory -- the federal government often later adopts its standards. Nichols expects the federal government in June to let it regulate tailpipe emissions, which it would coordinate with Obama's new policies.

Longer term, the state will focus on performance targets like carbon emissions, although it has set targets for production of zero-emission vehicles, such as all-electric cars. The board will consider rebates of vehicle fees, which Nichols called 'feebates', later this year, too.

"We will be working with our colleagues at EPA, but the reality is that because California is one state with a very strong market and a history of desire for advanced vehicles, we can move much more quickly and aggressively than the federal government," she said.

(for more environmental news see our Environment blog at blogs.reuters.com/environment)

(Additional reporting by Kevin Krolicki in Detroit; editing by Mary Milliken and Mohammad Zargham)
http://www.reuters.com/article/GCA-GreenBusiness/idUSTRE54J04Q20090520

And that is the reason why the federal government should NEVER take after California. The EPA and CARB get a huge ego and push the limits even farther. At this point, after graduating from college, I'm going straight to buy a straightpiped diesel truck instead of a car because these regulations are really starting to piss me off.

Somebody sounds a bit paranoid.

Except that when dealing with the California government, paranoia is called for because they *always* do the worst thing you can think of. :p

I'm glad I live in the land of non-regulated autos.

I am glad that even though my state is just as fluffy and liberal as California, It's not a bitch on those regulations, even though the yearly inspection is rough.

So while on the verge of financial collapse, they want to add more regulation? Seems a bit counter productive, unless they plan on setting new standards to take effect immediately and then fine the hell out of every car company.:rolleyes:

car companies should just stop selling cars in California. It would make both parties much happier.

car companies should just stop selling cars in California. It would make both parties much happier.
Might upset the bean counters, since California has the seventh largest GDP of any country in the world.

Simple response, then. Makers should do the math:

1: What is the total amount of profit from selling cars in California, per annum?
2: How much money do you spend lobbying CARB and the rest of Kali's screwed up government?
3: How much money do you spend on R&D and production to comply with Kali's extortion?

Subtract 2 and 3 from 1. If the answer is near zero or negative, then they should pull out, despite the loss of "prestige".

In fact, they should pull out anyway and tell the people of Kali: "Fix your government or no new cars for you" - since it is illegal for a California citizen to import a new non-CA market car into the state.

Those darn tectonic plates have been slacking on us as of late. C'mon Cali, just slide off into the Pacific already! GO!!!

it is illegal for a California citizen to import a new non-CA market car into the state.

Has nobody tried to sue under the Interstate Commerce clause of the constitution? Something smells fishy.

I, for one, welcome the direction they are taking on this issue but oppose the implementation...they should leave the sports cars and above alone and only apply it to the normal cars which outsell the sports cars and are to be blamed more for the pollution and due to the numbers, fuel expenditure.

No, we must focus on the decadent elite in the perpetual class-struggle! Eventually the means of production will be in the hands of the proletariat.

Thus is the price for living in this glorious state. Amazing place to live, stupid, stupid people (mostly).

You know your state's got it good when the ABC weatherman says 60 degrees is "nippy" and heat advisories are given at 88.

Of course, it gets 115 degrees in the summer out here, BUT THAT'S NOT THE REAL ISSUE!

Last edited:
I wonder what the lesser educated greenies (most of them I imagine) would do if you told them they are carbon based?