California lawmaker introduces JROTC bill

jetsetter

Forum Addict
Car(s)
1997 BMW 528i
(02-04) 18:57 PST -- A San Francisco assemblywoman plans to step on, over and around the city's school board with legislation that would require the district to keep the controversial Junior Reserve Officers' Training Corps in its high schools.
Assemblywoman Fiona Ma, D-San Francisco, is expected to announce her bill at a press conference at Lowell High School today.
On split vote in November 2006, the school board decided to ax the program, arguing it is operated by the U.S. military, which not only seeks new recruits, but bars gays and lesbians from openly serving. The issue has been among the most controversial and divisive education issues in the last few years.
The program is scheduled to end in June.
Ma said she was motivated to introduce the bill by voter passage in November of Proposition V, an advisory measure urging retention of the JROTC program. In addition, Ma said, she has seen benefits from the course - leadership training to minorities and women, opportunities for teamwork, and a support network to students.
"I've been to many of the programs over the years," she said. "I've seen the benefits of the programs ... I've met the kids."
She also noted that five of San Francisco's seven high schools with JROTC are in her district.
JROTC is a federally sponsored program, paying half the salaries of the instructors, who are retired from the military.
It is also a voluntary program for districts - but Ma's legislation would require San Francisco - and only San Francisco - to keep it.
"The voters have spoken," said Ma, a former San Francisco supervisor.
But then, so had San Francisco's elected school board officials. Ma's move is being questioned, even by some who want to see JROTC stay.
"For me this sets a precedent," said school board member Hydra Mendoza. "Do the state people now tell the district, which has made a local decision, right wrong or indifferent ... that they have to change a policy?"
Legislators often given deference to each other's district-only bills, but Ma's measure - expected to be introduced as an urgent bill - would require two-thirds support.
Former school board member Eric Mar, now a city supervisor and longtime opponent of JROTC, said he questioned the legality of circumventing local control.
"That doesn't sound right to me," he said.
School board member Sandra Fewer, who also opposes JROTC, said she wished Ma had consulted with her and the board before taking the issue to Sacramento.
"The school district is our jurisdiction," Fewer said.
Several supporters of the program said they initially thought Ma's legislation would only restore the physical education credit to the program - making it more palatable to the school board.
Without receiving PE credit, many students don't have time in their schedule to take the elective JROTC courses. After the school board eliminated gym credit for the military classes, enrollment dropped this year to about 500 students, down from about 1,500 the previous year.
Ma is requesting that the bill - which also restores the PE credit - be put on the legislative fast track, given the impending demise of the program.
Local JROTC instructors have said that if the district loses the program, it will be difficult to bring it back because there is a backlog of high schools across the country waiting to get federal funding for the program.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/02/05/BAB115N7V4.DTL&type=printable

Nice to know there are Dems with balls. SF's school board axing the program in the first place is perhaps one of the worst decisions I have ever heard of. That this happened at all is another reason to hate the city (more like the people within the city but you catch my drift).

Some people tried to do the same thing at my university (before I joined). The response was threats of withholding funds for other programs. Now my university has a large and vibrant ROTC program.:D

I hate that fucking program. They had it at my high school. All it did was make a bunch of arrogant under-aged jarheads. Like most marines they thought they were the shit, and caused more trouble than good.

Didn't help that a bunch of the kids were white that ended up shaving their heads, in a school with more than 50% hispanic population. IIRC everyone of them that I met were on drugs for various mental/emotional issues as well.

Last edited:
I hate that fucking program. They had it at my high school. All it did was make a bunch of arrogant under-aged jarheads. Like most marines they thought they were the shit, and caused more trouble than good.
We kinda had the opposite. Our AFJROTC program at our high school was for a specific subset of nerd. They definitely weren't part of the "cool" crowd, anyway.

At my school they were the band geeks.

First there was San Francisco banning the filming of military commercials, then banning military parades and now this? It's good to know that this country still affords the 60 year old ponytail granola Birkenstock buffoons the freedom with which to voice their vindictive views. Frankly, I wouldn't want this country to be any other way.

Last edited:
First there was San Francisco banning the filming of military commercials, then banning military parades and now this? It's good to know that this country still affords the 60 year old ponytail granola Birkenstock buffoons the freedom with which to voice their vindictive views. Frankly, I wouldn't want this country to be any other way.
They'll ban filming military commercials and gay marriage? I think they just hate everything.

Wait military training in school, isn't that called Dodgeball!!!!! Or did Cali ban that and they switched the name to continue it?

They'll ban filming military commercials and gay marriage? I think they just hate everything.

The state banned marriage, San Francisco banned the military related crap.

Why do you think so many proposals of splitting the state in (a minimum of) 2 have propped up over the years?

Last edited:
Assuming this thing is essentially military cadets, they would be foolish to get rid of it. There is not enough military presence in state schools over here which i am sure contributes to the total lack of discipline.

What is it with people trying to force the military off campus anyway? seems to be the idiot lefty cause of the moment - we have them trying it on at my uni here as well - but then they did also change the toilets to "toilets" and "toilets with urinals" to avoid discrimination of trannies...:?

JROTC in my high school were for the kids that didn't fit in too well but they weren't social outcasts, they weren't skin heads, but JROTC was definitely a weird click.

Wait military training in school, isn't that called Dodgeball!!!!! Or did Cali ban that and they switched the name to continue it?
I'm sure that dodgeball, or any sport that involves violence/a clear winner or loser/throwing things/balls in general ... is banned in So-Cal.

Most of the people in JROTC at all the high schools I went to were alright. But I'm from a 'military family' so maybe I just identified with them better. Although there's always the douchebag with an IQ of 86 who thinks he's going become a DeltaRangerBlack Ops Ninja.

JROTC cadets down in florida suck. the ones in NJROTC all think they're SEALs, the army ones always answer every question with "hooooooah!!!!", the AFJROTC ones are all slobs, and the MCJROTC ones always think they're better than everyone and their junk don't stink. i used to see it all the time when judging their drill competitions or even when doing joint events with the sea cadets unit i staff with and JROTC units. iono. maybe it's just florida. i didn't see much of this when i went to military school.

when I was in ROTC and we were doing STX lanes for evals, i've had so many former JROTC cadets blow the entire thing because they thought they were rambo or something and didn't understand the concept of tactics and following orders. it gets even more annoying when they try and justify their actions and say "what?! you're wrong because that's not what they taught us in JROTC!!!"

i think they should have a strict policy for cadets. it's embarrassing to see overweight cadets in the same uniform you're wearing and they've got 42 ribbons, 16 medals, etc. and either don't know what they are for or say "I got this for showing up to PT for 2 weeks in a row!"

there are tons of better programs out there... ones that actually are worth joining. stuff like USNSCC or CAP or heck, even the boy scouts. just my opinion.

I'm sure that dodgeball, or any sport that involves violence/a clear winner or loser/throwing things/balls in general ... is banned in So-Cal.

Most of the people in JROTC at all the high schools I went to were alright. But I'm from a 'military family' so maybe I just identified with them better. Although there's always the douchebag with an IQ of 86 who thinks he's going become a DeltaRangerBlack Ops Ninja.

Sadly Dodgeball is banned, in most schools in the country actually. Fucking kids are growing up to be pussies!

Man dodgeball in Junior High was brutal! We used the fit in your hand sized rubber balls which meant you could really throw them hard and they left some mean welts. I remember a couple of kids crying after they got hit...I wonder if they still play??

Sadly Dodgeball is banned, in most schools in the country actually. Fucking kids are growing up to be pussies!
The only thing dodgeball in high school does is mentally masturbate the jock kids and the popular kids. Nobody gives a fuck when a regular kid gets somebody out or gets out.

Dodgeball is fun now, but I could do without further instilling a sense of machismo and superiority into high school guys.