Calling all V-Dubbers...

Buddy, you could have that car running 12-14 second quarter mile times easily. And it would still be reliable, and probably get 30+ mpg.

I'd heard that, I just have not decided on the method yet. I want to keep it aircooled; as it has higher resale value, less insurance cost and I personally admire the engineering. But a turbo would make it fast and easy to up the power and get the 0-60 down to 5-6s. I'm considering just boring, as you can get some Beetle engines up to 2.2 litres using that method and keep the aircooling

In ideal circumstances, I would want something to bring the power to at least 80hp; give me around 27 or more mpg, and take to 0-60 down to at most 11s while still keeping the shell and cooling system no more than lightly modified. I don't know if that is realistic, however.

If I had more cash I would just stick a big blower on it, remove the bonnet, and that would be basically it, but I want it to retain its value and modded Beetles, especially Turbo ones, I've found sell for less than more standard ones.

Engine transplants are something i'd rather avoid, as I like original engine, but if nothing else works out an I've still got a 18s 0-60 car than I might do a rotary swap (yes, I know, brand loyalty. Viva la Mazda:D).

Stick a 3.2 or 3.6L Porsche 911 engine in it. Problem solved.

And it fits.

Stick a 3.2 or 3.6L Porsche 911 engine in it. Problem solved.

And it fits.

I was gonna say, don't the old 911 engines drop right in? That's what they did for the Herbie movie if I recall correctly. :lol:

^^Just drop it in? .... Definitely looks good now.... how much are the old 3.2s?
^You're serious? I thought that the Beetle they used for "the Love Bug" films was heavily modded.

Agreed. I've read that it does take quite a bit of work to get a 911 engine in a Beetle.

^^ and ^: Damn.

Have you considered just getting an IRS Corvair? Like the Beetle they have air cooled flat engines, but have more power and a better suspension (GM replaced the swing axel with an IRS).

i am FAR from a VW expert but from the research i had done during a short lived Beetle fetish the porsche engine swaps are FAR from drop in even the 914 engine isn't an easy swap.

Forum thread discussing Porsche engine swaps

Agreed. I've read that it does take quite a bit of work to get a 911 engine in a Beetle.

It's not quite that hard, but it is also not exactly a direct drop in to stick a 911 engine in there. You can stick a 912/914 engine in with only minor issues.

I helped a friend get a 3.2 911 engine into his 78 Superbeetle many many moons ago, and yeah, there was a lot of cutting and welding in the engine bay. On the other hand, once you get it done.... muahahahahah. :D

^spectre, as with everything on the internet, picsoritdidnthappen

a Beetle with that kind of power should be hilariously fast :mrgreen:

Considering that it was 1994 when I did it and I didn't own a camera then, I'm sure you'll understand why I don't have pics of that one. :p

HOWEVER.

Here is someone else who put the 3.2 into a Bug. Behold!

image010.jpg

Project_fifty_22.JPG

I think that should satisfy the pics requirement.

Here's another of someone else's:

Porsche-bug.jpg

Back when I lived in California, sticking the engines from wrecked Porsches into VW Beetles used to be a favorite pastime of many young gearheads. One evil SOB in my high school actually managed to score a 935 turbo engine and successfully put it in his 72 Bug.

Unfortunately, he wrapped it around a pole the long way the third day he drove it to school. :p Seems that a shorter wheelbase plus non-linear power delivery is a bad thing. :p

Last edited:
that is super badass. Also, removing the engine cover and just driving around like that adds to the badassery!

that is super badass. Also, removing the engine cover and just driving around like that adds to the badassery!

Yep, but as freeferrarisdontexist is looking for a daily driver, if i understood him correctly, this is exactely what he does not want...

...seriously cool, though. Seriously.

Anyways, from what i read on the forums, Subaru boxers seem to be a common swap for beetles...

I have two friends with Baja Bugs and there is no reason you should need an engine swap to make the thing fast. If your looking to get more than 150+ HP then an engine swap starts to look better. But 150 HP in a Beetle is pretty ridiculous on it's own.

Anywho, both of my friends have aircooled Beetles, that run big off road tires. I have no idea what kind of horsepower they are making but they are plenty fast, scary fast. They are real cheap to modify too, and it's one of the easiest cars to wrench on in the world.

Just don't crash.

VWVortex.com should have any answer though.

^Well, my goal is 80 (but I'll take anything up to 120). From what I gather 75-90hp in a Beetle will get me to 60 in about 8-10 seconds, which is what my Miata used to do before I restored it (now it's about 7). I prefer balance to insane power, though the 3.2 looked pretty nice. But realistically, keeping it aircooled and getting it to 80bhp are my current goals. The off-roading tyres give plenty of grip, but they require me to disassemble to shell to make the mod and I want to keep everything except the stereo and engine more or less stock.

I have found something else as well; boring to 1900cc and replacing the cylinders supposedly costs around ?150, which I could manage. It makes about 85hp, is still aircooled, and the engine setup (pistons, cylinder heads etc) is still supposed to last around 100,000m. And of course, it loses no simplicity because it is still the same engine.

Or just using dual carbs.