Camaro confirmed for Europe, may not be branded a Chevy

anti-net

Wayne Brannon, Chief Executive of Chevrolet Europe, has confirmed that the UK will be getting its own right-hand-drive version of the Camaro when it goes on sale in early 2010. 1,000 coupe and convertible variants, powered by a 400 bhp, 6.0-liter engine, will be produced with RHD, and it's suspected that about 300 units of each will make their way to dealers in The Kingdom after the Camaro makes its European debut at the London Motor Show.

However, there is some debate about where the Camaro will be sold. Chevrolet is considered a budget brand abroad, so there's apparently some consternation about selling the Camaro with the bowtie badge. While it's likely that it will still be sold through Chevy dealers in Europe, there's a possibility that it will be marketed as a separate brand in the UK, similar to Corvette.

Good news its coming to Europe and in RHD for the UK :D

I think it'll be badged as an Opel/Vauxhall. Vauxhall Camaro, kinda works.

Seems kinda of stupid to me to rebrand it since it is such a known car. That would be like bringing the Mustang to Europe and calling it the Volvo Mustang or something (before Ford sold Volvo that is) :)

Seems kinda of stupid to me to rebrand it since it is such a known car. That would be like bringing the Mustang to Europe and calling it the Volvo Mustang or something (before Ford sold Volvo that is) :)

I don't think the Camero is that well known in Europe compared to the Mustang atleast

And so the camaro invasion of finalgear continues, its a bit like that middle part of the zombie movie where your mother or wife dramatically "turns" and starts attacking.

You-Rope-Pee-Ins driving camaros, what next?!?!

346318198_6046dad5b1.jpg

Most importantly, would any of you buy one?

It's the only american car i'd get. If i had to get an american car.

Every time i see a newer Chevy here i know it's really a Daewoo.. So i point and laugh. Giving it another make will help imo.

Good news its coming to Europe and in RHD for the UK :D

I think it'll be badged as an Opel/Vauxhall. Vauxhall Camaro, kinda works.

Depends on how much it would cost, but even then a 6l sports car might not go down too well if we're paying ?1.50 a litre. I doubt they would try and get away with a Vauxhall Camaro either.

I don't think the Camero is that well known in Europe compared to the Mustang atleast

Don't be so sure - the Camaro was very well known in Germany the 70's and 80's, although it had the reputation of a pimp mobile.

They are already selling the Corvette here as a "Corvette" and not as a "Chervrolet Corvette" (Chevys are nowadays the former Daewoos), so they could to the same with the Camaro.

And so the camaro invasion of finalgear continues, its a bit like that middle part of the zombie movie where your mother or wife dramatically "turns" and starts attacking.

You-Rope-Pee-Ins driving camaros, what next?!?!

Most importantly, would any of you buy one?

If I had the money I would.

Sorry for the odd question, but how much is it in the USA?

A lot less than it's going to cost around here in the Old World, that's for sure.
That's why I'm asking. The Corvette is almost twice as much here compared to the US, so I'm a bit careful on giving you a purchase intention.

Daewoo = Chevvy in Europe - so no do not Brand it Chevvy, Brand it something else. ...

Last edited:
I've got an idea, why not sell it through a tuner, like Al Melling, who can change it's name to something else and put one of his own engines in it, and then forever more we can wind up the Yanks by referring to it as the Melling Cougar; hailing Melling as a genius for inventing such an amazing car. :p

The party piece for the European Camaro is "exclusivity" so to speak. Yes, it'll be more expensive, but you're really just paying for the novelty factor of owning an European Camaro. I wish 'em luck.

Daewoo = Chevvy in Europe - so no do not Brand it Chevvy, Brand it something else. ...

This re branding thing is such BS, anyone who is buying a Corvette or a Camaro in Europe knows it is a Chevy and know about its history, they buy it because it is a Chevy! Ignorant and attention horny people would by a Porsche or a SLK!

And who gives a rats ass about daewoo, its no worse than what Chevy is selling in the US! Give me a Chevrolet Camaro and I will buy it!

I'll wait for the Top Gear review first :mrgreen:

I knew I read something about this car lately. I found a small preview article in the AutoBild Sportscars, and there are two things I don't like much:

weight: 1878 kg = 4140 lb
est. price: 65,000 Euros = about 100,000 US$

:?

A reason that I can think of to keep it as a chevy (and make the vette a chevy too) is as a halo model to make the daewoo-chevy drivers feel less bad about driving a turd on wheels.

I couldn't possibly fathom GM being so thick as to sell a fucking camaro for 65,000 euros. It will likely top out about half that many dollars. Seriously, a camaro to fight the 6 series and merc SL... :rofl:

I knew I read something about this car lately. I found a small preview article in the AutoBild Sportscars, and there are two things I don't like much:

weight: 1878 kg = 4140 lb
est. price: 65,000 Euros = about 100,000 US$

:?

Yeah, at that price only shiny NFL jacket wearing Yankophiles would consider it over similarly priced European cars.

The weight is hardly surprising either.