Camaro ZL-What? 2013 Ford Shelby GT500 delivers 650 HP and 200 MPH straight from Ford

Uh...yes, because 650hp is supercar/hypercar territory. A muscle car should have ample power, but this is just too much for a Mustang (at least from the factory, tuners can do whatever they want). Again, I would much rather they saved this engine for the a Ford GT replacement (with the new 'Vette and Viper coming out, it would make sense for Ford to get back in the supercar game). I know they have to compete with the ZL1, but out HPing it by 70? Too much (10 or 20 more would suffice, no?).

The 428 offered in the '60s Mustang was in super car territory at the time. As were engines offered in "proper" muscle cars like the Pontiac GTO.

Last edited:
I'd say it's less actually.

Remember when Hammond put that GT 500 on the rolling road?

I remember that he gave us the rear wheel horsepower, not the flywheel horsepower. It's one of those 'not technically lying' things.

EDIT: Though I suppose saying it has 650 HP when they mean flywheel HP and not rear wheel HP when it's the rear wheel HP that matters is also 'not technically lying'.

Last edited:
I remember that he gave us the rear wheel horsepower, not the flywheel horsepower. It's one of those 'not technically lying' things.

EDIT: Though I suppose saying it has 650 HP when they mean flywheel HP and not rear wheel HP when it's the rear wheel HP that matters is also 'not technically lying'.

Flywheel HP is the standard for manufacturers and legally what they're saying the engine will produce.

Wheel HP is actually quite variable and depends upon a number of different factors. Which is why I laugh my arse off every time the TG crew claim their rolling road dynos can accurately calculate driveline loss from rundown. Nobody can unless they disassemble, measure and test the entire driveline of the specific car. The most you can do is get ballpark numbers without that.

Last edited:
Again, I would much rather they saved this engine for the a Ford GT replacement

You keep going on about a replacement for the GT, but the past says there will be no replacement for oh... another 40 years or the next special milestone in Ford's history, whichever comes first.

Uh...yes, because 650hp is supercar/hypercar territory. A muscle car should have ample power, but this is just too much for a Mustang (at least from the factory, tuners can do whatever they want). Again, I would much rather they saved this engine for the a Ford GT replacement (with the new 'Vette and Viper coming out, it would make sense for Ford to get back in the supercar game). I know they have to compete with the ZL1, but out HPing it by 70? Too much (10 or 20 more would suffice, no?).

Again, 650 hp was once considered to be too much for any sort of road going car, much less a supercar. And there is nothing wrong with making those kinds of numbers out of any kind of car (except maybe if you're talking a FWD car). For the most part, it's just a number that's going to be tossed around and lauded. What matters is how the car puts that number to the road. High HP numbers are not, and should not, be exclusive to any one type of car.

I sincerely doubt this thing will cost anything less than a solid $80-90k. Before dealer markup.

And I sure as hell hope this thing can actually handle, and significantly better than even the current 5.0. I predict lots of these wrapped around trees in BroCal...

I sincerely doubt this thing will cost anything less than a solid $80-90k. Before dealer markup.

And I sure as hell hope this thing can actually handle, and significantly better than even the current 5.0. I predict lots of these wrapped around trees in BroCal...

And the current ones can't handle?

SoCal'ers not special or unique, these will be wrapped around trees all across this great nation. Don't discriminate :p

And the current ones can't handle?

They do, but seemingly not enough to warrant the probable price tag.

While lap times have been rather impressive (mostly referring the the 5.0 catching up to the M3), I keep hearing Mustangs in general don't feel right. A car of this stature should. If it doesn't, it'll just be yet another tarted up Mustang. And we've seen them with more power than this.

And before I get accused of misunderstanding the point of this car, anything over $40k can't play the muscle-cars-aren't-about-handling card.

SoCal'ers not special or unique, these will be wrapped around trees all across this great nation. Don't discriminate :p

Oh, I doubt not many trees will meet their demise courtesy of rear quarter panels of GT500s, but these sell like hotcakes in LA, and you know very well how many just-affluent-enough brotatos will rush to Ford stealerships to snag themselves the ultimate Mustang. Maybe I'm just bitter from living in the suburbs for too long...

Yup; people wrap the GT around trees often enough as it is, so that's a universal constant. Apparently trees attract V8 Mustangs. :p

Oh, I doubt not many trees will meet their demise courtesy of rear quarter panels of GT500s, but these sell like hotcakes in LA, and you know very well how many just-affluent-enough brotatos will rush to Ford stealerships to snag themselves the ultimate Mustang. Maybe I'm just bitter from living in the suburbs for too long...

I know, but stop talking about idiot brotards in LA, mentioning them on the internet gives them unwanted strength, kinda like invoking Satan's name.

The ZL1 goes for about 55k. If Ford expect the GT500 to compete with the ZL1 for sales then they would have to price the GT500 within a few thousand dollars of the ZL1.

They do, but seemingly not enough to warrant the probable price tag.

While lap times have been rather impressive (mostly referring the the 5.0 catching up to the M3), I keep hearing Mustangs in general don't feel right. A car of this stature should. If it doesn't, it'll just be yet another tarted up Mustang. And we've seen them with more power than this.

And before I get accused of misunderstanding the point of this car, anything over $40k can't play the muscle-cars-aren't-about-handling card.

I personally have heard great things about the Mustang's handling, lap times aside, especially the Boss. They're bound to have learned a lesson or two from the Boss that's been applied to this.

I know, but stop talking about idiot brotards in LA, mentioning them on the internet gives them unwanted strength, kinda like invoking Satan's name.

You make a good point, sir, and I shall attempt to ignore them henceforth.

I personally have heard great things about the Mustang's handling, lap times aside, especially the Boss. They're bound to have learned a lesson or two from the Boss that's been applied to this.

I hope you've heard the truth and I've only gleaned bias. The more well-handling cars, the betterer.

2010+ Mustang fans get all upset when ppl make jokes about live real axel handling poorness of Mustang's past. They posting track photos of modern modded Mustang GTs that corner as well in the circuit bends as sports cars with IRS. You (the general internet public) decide if the new Mustang enthusiasts are telling the truth or not.

2010+ Mustang fans get all upset when ppl make jokes about live real axel handling poorness of Mustang's past. They posting track photos of modern modded Mustang GTs that corner as well in the circuit bends as sports cars with IRS. You (the general internet public) decide if the new Mustang enthusiasts are telling the truth or not.

Around a well maintained track there isn't a huge difference. On not so well maintained roads the stick axle becomes an issue.

Around a well maintained track there isn't a huge difference. On not so well maintained roads the stick axle becomes an issue.

Nice point, so does that mean on less-than-perfect real world roads, axle hop and handling stuttering is more pronounced? because yeah everyone counters the arguement about RLA handling with track car examples only.

Nice point, so does that mean on less-than-perfect real world roads, axle hop and handling stuttering is more pronounced? because yeah everyone counters the arguement about RLA handling with track car examples only.

Yup, it does. We just had this discussion in the "2015 Mustang" thread.

The S197 live axle was heavily developed to try to mitigate the classic SRA problems, and they did a good job of it. Problem is, the cost per car to do that was within $100 of a properly engineered IRS, and while the desisgn mostly mitigates the classic SRA problems it does not eliminate them.

Last edited: