Camaro ZL-What? 2013 Ford Shelby GT500 delivers 650 HP and 200 MPH straight from Ford

Jalopnik said:
Say what? Yes, the 2013 Shelby GT500 has reportedly topped out at 202 mph on Italy's Nard? test track. If true, it means the 650-hp hellhorse is as fast as a Lamborghini LP 570-4 Superleggera. That's kind of a big deal.

According to MustangsDaily, SVT boss engineer Jamal Hameedi said the GT500 achieved that big number by way of the supercharged 5.8-liter V8's copious power (an extra 100 hp since 2012) and the car's improved aerodynamic profile.

No N?rburgring time yet, but maybe SVT will make an exception to its enduring 'Ring shyness ? just this once.

Ahem. I believe Cold Fussion now has some crow that he needs to be consuming.

How is it that FoMoCo is getting their main brand so right, yet they're fucking up Lincoln so badly?

/me seems to be on a rant against Lincoln lately

/me seems to be quite enjoying it, kthnx

If true, it means the 650-hp hellhorse is as fast as a Lamborghini LP 570-4 Superleggera. That's kind of a big deal.

1133-are-you-fucking-kidding-me.png

This is the Boss 302 LS all over again. That time they spent ages at a specific track developing a car that was slightly faster than an M3, even though the M3 development team had never shown any interest in that track. This time they're faster in a straight line than a car specifically designed to be good in the corners.

What a lot of marketing bullshit.

Reactions: TC

Unfortunately, he'll be too busy trying to fit a five-pot turbo into a GT500.

Nah, he'll just disappear from the thread as he usually does when he is proven wrong.

How is it that FoMoCo is getting their main brand so right, yet they're fucking up Lincoln so badly?

Ford is focusing on getting their big sellers set straight first before they start to futz over their luxury division.

This is the Boss 302 LS all over again. That time they spent ages at a specific track developing a car that was slightly faster than an M3, even though the M3 development team had never shown any interest in that track. This time they're faster in a straight line than a car specifically designed to be good in the corners.

Lamborghini makes cars that corner? :p A 202 mph car is still a 202 mph car. That you can get a car that fast at that price and still have it be comfortable is amazing in its own right.

This car = EPIC WIN.

1133-are-you-fucking-kidding-me.png

lol y u mad though

Are people seriously complaining about a car having too much horsepower? I want you all to turn in your man cards now.

Are people seriously complaining about a car having too much horsepower? I want you all to turn in your man cards now.

Kindly fuck off. Some of us have no issue with gobs of power, so long as it's complemented with appropriate handling capabilities.

You know, something your dream car ?doesn't have. :D

Kindly fuck off. Some of us have no issue with gobs of power, so long as it's complemented with appropriate handling capabilities.

Strange, it had enough handling to kick everyone's arse at LeMans repeatedly.

Also, anyone driving a Camry doesn't get to comment on 'appropriate handling'. :p

Strange, it had enough handling to kick everyone's arse at LeMans repeatedly.

A stock convertible Viper handles well?

Also, anyone driving a Camry doesn't get to comment on 'appropriate handling'. :p

My car was a freebie from parents. I didn't choose it. You, on the other hand, chose your boats. ;)

Embedding disabled by request.

But that's really cool. And not really on my priority list. We all have our preferences, no?

A stock convertible Viper handles well?

Actually, it does. However, they're not friendly. Excellent handling does not necessarily equal friendly. Just ask Hammond about driving an F1 car, or anyone who rides an R1.

My car was a freebie from parents. I didn't choose it. You, on the other hand, chose your boats. ;)

Yup, most of which were widely acknowledged as being among the best handling sedans of their times. At least I know what handling is. :p

:lol: Oh Spectre, you're amazing!

I'll be quiet now, before this thread derails because of my interest in an aspect of this car most of you don't seem to care for...at all. We'll see in the end, won't we?

:lol: Oh Spectre, you're amazing!

I didn't say anything about braking, however... :p Considering the first gen used the brakes from a Sebring...

In any case, the area of development on this car that I would be most worried about would be the brakes. Ford tends to underspec their brakes.

Last edited:
Because it's a cheap car with 650hp, that's enough of a marketing reason... but oh no, they have to try to make up some sort of 'giant killer' marketing angle.

If they've made a blisteringly-quick car, why would they hide it? Power is useless if you can't put it down properly, but 200+ mph in an (estimated) $60,000 car is quite the achievement, and indeed there are much more expensive cars that aren't capable of such speeds. It's simple marketing, if you have a good car you tell people about it. Otherwise, you end up with Suzuki.