Camera Accessories...?

BigDaveDogg

Car(s)
GG IX SE
Finally going to pick up my first DSLR (D80) and I'd like your input on accessories to get with it. I did a quick search, didn't come up with much. This forum's experience would help me out a lot, so I'd appreciate any help/advice you have to give.

First, I'm going to buy the obvious essentials, but I've got a few questions about the options out there...
-Tripods: a lot of my shots when I get the camera are going to be automotive related, and shots from close to the ground always turn out nice. Is there a tripod that can double for low shots as well as standing height, or will I have to pick up a "compact" or "tabletop/mini" as well as a regular? Also, looking for a quick release setup as well. Is there anything else on a tripod I should be looking out for?
-Memory/Storage: I'd like a "high speed" card, but while browsing I've noticed some claimed "high speed" were rated at 6MB/sec, while one was at 20MB/sec. This one has a pretty interesting USB capability, which would come in handy...is it still a regular size card that will work in any SD card camera? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...SDSDPX3_004GR_4GB_Extreme_Ducati_Edition.html Also, last question for memory, what exactly is the difference between reg SD and SDHC? I'm thinking a card of 4gb will be more than enough for me, but given two cards at that size, one SD and the other SDHC, what is the difference?
-Cases: haven't really even began looking into them, but if you have a preference or opinion on the options, I'd like to hear it.
-Battery: what kind of battery life will I see with the D80? Does any novice photographer here carry multiple batteries on them?
-Lenses: I've got to do some homework before I start asking for any help here, but if you've got recommendations I'm open to hearing them.

I had some other questions that I can't remember anymore, so I suppose I'll ask them as they come to me. If you have any accessories or anything you can't do without, please share. One thing that is kind of unusual that I'll be picking up is a suction car mount for some interesting shots and video: http://www.filmtools.com/succupmoun.html

:cheers:

Good choice, I got the same one :)

-Memory/Storage: I'd like a "high speed" card, but while browsing I've noticed some claimed "high speed" were rated at 6MB/sec, while one was at 20MB/sec. This one has a pretty interesting USB capability, which would come in handy...is it still a regular size card that will work in any SD card camera? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...SDSDPX3_004GR_4GB_Extreme_Ducati_Edition.html Also, last question for memory, what exactly is the difference between reg SD and SDHC? I'm thinking a card of 4gb will be more than enough for me, but given two cards at that size, one SD and the other SDHC, what is the difference?

The SDHC I think is 'high capacity', I got a 8gb and can have about 450 pics in both jpg and raw.

-Cases: haven't really even began looking into them, but if you have a preference or opinion on the options, I'd like to hear it.

I really love my crumbler bag, it's the one made for nikon, but it only holds the camera body and 2 lenses and some small accesories.

-Battery: what kind of battery life will I see with the D80? Does any novice photographer here carry multiple batteries on them?

I bought an extra battery for mine, but haven't had the need for it yet. I think I took 250 pics before I changed, but it still had 2 of 5 lines left.

BDD, I have had my D50 for a year and half now and the battery is still going strong. So you can get one extra, but from what I heard and experienced, Nikon battery's are pretty good.

As far as cases go, get a LowePro. You will not regret it. I bought all my stuff at Wolf Camera on Randall in Batavia, and their prices are comparable to anything you will find on the internet.

The SDHC I think is 'high capacity', I got a 8gb and can have about 450 pics in both jpg and raw.
I know it's high capacity, but does that mean yours holds more than a regular 8gb SD?

BDD, I have had my D50 for a year and half now and the battery is still going strong. So you can get one extra, but from what I heard and experienced, Nikon battery's are pretty good.

As far as cases go, get a LowePro. You will not regret it. I bought all my stuff at Wolf Camera on Randall in Batavia, and their prices are comparable to anything you will find on the internet.
Thanks for the advice as usual, jayhawk. It looks like I'll be able to get by with one battery. I'll have to check out those cases, and that Wolf Camera is right up the road from me so I'll have to check that out as well.

Thanks again guys :cheers:

8GB is 8GB, it's just a different format. Some older cameras (like my D50) can't use SDHC cards correctly.

For a tripod, I suggest a midrange Bogen/Manfrotto setup with a decent ballhead. I would budget around $200 - $250 for a good, solid tripod. Many people skimp on their support system, but I would never trust my camera on a Wal-Mart special. DSLR's are heavy and cheap tripods aren't designed to support them. A stiff breeze + cheap tripod = smashed camera.

Memory card: I use an assortment of SD cards in the 1-2GB range because I don't like having everything on one card if something goes horribly wrong. This may not matter to you - I'm just slightly paranoid. Check out www.robgalbraith.com, he's got charts of how fast different cards work in different cameras. That being said, 90% of the time you won't notice write speed, your limiting factor is going to be the camera's buffer.

Cases, I use a Lowepro Stealth Reporter 500 for my usual on-location gear (Body, 2 primes, wide zoom, big tele, flash, filter and other stuff). It's a great bag and I like it a lot. If you don't need to haul a lot of gear, the Crumpler shoulder bags are fantastic and their backpacks are great as well.

Battery life on DSLR's is fantastic, I charge mine on average 1-2 times a month, depending on how heavily I'm shooting. I've gotten 4500+ exposures on one battery before. A backup battery is a good idea, but I've never bothered yet.

Lenses are 100% user-preference. The 18-135 kit lens is a great starter, and you can move into more specialized equipment when you decide you need it.

8GB is 8GB, it's just a different format. Some older cameras (like my D50) can't use SDHC cards correctly.

For a tripod, I suggest a midrange Bogen/Manfrotto setup with a decent ballhead. I would budget around $200 - $250 for a good, solid tripod. Many people skimp on their support system, but I would never trust my camera on a Wal-Mart special. DSLR's are heavy and cheap tripods aren't designed to support them. A stiff breeze + cheap tripod = smashed camera.

Memory card: I use an assortment of SD cards in the 1-2GB range because I don't like having everything on one card if something goes horribly wrong. This may not matter to you - I'm just slightly paranoid. Check out www.robgalbraith.com, he's got charts of how fast different cards work in different cameras. That being said, 90% of the time you won't notice write speed, your limiting factor is going to be the camera's buffer.

Cases, I use a Lowepro Stealth Reporter 500 for my usual on-location gear (Body, 2 primes, wide zoom, big tele, flash, filter and other stuff). It's a great bag and I like it a lot. If you don't need to haul a lot of gear, the Crumpler shoulder bags are fantastic and their backpacks are great as well.

Battery life on DSLR's is fantastic, I charge mine on average 1-2 times a month, depending on how heavily I'm shooting. I've gotten 4500+ exposures on one battery before. A backup battery is a good idea, but I've never bothered yet.

Lenses are 100% user-preference. The 18-135 kit lens is a great starter, and you can move into more specialized equipment when you decide you need it.

I thought reg SD and SDHC cards of the same size (gb) had the same capacity, wasn't sure though. Sounds like the Lowepro bags are fairly popular here, and I'm thinking a backpack setup would be convenient. I'll be starting with the 18-135 kit lens for sure, and take it from there. Thanks for opinion/advice, greatly appreciated.

hey guys.. do a little reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital_card#SDHC

Technically all SD cards over 4gb are SDHC, whether it says it is or not.. and most cards 2gb and above are SDHC as well.

The Nikon cameras are typically extremely good on battery life. The d70 is one of the better ones, but for what it's worth I can get around 3000 - 4000 shots in a day, with lots of checking the LCD, using one battery. I always carry two and try to keep the spare fully charged. When I'm not shooting a lot one battery is usually in the camera for well over a month and I never turn the camera off (don't really need to).

Battery life on subsequent cameras isn't quite as good, and battery life will always be affected by how much you use autofocus, view the LCD, use the onboard flash, and use VR. But in general, for most casual shooters, one battery will work well enough that you'll probably never run it low, unless you don't charge it for two months :)

The Nikon cameras are typically extremely good on battery life. The d70 is one of the better ones, but for what it's worth I can get around 3000 - 4000 shots in a day, with lots of checking the LCD, using one battery. I always carry two and try to keep the spare fully charged. When I'm not shooting a lot one battery is usually in the camera for well over a month and I never turn the camera off (don't really need to).

Battery life on subsequent cameras isn't quite as good, and battery life will always be affected by how much you use autofocus, view the LCD, use the onboard flash, and use VR. But in general, for most casual shooters, one battery will work well enough that you'll probably never run it low, unless you don't charge it for two months :)

3000-4000 shots a day...you are doing some serious shooting! You don't turn the camera off when you're not using it? I think that's the first time I've ever heard that... :dunno:

3000-4000 shots a day...you are doing some serious shooting! You don't turn the camera off when you're not using it? I think that's the first time I've ever heard that... :dunno:

DSLR's automatically go into "standby" after ~30 seconds of inactivity, so the only thing being powered is the top status LCD. I've left my camera on for three weeks accidentally and it didn't make a dent in the battery.

DSLR's automatically go into "standby" after ~30 seconds of inactivity, so the only thing being powered is the top status LCD. I've left my camera on for three weeks accidentally and it didn't make a dent in the battery.

exactly... as I said my camera is almost never turned off. It turns itself off. The only reason to use the power switch is to make sure there's no accidental power going to the memory card or the lens mount when changing those, or to make sure the camera doesn't come on during transportation. So consider your 'off switch' as a lock rather than a power switch. There've been times when my camera has sat nearly unused for over a month. No big deal..

I figured there was a standby mode, but why not just turn it off? I'll be turning it off unless there is some sort of reason not to. :?

I'm gonna bump this thread rather than starting a new one.

I need some help looking for a case. I've pretty much decided on a backpack. I've been looking on B&H at the Lowepro's and Crumpler's, and there are so many I don't know what I should be looking for as far as padding and whatnot. I'd like the bag to fit my D80, a couple lenses, other various gear, and preferably a tripod. Most don't have a place for a tripod, so I might just do without that, but don't really want to. Also noticed quite a few have room for a laptop, so I'll probably pick one up that accomodates my 17". I'd like a backpack so I can bring my gear with me when I ride. So...anyone have any additional help or recommendations?

i think most decent tripods will go low.

with my manfrotto 190 something you can remove the center post. take the detachable bit off the bottom, put that ontop of the tripod, mount the camera and then unlatch the legs from their standard movement range and they can pivot out to just over 90+ degrees. so you can go flat to the ground

failing that you can just take the post out, turn it upside down, put it back in an mount the camera upside down. all thats needed is a rotate, though i would of thought with orientation sensors you wont even have to do that

the d80's a nice chunky camera so this may not be too much of an issue..... but you could go for a battery grip. it'll hold two batteries at a time and then you gotta really shoot the shit out of stuff to run out of juice. you'll find that battery life will actually go up over time

when i first started i was in the settings and menu's every 10 seconds fiddling so the screen was on constantly. now i know what im doing a bit more the screen is hardly ever on. i've taken 500-600 shots in one night over a couple of hours and the battery life indicator only budged from 3 bars to 2 at the very end of the night when i was showing people pictures.

Last edited: