Campagna T-Rex

Bubs360

Car(s)
'91 Sentra SE-R, 2003 Triumph Speed Triple 955i
2005_0612Bikeweek0026.jpg

The Campagna T-Rex was a car that I would always see around on bike week where swarms of them would come into town. I never really got to see one up close until I went on a motorcycle poker run for charity and one of these tagged along for the whole 250 mile ride (or drive). The orange one above was an earlier model that I shot in 2005.

DSCF6014.jpg

The captivating styling of this bike-car-thingy is backed up with a 1.4 liter DOHC Kawasaki 1352cc inline four which produces 187hp. With a dry weight of 900lb, which is even less than that of my Subaru but with almost eight times the horsepower It?s damn quick!

DSCF6013.jpg

The 16' front rims suit the car nicely. It's stopped by 11 inch Brembo cross-drilled discs with 4-piston aluminum calipers.

DSCF6015.jpg

It rockets to sixty from a standstill in only 3.5 seconds and can reach almost 160mph, if you dare. If you want to go that quick, however, you probably want to buy the optional windshield. If you master the throttle control and the six-speed sequential gearbox you can go through the quarter mile in around 13 seconds.

DSCF6011h.jpg

On a bike like mine I only saw it from this view going down the road.

DSCF6016n.jpg

The projector headlights provide good visibility at night along with having a nice quirky style to them.

DSCF6012.jpg

Lack of load space is fixed with two hard, body-colored saddle bags at each side so you can carry small items. Don?t expect to go grocery shopping, however. The low profile of the car along with keeping the saddlebags as inboard as possible keeps the T-Rex aerodynamic.

DSCF6010g.jpg

It has three-point retractable safety belts and you will want to make good use of them. Thanks to a low center of gravity and a wide, single rear wheel the T-Rex can achieve greater g-forces that a majority of four-wheeled sports cars. It isn't the most comfortable or practical vehicle in the world, but I would still love to take one for a spin.

I always thought they were awesome... even if Ja Rule has one.

I love the T-Rex for the speed and fun factor. But I think If I were in the market for a strange looking three wheeler, I'd buy a Carver just cause it's bonkers.

I saw TWO of these parked outside a 24 hour fitness a couple weeks ago, and I was incredibly underwhelmed. They didn't look put together very well, I honestly think that if I had a fucking garage( :mad: ) I could put something just as good together for around $5k.

for $40k no fucking thanks. There are better 3 wheeled vehicles around.

Perhaps it's just me, but I think this is one ugly looking vehicle...

For the above two posts I can understand where you're coming from. While trying to exercise my journalistic side in writing this "article", if you will, I forgot to mention the downsides. The thing is a bit wacky looking, kind of like a Zonda. Sort of has that love or hate styling to it. The other thing I forgot to mention is that it kind of has a "made in China" look to it when you really examine it up close. I've got to remember to note the downsides as I write. :lol:

It was on Fifth Gear before:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38TFetQAe2o[/YOUTUBE]

I'd much rather build one of these:

complete13.jpg

notice I didn't say buy. I think projects like this are great for homebuilders, because you can basically take any wrecked motorcycle from a cycle junkyard or shop that sells such things, and copy bits from a go kart manual and build one, which is basically what all these guys do. the T-rex being the most obvious that I've seen so far. get up close and it really does look like someone took a wrecked kart and a wrecked bike and put the two together under some questionably made fiberglass.