Can a stock Golf Mark III be raised?

Power Ranger

Currently I have a need to raise the rear dampers of my mums Golf III(it's stock). Can it be done at home? Do I need somesort of an oil to fill the dampers? My technical knowledge isn't great so I'm sorry for my pretty basic questions. Thanks for answers!

euh...first, why do you want to raise it?

second, does it need to be higher, or did it drop for no apparent reason

third, you don't raise a car by putting extra oil in the shocks, you need different shocks, or if you only want to alter a little bit, you can buy new plates which go on top of the shock, and connect it with the car itself (dunno what they're called in english)

My guess is that the struts/springs have aged, sagged, (thus lowering the car) and now need replacement.

Actually they haven't aged, but my family is planning a trip with a lots of luggage and I wouldn't call my brother small. I just thought that raising the rear dampers was a good idea to prevent some damage to the suspension. Maybe there is something else that we could do?

Hire a bigger car.

Short of replacing the shocks and springs or adding lift blocks there's no way I know of to do what you are asking. The suspension geometry on cars is not designed for that sort of thing. I think the car has an independent rear suspension, depending on the design and geometry you could screw up the wheel camber and wreck your tires in the process. According to Wikipedia, the Golf III introduced a new more sporty suspension that lowered the car more than previous generations. You might not want to go messing around with that.

Yep, get a rental.

Actually they haven't aged, but my family is planning a trip with a lots of luggage and I wouldn't call my brother small. I just thought that raising the rear dampers was a good idea to prevent some damage to the suspension. Maybe there is something else that we could do?

Meh, my dad and I loaded all my shit into our Felicia Estate, it took up all the space even after the bigger half of the rear seat was removed (the other half was folded), did 500 km in two days on our terrible roads (we were visiting my grandma), left it parked on an upwards slope overnight and it's STILL fine.

I don't think you need to do any suspension modifications for a family trip.

Sure, the car will squat some. Yes, it wil handle VERY different, but you're not going to damage your car unless you do something like this:
overloaded-car.jpg
stupid198.jpg
car-overloaded.jpg

As the suspension gets compressed, it pushes back harder. Don't worry if you put 100 lbs in and you car goes down a half-inch. It will take more weight than that for the next 1/2 inch, and even more for the next. Your ride will become increasingly stiff, but there's really no danger from just people and luggage...unless someone is travelling with bags of concrete...

get a citroen :lol:

you actually don?t want to make it higher, but harder.......but I think getting new dampers afterwards would come cheaper :)