• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Can someone explain the RX-8 to me

qube

This car seems quite popular on here but I can't think why.

To me it's a cool looking thing but let down terribly by that nasty revvy engine.

It's got no tourque, drinks oil and produces crappy milage.

Also as it's mainly driven by women who never check the oil in a car anyway a second hand one is probably going to need a new engine.

Can someone explain the attraction?

Matthew

It's a hot car! 8) who cares about what engine and how long the oil last?

Man, I think somebody is gonna BAN you...

Buba

Re: Can someone explain the RX-8 to me

qube said:
This car seems quite popular on here but I can't think why.

To me it's a cool looking thing but let down terribly by that nasty revvy engine.

It's got no tourque, drinks oil and produces crappy milage.

Also as it's mainly driven by women who never check the oil in a car anyway a second hand one is probably going to need a new engine.

Can someone explain the attraction?

Matthew

Since when?

Also, Have you driven one and taken that "nasty revvy engine" to redline? Last time I did that I nearly creamed my pants.

Buba said:
Man, I think somebody is gonna BAN you...

Buba

Yeah. I hope you know all about the Rotary Revolution, and how its only a 1,3 and produces 238hp. Its got that something special...

And when thy finally put a turbo on it, its gonna be really desireable...

Buba

Yes I know about the rotary engine. The high BHP figure is due to the extremely high revs.

BHP is torque X RPM so a low torque engine will produce high horses if it can rev high enough. Doesn't mean it it's a powerful engine, Motor bike engines have similar output figures but they suck when used in a heavy car as the torque is too low to pull the car along.

I just think that the car would've been much better if it had had a normal engine in it.

They can't put a turbo on it as the exhaust pressure isn't high enough.
If anything it'll have an electrically driven super charger on it.

As for the drivers, I see dozens of them on the road every day and rarely see a bloke behind the wheel.

qube said:
I just think that the car would've been much better if it had had a normal engine in it.

While that maybe true (who knows...), its appeal would be lost in an instant...

Buba

OK but that's the question I asked, why is this engine an appeal?

Yes it's unusual but it has low power, revs high making for unpleasant motorway cruising due to the high pitched noise. It drinks oil and petrol.

My old 5.7 SBC V8 gets much better milage produces a much bigger output and doesn't use a drop of oil.

Don't understand the appeal of this rotary engine.

gube said:
Yes it's unusual but it has low power, revs high making for unpleasant motorway cruising due to the high pitched noise. It drinks oil and petrol.

well... high-revving engines are a blast to be in

qube said:
Yes I know about the rotary engine. The high BHP figure is due to the extremely high revs.

BHP is torque X RPM so a low torque engine will produce high horses if it can rev high enough. Doesn't mean it it's a powerful engine, Motor bike engines have similar output figures but they suck when used in a heavy car as the torque is too low to pull the car along.

As for the drivers, I see dozens of them on the road every day and rarely see a bloke behind the wheel.

As said in another thread its already been done.

Also it would not have been an RX car if it had a "normal" engine in it.

kebab said:
i have drivern the RX8 and its almost perfect...

exactly... this is what makes the rotary engine better than the normal one, it is smaller and takes up less space and therefore can be mounted lower and closer to the center of the car which equals very good handling

qube said:

Mate...I'm no RX-8 fanboy, but you're chatting shit! The RX-7 had a turbo on it standard, and there are seveal turbo kits for the RX-8 already. Have you ever actually seen a real turbo? You can turn the exhaust turbine by blowing into it! They run on roller bearings so have very little resitance.

And an electrically driven supercharger???!!! LOL. WTF is that about? Explain to me what the problem would be with running one off the engines output shaft?

Anyway.....I'm guessing you only started this thread to wind people up....but get your facts right!

:lol:

qube: u must enlighten us, I'm waiting anciously :p

haz

Kebab gud said:
i have drivern the RX8 and its almost perfect... it handels good.. a NA high reving engine is the best engines you can get ..
have you tested it?

i've driven it and i personally hate it...
sorry ren...

Probably warming up ... or counting to 10 ... many times over ...

haz

mmap said:
And since when has BHP beem torque x rpm??

Since always...

And from my experience with a S2000 engine, which has similar outputs, the low torque is a false problem when you have short gearing.

Every car has it's own purpose, so if you want gas-guzzling lazy american engines, you can choose them, if you want adrenaline pumping, you can have a high revving engine. :mrgreen: