Can someone explain to me why anyone wants to vote for McCain/Palin?

For years now I've heard people espousing this "trickle-down" theory of economic growth. And for years I've seen our economy get worse and worse. I just don't believe it.
We'll the opposite view to Reagenomics is the Keynesian point of view. I really don't think weighing down businesses with regulations is ever good. More so micro managing the economy never encourages saving, and the lack of people saving is what got us into this place.

^ Except more regulation would probably have made the 2008 financial meltdown either a lot easier or non-existent.

No?

Went to the best schools in the US through merit and not because of daddy's govt post.

If by "merit" you mean "affirmative action" then I agree completely. Perhaps you can name me a white editor-in-chief of the Harvard Law Review who never wrote a single legal monograph.

^ Except more regulation would probably have made the 2008 financial meltdown either a lot easier or non-existent.

No?

No. Regulations contributed directly in a causative manner to the 2008 financial meltdown.

I thought all this started because the banks were giving away more money than they had? And the governments didn't find out until the shit had hit the fan?

I thought all this started because the banks were giving away more money than they had? And the governments didn't find out until the shit had hit the fan?

No, this all started because the government guaranteed loans to people with bad credit, so the banks made the risky loans and too many of them defaulted, so they went to the government for money (Freddie Mac/Fannie Mae) and the money ran out.

Ah, economics always outsmarted me.

I remember a discussion, I think in this thread, about the financial crunch being the fault of the Bill Clinton administration. Was it because they regulated too much or too little?

Ah, economics always outsmarted me.

I remember a discussion, I think in this thread, about the financial crunch being the fault of the Bill Clinton administration. Was it because they regulated too much or too little?

Too much. They basically told banks that they had to make this risky "sub prime" loans saying that they would guarantee then value of the loans. When the mortgage companies saw that the loans were guaranteed they saw "gold in them thar hills" and began sub prime lending as well, and when all of the risky loans defaulted, the government didn't have enough cash on hand to pay the value of the loans out to the lenders, so a lot of mortgage companies went bust.

If I am a banker, am I going to loan to someone with bad credit? Hell no, businesses, banks specifically, generally do things that will allow them to keep their doors open and revenue pouring in. Making loads of risky loans like that is just stupid.

Makes sense, thanks for that.

I guess with the election in the US and the elections here in Canada, I haven't really looked into the financial crisis.

Makes sense, thanks for that.

I guess with the election in the US and the elections here in Canada, I haven't really looked into the financial crisis.

No problemo.

My brother worked at a mortgage company that managed to avoid the crisis and he said that some companies were issuing 90 year loans. NINETY FUCKING YEAR mortgage. That's just fucking insane.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mBi7d6e5KI[/YOUTUBE]

:lol: :rofl:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLVSURlFoQs&NR=1[/YOUTUBE]

No?

The government (in the guise of Housing and Urban Development aka HUD, Fannie Mae, and Freddie Mac) is what strong-armed banks into making loans they wouldn't have ordinarily made in the first place. Government has been forcing banks to make bad loans to deadbeats to be "compassionate" and have "more diverse" portfolios. The goal is noble -- for more people to own their own homes. But in the end, we got bad loans to deadbeats and people who can't pay back what they borrowed, or people who buy too much home for what they can really afford, and have adjustable mortgages so when interest rates go up they can no longer afford their mortgage payments, thus we end up with a foreclosure nightmare and bad loans nobody wants to touch.

Which is how we got into this mess.

Then take a look at what out-of-power politicians have been working at, or sitting on the board of, those three government organizations -- some of the very same people crying for more government regulation. It's a fix, a power grab, and the fleecing of the tax payer and I'm shocked people don't see it for what it is.

Also, it sounds like a few posts up that people aren't clear on what "Fannie Mae" and "Freddie Mac" exactlly are. They are government-run corporations, like the Post Office or Amtrak. If any of you had school loans like I did, you had to deal with Sally Mae which is the equivalent. Fanny and Freddie are government run quasi-companies that were set up to guarantee loans to "needy" people at better than market rates who might not be able to get them on the free market. In other words it's a government cash machine.

One of the big scams is that a lot of out of power politicians (such as Jamie Gorelik, one of Clinton's tsars) get cushy multi-million dollar jobs there when they have absolutely not a shred of financial knowledge. It's a place to get a cushy job and pad your nest while your party is out of power. Barney Frank's lover was also on the board, and to add insult to injury Fannie/Freddy make political contributions, the largest beneficiary of which was Sen. Chris Dodd. Am I the only one who sees something wrong with a government-run company stocked with out of power politicians making political campaign contributions?

Last edited:
break out the roflcopter

Apparently each year, the Governors save one turkey from being slaughtered at Thanksgiving.
Here's Sarah Palin's interview. Look at the background. Before anyone whines, she was informed there was a guy there killing turkeys and was OK with it.

[YOUTUBE]z-kjM1asH-8[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Roflcopter ordered!
roflcopter.gif

That was pretty funny though...

Yea, Eastern Washington is Washington's Northern California.

Ahem.

http://img91.imageshack.**/img91/3140/californiamapshowingsanoe7.png

San Francisco.
Northern California.

Yeahhh.

I think it's also worth noting that both states are hideously gerrymandered.

In this whole discussion of the mortgage mess no one mentioned Credit Default Swaps which were a multi-trillion dollar insurance market that was completely unregulated.

The knee jerk reaction on the left to blame Bush and on the Right to blame Clinton or Carter is stupid. There is plenty of blame to go around and no one is innocent but you can't say that a 50 trillion dollar unregulated insurance market is a good idea.

NPR did several good stories on the CDS problem. One of them is here but you really need to read/listen to the whole series.

you can't say that a 50 trillion dollar unregulated insurance market is a good idea.

A 50 trillion dollar unregulated insurance market is a good idea.

Is this an insurance crisis? No.
Is this a banking crisis? Yes.
Are banks regulated? Yes.
Q.E.D.

Regulations = good.

A 50 trillion dollar unregulated insurance market is a good idea.

Is this an insurance crisis? No.
Is this a banking crisis? Yes.
Are banks regulated? Yes.
Q.E.D.

Did you even look at the article I posted or do any research about the CDS markets?

The Credit Default Swaps are just us much at the core of the problem as The Mortgage derivatives and CDO markets. Do you now what a CDS is and how it works? If so please explain it to me and then tell me how it isn't related to the current crisis.