Can sony actually fit any more nails in the PS3's coffin?

otispunkmeyer

Car(s)
'03 Skoda Superb (farewell :(), '06 Honda Civic ES
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/02/23/european_ps3_has_less_functionality_than_us_japan/

so first it gets delayed in europe to which sony says we wont mind

then they decide just to sell the 60gb, ie most expensive model

then we end up paying way more than everyone else (japan pays the equivalent of 60% of what we will have to pay if we want a PS3)

now, along with some suspect design choices and a fairly weak games line up sony have decided to do the following:

the chips in side the PS3 which allow it to be backward compatible with the PS2 are being completely removed. removed!

so along with the gouged price, its actually less functional than the US and Jap versions

Well... it's not like previous consoles from other manufacturers
didn't have such tall prices and weird decisions.

I've been following the industry since around 1990,
and basically it was always like that.

Both PSX and PS2 were much more expensive in Europe,
they also had weak games in the first year etc.

an then the price
In US 599$ = 455?
In Japan 59980 yen = 377?
and in Finland 650? = 850 $

Over here the first versions are being advertised for AUD$999 (791US). Absolutely ridiculous prices for a games console.

the chips in side the PS3 which allow it to be backward compatible with the PS2 are being completely removed. removed!

Why the fuck would they do that... i was actually considering buying a PS3 but now im defenitly not going to. I already have a PS2 but im sick of sony shafting europe and australia.

Last edited:
shit that means we get the neutered version as well because for some wierd reason we're SCEE (Sony Computer Entertainment Europe)

now, along with some suspect design choices and a fairly weak games line up sony have decided to do the following:

so along with the gouged price, its actually less functional than the US and Jap versions
I'm sorry, but this is B/S. It is correct that they removed the chips which emulate the PS2. What you forgot to mention is that they replaced it with software emulation, just like the XBOX 360 does it. That means that you can still play PS2 games on PS3, and that compatibility can acually be improved, because the emulation software can be upgraded over the net, which you can't do with hardware.

It's fine if you have no interest in the PS3, but if you bash it, get your facts straight. The "this thing is useless"-reputation of the PS3 has little to no reasons and is created by false informations like this and fanboyism. :mad:

Regards
the Interceptor

A more accurate version of the story.

PS3 less backwards-compatible in Europe?
Sony admits that the support for PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games in Europe will not be "as good as the US and Japan."
By Emma Boyes, GameSpot UK
Posted Feb 23, 2007 3:30 am PT

The European model of the PlayStation 3, due to launch on March 23, will use different hardware specifications from the models already released in Japan on November 11, 2006, and in the US on November 17, Sony announced in a statement today.

The European PS3s will be designed differently, meaning that a "new combination of hardware and software emulation" will enable the new PS3s to be compatible with only a "limited range" of PS2 titles and a "broad range" of original PlayStation games.

A Sony spokesperson told Reuters that "the backwards compatibility is not going to be as good as the US and Japan models."

SCEE president David Reeves added, "PS3 is first and foremost a system that excels in playing games specifically designed to exploit the power and potential of the PS3 system. Games designed for PS3 offer incredible graphics quality, stunning gameplay, and massively improved audio and video fidelity that is simply not achievable with PS and PS2 games. Rather than concentrate on PS2 backwards compatibility, in the future, company resources will be increasingly focused on developing new games and entertainment features exclusively for PS3, truly taking advantage of this exciting technology."

In a statement, the company added that some additional titles would be made compatible through regular firmware updates--a similar setup as in the US, where initially some previous Sony format games experienced problems, but many were fixed through online updates for the console. The Japanese and American PS3s play an estimated 98 percent of the old games. The first update is planned for the European and Australian launch on March 23, and gamers can check out compatibility on Sony's Web site, which will go live on the launch date.

Source

Also check out this thread all about the PS3.

I'm sorry, but this is B/S. It is correct that they removed the chips which emulate the PS2. What you forgot to mention is that they replaced it with software emulation, just like the XBOX 360 does it. That means that you can still play PS2 games on PS3, and that compatibility can acually be improved, because the emulation software can be upgraded over the net, which you can't do with hardware.

It's fine if you have no interest in the PS3, but if you bash it, get your facts straight. The "this thing is useless"-reputation of the PS3 has little to no reasons and is created by false informations like this and fanboyism. :mad:

Regards
the Interceptor

get your facts straight

yes i realise software emulation has replaced it. but sony themselves have confirmed that the support will be lacking indeed. it will have nothing like the performance or support of the dedicated hardware. this was one of the major features sony actually had the 1up on MS with and they sacked it.

i have a 360 and i have seen what software emulation is like....... complete shite.

i honestly think that they're scraping the barrel to find "useful" things cell can actually do. i agree with carmack and hideo kojima that the Cell was a bad design choice. thanfully those two have enough skill that they should be able to over come it with time.

its worth mentioning that US and JAP versions will end up with this software emulation, but that doesnt detract from the fact europeans will be paying more for a new product that is less functional that when it was launced in the US and Japan. i believe this will save them a measly $27 a console. thats it.

According to Reuters, "The backwards compatibility is not going to be as good as the U.S. and Japan models," a Sony spokesman said. "Rather than concentrate on PS2 backwards compatibility, in the future, company resources will be increasingly focused on developing new games and entertainment features exclusively for PS3."

Great. Most people probably wouldn't mind about not having backwards compatibility, but the fact that US and Japan get it and we don't is, frankly, galling. Let's face it - Sony's deal is getting worse by the day.

i think that sums it up really. i dont think its the lack of ability that will bother most (ie i certainly never played PS1 games on my PS2) its the fact that we in europe will be paying more for less, instead of paying more for the same.

they had plans for removing the EE and GS chip before christmas, Oct 06 i believe. really they should of done this from the get go and avoided all this nonsense. it wouldnt of been any worse for them to do what MS did with its BC software emulation. 80% of games on release, 90% further down the road, then onwards to 100%

why do people always always always throw the FAN-BOI card to anyone who bad mouths something. yes i love my 360, i loved my PS2 when i had that too, my audio products are exlcusively sony, my mobile phones are exclusively sony. im far from a a fanboy for any team, i simply buy what i deem is the best at doing what i want at the time. ill be just as rude and nasty to my 360 though for having a shite warranty, and incredible noise the DVD drive makes, the heat and the fact that every other time i try play a game i must clean the disc and blow into the drive.

Last edited:

Regards
the Interceptor

it's different with the ps3 for a variety of reasons, 1) it's available elsewhere with a hardware solution that supports more titles 2) it's coming out later 3) it costs more

The PS3 also costs much more to make,
and the functionality is the same.

All you people in Europe and Australia could have bought a fully functional PS3 from Lik Sang if Sony didn't have it shut down so they could gouge the price and screw you over.

What it boils down to is you end up spending 1k for Gran Turismo. Most other games I can get on PC.

Gran Turismo, Metal Gear Solid, Tekken, Final Fantasy
and a few other regular titles are well worth it.

Just curious, did this (major price discrimination) happen with the 360 in Europe?

And almost everything else if you mean the UK - we are more expensive than the continent in everything now. (er possible exception of Norway Car prices which are completely insane - before Nomix chimes in).

yeah I noticed you guys are payng higher prices than the EU.
looks like other countries have it worse tho as far as PS3 is concerned
Denmark 5495 DKK = $969

Last edited: