Can the Cops Search Your Phone? No. Well? Actually Yes? but Not Exactly.

Solberg

Car(s)
Porsche 997 Carrera S & 2012 Ford Raptor!!
Interesting post I came across regarding the questions of an officers right to search your phone.

What do you think?

passcodemain.png

What does happen to law abiding citizens is that sometimes we get pulled over for driving a little faster than allowed or for forgetting to use our turn signals.[...]
lolz. I stopped reading the Article after that.

anyway, it also depends on the Country you?re in. In some it may very well be legal for the cops to search your phone depending where. In Germany the cops need your approval or a warrant, I know that much. That is if it is locked. It`s pretty much fair game if it?s not. Either way - germany does not have the Fruit of the poisonous tree doctrine anyway ... so even if they search illegally, if they find something - they can still use it against you.
Border/Customs-officers in a lot of countries also have the right to search your phone or computer without any restrictions. That?s the case in the U.S. where they won?t let you enter the country if you refuse to "unlock" or decrypt your devices. They can also make copies. And all that without a warrant. Us-citizen or not.

Last edited:
The post is obviously about the United States and has nothing to do with EU law.

I believe that during a traffic stop of any kind if it escalates to a search of any person, the most that an officer is allowed to do is an outer garment pat down, so unless your phone is shaped like a weapon, you might be ok. This changes of you are placed under arrest, of course, when they go through all of your belongings. I guess what I'm getting at is that a typical traffic stop that the article references is very unlikely to result in a search at all.

Purposely use the wrong (unregistered) finger 10 times in a row. This will wipe the iPhone clean.

I had no idea this will wipe an iPhone. I'm doing this to someone I don't like.

I had no idea this will wipe an iPhone. I'm doing this to someone I don't like.

I don't believe this is true, if you fail enough times with a fingerprint it disables fingerprint and asks for password, use a wrong one 15 times and it will wipe. Though it's configurable so if you didn't set it to auto wipe it won't.

Also they can still subpoena all the cloud based stuff and since most of the stuff is in the cloud anyways...