• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

CAN WE COMPARE 4WD SYSTEM BETWEEN SUV AND TRUCK????

alptlubo

Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Messages
20
Location
Canada
:? Most comparsion tests are based on the same car segement. However, to make the question more interesting in the real life, shall we make a comparsion between SUV and TRUCk? For example, LandRover LR3 vs Toyota New Tundra(10000lb towing). I know that most trucks are offering 4WD and offroad package. But, can they really make them much better than offroad SUV? I doubt....

Anyway, does anyone who owns a 4WD truck and SUV, and would like to tell us your experience here.Thanks. :roll:

l_pho1.jpg

Photos_7E9E557A-7C50-4CF1-8F59-CDFE682053C6_307x924.jpg
 
the only reason i could think of that a suv would be better is because of the extra weight over the rear tires.
 
patrick10 said:
the only reason i could think of that a suv would be better is because of the extra weight over the rear tires.
Good comment.
What about a full loaded truck,then?Do you still think that way?
 
i dont think it would matter because a lot of suv's are based off trucks. maybe the truck 4wd is setup to haul and the suv to go offroad.
 
If you have a 4WD SUV and Truck with the same chasis, same setup, going off-road, the truck will probably turn out better for it's decreased weight, and it's center of gravity being more forward than the SUV. My brother and his pals tend to use pickups for off roading, as they're cheaper, and tend to be easier to modify.
 
YF19pilot said:
If you have a 4WD SUV and Truck with the same chasis, same setup, going off-road, the truck will probably turn out better for it's decreased weight, and it's center of gravity being more forward than the SUV. My brother and his pals tend to use pickups for off roading, as they're cheaper, and tend to be easier to modify.
Thank you in advance.
Could you please be more specific?
What kind of truck you brother and his pals are using?What modifications are done by them?What offroad performance they received by doing so?Can we then conclude that TRUCKS is better off than SUVs on offroad overall?
 
YF19pilot said:
If you have a 4WD SUV and Truck with the same chasis, same setup, going off-road, the truck will probably turn out better for it's decreased weight, and it's center of gravity being more forward than the SUV. My brother and his pals tend to use pickups for off roading, as they're cheaper, and tend to be easier to modify.


having weight in the back helps a shitload. give me an old land cruiser over any truck
 
alptlubo said:
YF19pilot said:
If you have a 4WD SUV and Truck with the same chasis, same setup, going off-road, the truck will probably turn out better for it's decreased weight, and it's center of gravity being more forward than the SUV. My brother and his pals tend to use pickups for off roading, as they're cheaper, and tend to be easier to modify.
Thank you in advance.
Could you please be more specific?
What kind of truck you brother and his pals are using?What modifications are done by them?What offroad performance they received by doing so?Can we then conclude that TRUCKS is better off than SUVs on offroad overall?

My brother uses a 1999 Chevrolet 1500 Longbed, only modification is to the exhaust and intake. One of his pals has a slightly older 1500 Silverado with a 4 inch lift kit, lockers, and some super swampers. The Silverado is definately more adept to handling some of the mud and traps they go through on the tank trails (they go off-roading around Ft. Stewert). The other vehicles are an old Ford F-150, Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, and Jeep Liberty. There was someone with a Durango, but it had low ground clearance from what I understand.

mat_shaw said:
YF19pilot said:
If you have a 4WD SUV and Truck with the same chasis, same setup, going off-road, the truck will probably turn out better for it's decreased weight, and it's center of gravity being more forward than the SUV. My brother and his pals tend to use pickups for off roading, as they're cheaper, and tend to be easier to modify.



having weight in the back helps a shitload. give me an old land cruiser over any truck

Then again, I don't have as much room to talk. I'm not really much into off roading as my brother. Though different trails call for different trucks, as I understand it. Though I'd think with a heavier rear end, you'd be more prone to problems with mud (not to mention, a lighter truck would be a little easier to pull out if you get stuck). Then again, to each his own, with enough money you can make a rig that'll do just about anything...
 
YF19pilot said:
mat_shaw said:
YF19pilot said:
If you have a 4WD SUV and Truck with the same chasis, same setup, going off-road, the truck will probably turn out better for it's decreased weight, and it's center of gravity being more forward than the SUV. My brother and his pals tend to use pickups for off roading, as they're cheaper, and tend to be easier to modify.



having weight in the back helps a shitload. give me an old land cruiser over any truck

Then again, I don't have as much room to talk. I'm not really much into off roading as my brother. Though different trails call for different trucks, as I understand it. Though I'd think with a heavier rear end, you'd be more prone to problems with mud (not to mention, a lighter truck would be a little easier to pull out if you get stuck). Then again, to each his own, with enough money you can make a rig that'll do just about anything...


YF19pilot said:
Though different trails call for different trucks, as I understand it.
no trail call for trucks.

YF19pilot said:
Though I'd think with a heavier rear end, you'd be more prone to problems with mud
the only reason for getting stuck in mud is lack of skill

YF19pilot said:
(not to mention, a lighter truck would be a little easier to pull out if you get stuck)
few hundred pounds doesnt make a difference. all wenches that people use for offroading can pull alot
 
i would second the sentiment that there would, especially with 'murican vehicles, be very little (if any) difference btwn the 4WD SYSTEMS in the SUVs and trucks. the vast majority of 'murican vehicles share drivetrains and chassises with other vehicles, so while the body will be different, and weight distribution will be different, the 4WD system will be identical.
 
sandor_ said:
i would second the sentiment that there would, especially with 'murican vehicles, be very little (if any) difference btwn the 4WD SYSTEMS in the SUVs and trucks. the vast majority of 'murican vehicles share drivetrains and chassises with other vehicles, so while the body will be different, and weight distribution will be different, the 4WD system will be identical.
Thanks
If the 4WD system is identical, then what can make SUV better than Truck?
In your own opinion, what do you think LR3 vs Toyota Tundra( either unload or full loaded)? Can you tell which one is better than the other?
THanks.
 
matt_shaw said:
YF19pilot said:
mat_shaw said:
YF19pilot said:
If you have a 4WD SUV and Truck with the same chasis, same setup, going off-road, the truck will probably turn out better for it's decreased weight, and it's center of gravity being more forward than the SUV. My brother and his pals tend to use pickups for off roading, as they're cheaper, and tend to be easier to modify.



having weight in the back helps a shitload. give me an old land cruiser over any truck

Then again, I don't have as much room to talk. I'm not really much into off roading as my brother. Though different trails call for different trucks, as I understand it. Though I'd think with a heavier rear end, you'd be more prone to problems with mud (not to mention, a lighter truck would be a little easier to pull out if you get stuck). Then again, to each his own, with enough money you can make a rig that'll do just about anything...


YF19pilot said:
Though different trails call for different trucks, as I understand it.
no trail call for trucks.

YF19pilot said:
Though I'd think with a heavier rear end, you'd be more prone to problems with mud
the only reason for getting stuck in mud is lack of skill

YF19pilot said:
(not to mention, a lighter truck would be a little easier to pull out if you get stuck)
few hundred pounds doesnt make a difference. all wenches that people use for offroading can pull alot

It seems you are an expert of offroad activities.
Could you please comment on LR3 vs Toyota Tundra?
You may go to the web of toyota check the latest version of Tundra,which is an awsome truck(it features more than 10000lbs towing capability.)
Also, in my understanding from you posts, the weight loaded on the bed of the truck will not harm offroad performance very significantly.Is that correct?
Thanks.
 
alptlubo said:
sandor_ said:
i would second the sentiment that there would, especially with 'murican vehicles, be very little (if any) difference btwn the 4WD SYSTEMS in the SUVs and trucks. the vast majority of 'murican vehicles share drivetrains and chassises with other vehicles, so while the body will be different, and weight distribution will be different, the 4WD system will be identical.
Thanks
If the 4WD system is identical, then what can make SUV better than Truck?
In your own opinion, what do you think LR3 vs Toyota Tundra( either unload or full loaded)? Can you tell which one is better than the other?
THanks.

weight distribution will be the biggest thing. having the basically weightless bed over the rear wheels really doesnt help a trucks traction at all.

i would think the length of large SUVs and trucks would make off-roading more difficult too - you would have to be jacked up more to avoid getting hung up in the middle. personally i have only been rock crawling in a Jeep CJ-5 on 36" ?? tires... it was quite an experience. all my other off-roading has been more of the "farmer's field" variety, where its mostly flat, and any good 4x4 that has decent ground clearance can get through without a problem, but with a lot of fun & mud . :D
 
Top