Can you drive both LHD and RHD cars?

Can you drive both LHD and RHD cars?

• Total voters
Once I switch out of the automatic pilot I have from driving an RHD all the time, yes it's fairly easy.

It takes no time at all to get used to the switch.

Last edited:
i think I can, never tried though

Must say that I think the adaptation of driving on the RONG side of the road is bigger (in my mind) than sitting on the RONG side of the car...

I have driven both and it's really annoying to sit on the wrong side of the car. Can't say about the gearshifts, shouldnt be too hard but right hand drive cars here are "by default" automatics so I haven't tried.

Last edited:
I drove a LHD car for the 1st time in the States in the mid '90s, driving from LA to LV. We stopped in a service station for a while then pulled back onto the road. After a while I saw a truck in the distance driving straight towards me ON MY SIDE OF THE ROAD !. It was only then I realised I'd been driving on the wrong side for about a minute. The road was so straight and so deserted, it took that long to realise.

I still find myself getting into the wrong side of the car occasionally, both here in Spain and when visiting the wrinklies in the UK.

I find the best thing to remember is that the driver should always be in the middle of the road, that gets you through the inevitable bouts of "WTF am I doing ?".

Fortunately I've never had to drive a RHD car in a LHD country or vise-versa... THAT would be confusing.

I've never driven a RHD car before. But I'm sure it would be pretty interesting to try.

It only took me a day to get used to driving a RHD car. That said, I made sure it was an auto because driving on the other side of the car and on the other side of the road and driving to a city I had never been to was enough for one trip. Adding in shifting with my left hand would have been a bit much to throw into the mix.

Well, RHD does give a slight bit of added security- when I'm shifting, my right (stronger) hand is holding the wheel, which might make quick manoveuring easier- but there really is little difference to me in general practise.

The driving is easy, but getting into a true rhythm of looking the right way at stop signs, etc., without looking like Chuckie the mad puppet it tougher. :)

Same is true at crosswalks when walking :)

Steve

The driving is easy, but getting into a true rhythm of looking the right way at stop signs, etc., without looking like Chuckie the mad puppet it tougher. :)

Same is true at crosswalks when walking :)

Steve

i'm sure that when i'd reach up to adjust my mirror, i'd just bang my hand into the window :lol:

same thing when i wanna change the radio.

Well, RHD does give a slight bit of added security- when I'm shifting, my right (stronger) hand is holding the wheel, which might make quick manoveuring easier- but there really is little difference to me in general practise.

I second that. Though some people prefer using their stronger (right) hand to shift, rather than to steer.