Can you hook up a car battery to a motorcycle/quad?

Ottobon

Car(s)
2 Rust buckets and a confused 1999 American.
Edit:Got bored and did it, solenoid and or starter are clicking like mad. Praying wire brushes can fix this.

Woulda Coulda mod maybe change the name to something like "clicking starter/seloniod trouble" or something

Under that premise i'd like to pose the question as to why the ground jumper cable got so hot it was smoking while trying to perform startup. What does this indicate?

Last edited:
Under that premise i'd like to pose the question as to why the ground jumper cable got so hot it was smoking while trying to perform startup. What does this indicate?

Danger, Will Robinson, danger! :lol:

Why exactly did you want to hook a car battery to a quad? It would be simpler just to use a battery meant for the machine. :mrgreen:

I deleted that part, but it was because i'm trying to determine if the starter would work with a fully charged battery. The answer right now seems to be no (clicking solenoid/starter)

From what i have gathered the extra heat from the wire could have been a caused by poor connections (???) The idea being the ground cable having so little in contact with the clamp that the part which is able to conduct electricity is overworking itself.

I also read something about overworked/corroded/overheating wires causing even more corrosion? Is that true as well? Makes electronic corrosion sound more like a cancer then anything else.

Car batteries are far more powerful than bike batteries; car batteries have greater voltages than bike batteries and can easily overwhelm a bike's electrical systems.

I had the solenoid clicking problem with my bike too, which turned out to be nothing more than a dead battery. Get a new motorcycle battery and check if your system is fried (which it probably is) or you ducked out and got lucky.

Seeing as my only knowledge is dealing with lots of dead batteries of all kinds, I suggest go with what BlaRo said and just get a new bike battery. :) I'm sure your bike will be much happier and you'll be much safer that way.

I always say if things make funny noises, run. :lol:

As long as the voltage is the same you should be OK. If you try to run a 6 volt setup with a 12 volt battery, though, you'll probably fry something. The only real difference between a 12 volt bike battery and a 12 volt car battery (other than physical size obviously) is the amperage. A car battery will put out more amps for a longer time before being discharged.

this sounds a lot like you put a 12 volt battery to a 6v bike. You can get away with this for VERY short periods of time (like brief enough to get the bike fired), but not for a second longer than needed.

Or, it could go TG-like badly and screw up your bike.

Steve

Okay, new problem. Solenoid used to click like mad, but now that wont even happen, now the relay just clicks when you press the start button. I'm going to double check all the connection, although the bare metal has all been cleaned.

If i can fix it by sureing up loose connection i am going to give my mom a super amazing christmas gift. I know that my 4 wheeler has nothing to do with my mom, but i'm about to start breaking things. God i hat eelectronics!@&^!

Spectre is probably right about the relay being dead. Do you have a charger with a car start setting? I have been able to turn my CD750 over using the when the battery goes out.

Can you turn the engine over by hand? If not, you may have a bigger problem. Be sure to remove the spark plug so you aren't fighting the engine compression.

please help me, my motorcycle got 12v 7amp battery.....because of two hid lights , double air horns, angel lights and parking lights....my battery drains just in one or two days
can i install a car battery of biger size of 12 volts ?
will it work

- - - Updated - - -

can anyone let me know the difference between gel battery and lithium battery?

- - - Updated - - -

ok so 12v car battery can be used in my bike but what will be the disadvantage of using 12v battery with more amp , as my bike is having 7amp battery, but i installed 2 hid so will it work

please help me, my motorcycle got 12v 7amp battery.....because of two hid lights , double air horns, angel lights and parking lights....my battery drains just in one or two days
can i install a car battery of biger size of 12 volts ?
will it work

- - - Updated - - -

can anyone let me know the difference between gel battery and lithium battery?

- - - Updated - - -

ok so 12v car battery can be used in my bike but what will be the disadvantage of using 12v battery with more amp , as my bike is having 7amp battery, but i installed 2 hid so will it work

If your battery keeps dying, a bigger battery isn't going to solve anything. Something else is wrong because the bikes charging system should be able to handle that just fine. If the bike dies while you're riding it, the charging system is failing. If the bike runs fine but the battery dies when you don't use it, there's a current drain somewhere and you need to find it. Most likely one of your modifications is wired wrong.

If your battery keeps dying, a bigger battery isn't going to solve anything. Something else is wrong because the bikes charging system should be able to handle that just fine. If the bike dies while you're riding it, the charging system is failing. If the bike runs fine but the battery dies when you don't use it, there's a current drain somewhere and you need to find it. Most likely one of your modifications is wired wrong.

a friend who used to own a honda hornet once replace the single headlight with a double one (and had both lit at the same time)
his battery also kept draining, the alternator couldn't supply the power needed to light 2 bulbs...

i would look for a better alternator instead of a better battery

...in a shallow grave? with Parkinson's?

This thread is almost seven years old, by Jove.

This thread is full of misinformation, that's what.

You know what? I think you're full of misinformation. :p