Can you say Alpine? Renault and Caterham to jointly make sports cars

First new Alpine

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motorsport-le-mans/new-alpine-celebration-concept-revealed-le-mans

CHYN0snUAAE-Sj7.jpg

CHYN00YUkAAduHw.jpg

french
http://www.lemans.alpine-cars.com
en
http://www.lemans.alpine-cars.com/en

The thing I confused about, is the Renault RS01 going to be an Alpine?

Last edited:
Here's a render with the decals removed, and some light clusters added:

16992303791388175344.jpg

16559863691112285496.jpg

The recently unveiled Renault Alpine Celebration concept has received a digital makeover suitable for a production model.

The Alpine nameplate is now sixty years old so Renault has decided to celebrate this milestone with a concept that also provides a sneak preview of next year's road-going model. RM Design wanted to see into the future and toned down the concept to make it suitable for a production version. As a consequence, he removed the body graphics, installed more conventional front and rear lighting clusters and mounted more practical side mirrors.

The alloy wheel design has also been changed while the rear end hosts a regular window as well as usual fog lights instead of the concept's F1-like arrangement within the rear diffuser. An image of the interior cabin has not been provided yet by Renault so we don't know what to expect from the production version due in 2016.

The revived Alpine will take the shape of a lightweight sportscar featuring a rear-wheel drive mid-engined layout with power coming from a 1.6- or a 2.0-liter turbocharged gasoline four-cylinder engine teamed up with a dual-clutch gearbox. It could weigh as little as 1,100 kg (2,425 lbs) and will the first of many other Alpine-branded models to come, including even crossovers/SUVs.

If this is close to what they'll make in the end, I have to say it's the most appealing car to come out of France in a very long time. :)

Here are the patent photos from WIPO:

397132280671410151.jpg

17286308251209337304.jpg

1811803365173578965.jpg

12732267501375783476.jpg

12479493371789408680.jpg

Last edited:
I like that a lot. It's my kind of retro - modern surfacing and detailing with just enough nods at the original car.

So we'll see Alpine branded crossovers in the future? Jesus wept.

I do like what I see above, though.

I don't hate it and I will reserve judgement proper until I meet one but those images make we wish they had aped the original A110 a bit more. It's almost like they got scared half way through and backed off. Other cases in recent years where manufacturers have raided their back catalogue are much clearer in their intent compared to this.

It's actually subtle and pretty.

Dear Renault/Alpine,

My body is ready. Please bring it to North America.

It looks great. Shame it will be powered by a four banger. Give it at least one more cylinder and it'll sound all the better for it.

They had a demonstrator/show car "running" briefly at Le Mans during the grid presentation, but it didn't seem anywhere near production-ready (the words used were "cobbled together for the demo") according to the Radio Le Mans pitlane reporters who saw it during that demo.

It looks great. Shame it will be powered by a four banger. Give it at least one more cylinder and it'll sound all the better for it.

Or one less + lots more RPM:

Why? The original A110 was also only a 4-cylinder. It would make no sense for them to develop an engine which will only be used in this car, that would force the unit cost up significantly. And a larger engine would make it heavier.

The engine will most likely be a 1,8 turbo available in three different tunes: 250, 275 and 300 hp. This engine will also be used in the performance versions of the Megane.
Until now it was believed the sports car is going to feature a 1.6-liter unit with 250 PS (185 kW), but now Automotivpress says the Alpine (name not confirmed) will receive a new 1.8-liter turbo motor. Actually, this engine will be based on the current 1.6-liter turbo petrol of the Clio RS and will be available in three power levels ? 250 PS (185 kW), 275 PS (205 kW) and 300 PS (220 kW).

The 1.8 TCe engine will share some of its components with the 1.6 TCe, but will have a revised computer, new cooling system and cylinder head. It will be mated to an improved automatic gearbox with two clutches.

Looks nice. Sadly, the Renault-Nissan empire will never release it outside Europe...

CX9U09XWsAAkTiu.jpg

CaOYMsnW0AAnOLL.jpg

For god's sake, please bring it to the states.

I like the logo too. Away with round shapes!

lhjhbB9.gif

Awesome.

Still a concept though :( I hope they have the package solved and don't change the proportions, just the details.

<3<3<3

But you're right, it's still just a concept. Let's hope it doesn't end up in the same concept hell as Alfa Romeo Duettottanta...