Can you say Alpine? Renault and Caterham to jointly make sports cars

If the 4C didn't work for Alfa this definitely won't do anything for Renault as far as the US market is concerned. It looks like a Honda Del Sol if Honda were to release a Del Sol for the present day.

I don't know about that. The 4C was tremendously impractical in ways that I don't envision this being. The door sills were whack, the attempt at an interior was kit car-like, and the carbon tub was cool to talk about but just to livable. This looks a lot more substantial than that.

The 4C was far from kit car like, have you even sat in one? The complaints from reviewers on that car were largely overblown.

I don't see how this car will be significantly more practical.

it smelled like glue inside! the fiat pieces inside were really disappointing and i almost killed myself getting out. there was no way i would have been able to comfortably drive it and i'm only 6'3".

I'm 6'2" and fit perfectly. I didn't smell any glue.

7-speed dual clutch. No manual option. Open differential with electronic brake based locking. :think:

7-speed dual clutch. No manual option.

Well there goes the whole "The car will use a set-up focused on driver engagement over outright pace" angle. :thumbsdown:

When Porsche has a track special that's only offered with a DCT, and claims it's to avoid design constraints so they can make the car as fast as possible (and when actual customers say they prefer a DCT on the track), I can kinda buy that. When Renault does it right after saying "oh we care more about how it feels than how fast it is", that's BS.

It is beautiful, but it?s hard to imagine it being any kind of a match to a Porsche Cayman - hope I?m wrong though.
It should have been priced to compete with GT86 and RCZ. That would have made it really interesting.

No manual, not interested.

Last edited:
I'm not surprised in the slightest, they probably looked at the Alfa 4C, sales and said "nah."
Yup. In fact, I'd make the case that this car, with zero brand recognition in the New World, would even sell in far fewer numbers than the 4C.

Yup. In fact, I'd make the case that this car, with zero brand recognition in the New World, would even sell in far fewer numbers than the 4C.

Sadly, I must agree. :(

THAT! Hahaha!

Now no one wants one. And in one video they say how confident they are, that costumers will prefer the auto to the manual and You can see that he is not confident! :D

How it will compete with A86 / BRZ with no manual? Or is it really going against Porsche?

I mean all those double cluch things are ok. But when You make a small car for mauntin roads and not have a manual at least as an options You automatically doing it wrong! Automatically I sead! :D

Who cares, I'll never buy one anyway...

Still purdy. Still going to be too expensive. :p

I honestly thing the no manual isn't the biggest deal in the world from their point of view, considering in todays market, although everyone on the internet constantly bangs on about only driving manuals, sales figures of new cars suggest otherwise.

Sadly, I must agree. :(

Didn't someone in Brazil produced the Alpine under licence in the 60's ?
This could be a potential introduction of the new Alpine in Soth America.

And from what i read in France , all the 1955 model of the so called "premi?re ?dition" have been reserved , so maybe the market is here .

The Alpine has been getting some serious praise.

Autocar: McLaren Senna vs. Alpine A110: can less be more? (2. March 2019)
The Alpine is that rarest of things today: a genuine game changer in the way it combines extraordinary feel and response in daily-driver civility. I expect we’ve not seen an all-new car do that job so well for merely mortal money since the launch of the Porsche 911 55 years ago, and I don’t exaggerate one bit.
---
Underneath you, the Alpine feels so supple, so different from other cars. It’s breathing with the road, flowing across its surface and talking, always talking to you, through the steering in part but its chassis in the main. There’s no other car on sale in which it’s easier to establish a rhythm of driving.

CarThrottle.com: Gordon Murray On His F1 Reboot, Alpine, And What's Wrong With Modern Supercars (21. December 2019)
CT: You’re using passive dampers rather than active. Can you explain why?

M: It’s a really simple answer. A year ago I bought an Alpine A110, and it has the best ride and handling compromise of anything I’ve driven since the Lotus Evora, which was top of my list before this. When you analyse that car [the A110] - and we did, we pulled mine apart for two months, we benchmarked it - that car’s got nothing trick on it. It just does the basics really well.

CT: That raises an interesting point about benchmarking - that can’t be easy when you’re trying to create a car that’s so different.

M: Well, we weren’t going to benchmark, until the Alpine came out, and I said no, that’s a whole new planet. I did a similar thing with the F1 - I benchmarked the NSX, and that was the best ride and handling car of its time.
It’s [the Alpine] the best car I’ve ever driven for ride and handling. It’s better than a Porsche, it’s better than supercars - it’s absolutely brilliant

CT: Is the Alpine the car your spending most time in? What’s your daily driver?

M: I’ve got two daily motor cars. I live in a place where I need four-wheel drive to get out if it snows - I’ve just bought myself the latest Jimmy, and I love it. I like the styling, I like the way it drives. My two daily drivers are the Alpine and that.

Last edited: