Can you wait to buy videogames or do you buy them when they come out?

skippious

Car(s)
F250
Usually if it is a game like GT5, a game that keeps on going, like online, I don't wait long after the release and buy it. For other games I can wait forever.
Sometimes I buy games when they come out, just because I can't wait, like God of War 3. Unfortunately it is still new in shrinkwrap as I never got to play it.

I recently bought a new Xbox360 for 155 dollar, just to play HALO, I probably paid 40 bucks for Halo3, ODST (<-sucks!!) and reach. I also bought Forza 2. the best 4 bucks I spent on a game and some more, like Driver San Fransisco which I saw when I was last time in a gameshop for 109,95, now 20 and Forza 3 for 4 bucks.

Sometimes it pays off to wait, as the psp games are going out of sale in the shops, they get cheaper.
I scored Driver76, Little Big Planet, Metal Slug anthology, God of War: Ghost of Sparta for 10 bucks each, and F1 grand prix, Lumines, Lumines II, EA replay and Every Extend Extra for 4 bucks each, just if I wanna play whilst travelling.
Other recent cool finds I had were Welcome to Violence for the Wii, 20 bucks for 3 awesome games and Metal Slug Anthology for the Wii, 10 bucks, at once the Wii is a cool machine.

O, forgot to tell, I used to collect old games, got one room full to the brim, even after I sold half of my stack, maybe it's just a bad habit.

I can wait, and I do usally wait. Videogames don?t run away (as with movies or anything else the entertainment industry turns out), and they usally don?t get worse - they get better (patches etc) with time.
Also price - I could pay the full price on the relase date, but I don?t since half a year makes a massive difference in price that I just can?t justify not having spend that money on booze instead ;)
Currently I play Batman: Arkham City. A bit older than half a year and cost me 14? (Steam) - used to be (around) 50?. Saved me 36? waiting half a year ... a complete no-brainer if you ask me.

There are very few games I will buy on release. Especially since Steam started selling everything for 75% off once it's more than 6 months old :)

I get some stuff right on release. The most recent ones being Dead Island and Saint's Row 3. And Forza 4, of course... But generally I'm not that fused over getting things right on release and just check the bargain bins and Steam out for good deals.

I got ME1 for $7.50 and ME2 for $12. ME3 will have to wait for a similar price point.

If Bethesda made it, I can't wait. If any other developer made it, I can.

With most games I think 'Oh maybe I'll buy that one day when it's cheap' and then never do. All the games I've bought in the last year barring Forza 4 have been spur-of-the-moment purchases (Minecraft, Sanctum, etc.)

Gamefly is made for waiting because prices go down over time. Plus they are about 20% off at release. Plus I can rent them at release for like a week or something just to play them.

Between that and Amazon/Steam sales, I'm covered for cheap gaming.

i nearly only play multiplayer games with friends. because of that, most of us end up buying on release for full price. usually though, we don't buy a lot of games, we just focus on a select few so its not a big deal :)

When they're old, and I finally upgrade whatever pos computer I am using to something which will run them. A few months ago I played Deus Ex. The original, I mean...

Games that I know I'm going to play the hell out of I gladly pay $60 for them right away, less than a dollar an hour for endless entertainment, awww yeah! Hell, I payed $150 for the Skyrim collector's edition, I'm over 150 hours on it now and glad I spent that much money. Pfft, going to the movies, if you get concessions too it costs like $10 per hour and you're just a passive observer, games are underpriced if anything.

But I don't buy many games.

Games can be underpriced, but it's difficult to judge. Some games are barely longer than movies. And some games have "cheap" longevity like grindy RPGs, not quite the same as something really immersive even if it keeps you entertained. But some really do offer incredible amounts of content.

For a game like Mafia II, which was great fun but a bit lacking in replayability, I wouldn't pay sticker price. But for a game like Skyrim or Forza, I'm more than happy to, provided the game is good and suits my interests.

I bought Civ V when it first came out and was disappointed. It took months for the mods to fix the game.

Some games I am interested in I won't buy right away, but some games that I am dying to play I will buy when they're released (like GTA V).

If I care enough about a game to want to buy it, then I want to play it ASAP so I buy it on the release day.

The only time I buy games later on is if they're on Steam for cheap and they look marginally interesting.

i thought Steam wasn't used that much, but almost all of you do... Don't you care about the physical game? You don't mind buying a digital copy? Or am I missing something?