Canadian officials bracing for more asylum seekers

Firecat

Politically Charged
https://www.yahoo.com/news/asylum-seekers-fleeing-us-canada-brave-snow-extreme-131134997.html

Key take aways

The 36-year-old was among nearly two dozen asylum seekers who braved bone-chilling cold on a February weekend to walk across the border, trudging through snow-covered prairies in the dead of night to make a claim in this country.

It was a record number of arrivals for a single weekend in the small border town of Emerson, and Canadian officials said Thursday they are bracing for more.

Among the first wave of immigrants to Canada in the wake of Trump's measure was a two-year-old boy who reportedly begged his mother to let him to die in the snow because he could walk no further.
Two others lost their fingers to frostbite in -20 degrees Celsius (-4 Fahrenheit) temperatures when they made the same trip in December.

RCMP helping them across (of course also arresting them nicely, temporarily at least)

image.jpg.cf.jpg

Haven't watched these yet, but from CBC news

As Americans, I think we should be ashamed. This is what it has come too. We've had systems in place to deal with illegal immigrants, refugees, asylum seekers and it may not have worked. But striking fear into the hearts of such people is reprehensible.

I don't know if Canada will grant them asylum or not, we will find out soon enough.

*edit

I'm American/Canadian/South African. Not in that order. Just want to disclose that right now at least I'm proud of my Canadian side

Last edited:
I put the majority of the blame on those exaggerating and conflating reality, trying to stir up as much irrational hysteria over Trump as possible. Screaming about Muslim bans that don't exist, deportation forces that don't exist, Nazi movements that don't exist, etc, etc, etc. It's madness. I can't blame people for being afraid when everyone is screaming that the sky is falling every damn day.

But when you tell people this, all they say is that it's going to happen some day, so might as well lose our minds now and be proactive.

Good, Canada can keep 'em.

I put the majority of the blame on those exaggerating and conflating reality, trying to stir up as much irrational hysteria over Trump as possible. Screaming about Muslim bans that don't exist, deportation forces that don't exist, Nazi movements that don't exist, etc, etc, etc. It's madness. I can't blame people for being afraid when everyone is screaming that the sky is falling every damn day.
YEP, and Yahoo is definitely guilty of this.