• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

[Canadians] Breaking Point / Point de rupture (CBC)

Renesis

Lazier than Viper
Car(s)
2007 BMW Z4 3.0 SI
Did any of you guys watch it, great documentary!

I only catched the last part of the english version, but I watched the rest on internet and I must say it's quite good, unfortunately french and english versions aren't exactly the same but eh, it's not too biaised.

The only thing I didn't like is how they didn't talk about the aftermath, the programs that the federal had made to win, making people outside Quebec vote, all the money they spend that noone knows where it went (now under investigation) etc...

But still, for what it is, it's quite good to give someone who wasn't here or doesn't remember an idea of things were...

I so wish I had been older.. but I have hope I'll be there for the next one, and that THIS one will be the right one!

We only need a great man just like Levesque and Parizeau to lead us, which we really don't have at the moment :?

Link?

What are you talking about? Is it available to download? (probably not).

Details Ren :). No TV here ;).

Wait. Something interesting actually happened in Canada? j/k, just messing with you, my northern neighbors.

Still, this does intrigue me, mind filling in the details of what this is about? The event and such, and if it is still on the internet, a link perhaps to educate others on this bit of Canadian history?

YF19pilot said:
Wait. Something interesting actually happened in Canada? j/k, just messing with you, my northern neighbors.

Still, this does intrigue me, mind filling in the details of what this is about? The event and such, and if it is still on the internet, a link perhaps to educate others on this bit of Canadian history?

Tomorrow is a big event for us which one of us will post about.

But yeah Ren, more info please :).

Tomorrow? What you you Ontarians do on November First?

Personally, I'll be thinking about Rene Levesque, who died 18 years ago, we only lived for 21 days on Earth together, way too short time... :(

Anyway, the even that "Breaking Point" is all about dates from October 30th 1995, that and the fact that I'm posting about it should give you a clue..

It's repeating on Nov 1 and 2, also available on DVD and you can watch some bits on the internet...

http://www.cbc.ca/breakingpoint

take a few minutes to take a look at the timeline, it's very interesting :)

it'll give you an accelerated class of Quebec's modern history :lol:

It's been 10 years already?? Damn. I remember that day even though I was only 3 years in Canada at that time.

Gomery Report was released today Ren. Blames Jean Chretien for everything and his buddies who were in on it. Really nothing new but some people need to read it in the news.

Ah, yeah...

And it says that Paul Martin did nothing wrong.... MY ASS!

Also, all this program was voted after the 1995 referendum, to try and make Canada and federalism more popular in Quebec. What a nice idea..

Renesis said:
Ah, yeah...

And it says that Paul Martin did nothing wrong.... MY ASS!

I have a hard time with that. I just don't believe it at all. Someone paid someone :whistle:. So lets waste more money on another inquiry...sheesh.

This was just so that the Liberal lovers can keep Martin in power now after this Federal election that will be coming out.

Maybe Quebec should get realy serious and just separate. It might be one of the best things to do.

We did have a high when the Gomery scandal got public, but people seem to forget way too fast.

Thing is, in my opinion, we have to do it quick, because the more we wait the harder it will be...

But as for now, we're completely lacking of a leader (only one I can think of would be Gilles Duceppe, but he says he wants to stay in federal politics) like Bouchard and Levesque...

Without that, it's not even worth trying!

Speaking of which, there's a nice quote about it in the 2005 section of the timeline in the link I posted

June 13

Gilles Duceppe announces that he will not seek the leadership of the Parti Qu?b?cois, preferring to remain leader of the Bloc Qu?b?cois and contest the next federal election. He says: "I came to the conclusion that I would be more useful in Ottawa, both to defend the interests of Quebecers and to contribute to the attainment of sovereignty."

Although we currently have a very high number of seats held by the Bloc Quebecois in Ottawa (54), and that we all know for sure that Provincial Liberals are going DOWN next elections, Quebec will turn blue again that's for sure..

For more video content on the web, see

http://archives.cbc.ca/IDD-1-73-1891/politics_economy/referendum_1995/

:)

But remember Ontario fucks up every election. Last election it was a sea of red even though know one wanted to have the Liberals. I'm quite ready for a change. Even if it is the Bloc Quebecois or the Conservatives. Anything but the Liberals. They've done the damage and be gone now.

Only thing is I'm afraid Ontario will yet again vote Liberals no matter what and please lets also try to have a bit more than 60% voter turnout. The people who don't vote should get fined. (PERIOD)

Well actually if I had the right to vote during the last elections I'd have voted liberal.

Normally I'd vote Bloc without thinking, that vote towards liberals wouldn't be to encourage them, it would've been only to be sure that conservatives don't win.

Renesis said:
Well actually if I had the right to vote during the last elections I'd have voted liberal.

Normally I'd vote Bloc without thinking, that vote towards liberals wouldn't be to encourage them, it would've been only to be sure that conservatives don't win.

:lol: I think that's how everybody else voted. Not to get the Conservatives a majority/minority seat. We will see how stupid Ontario will become during this next election.

NDP isn't all that bad, but it's a bit too extreme just like Conservatives (although in the opposite way) and it's even more of a wasted vote than voting Bloc.

So... you know where my vote will go!

Vote NDP!

Just a quick question, you know more about this than me.

How do seperatists invision Quebec? Do you guys want a totally independant nation? Were's your army going to come from? Can Quebec still maintain a social safety net without federal funding?

I have no problem with seperation aslong as that's what the people want. I just have a hard time figuring out what's so bad about the Canadian government. This is of course coming from someone that has lived in thirld world countries. I guess to me, the system here in Canada is decades ahead of what we have back home, and maybe even what they have down in the States.

NDP ruined BC not so long ago :thumbsdown: .

Its presence is vital to the check and balance of government, but I don't think NDP has what it takes to run a country.

///M said:
Vote NDP!

Just a quick question, you know more about this than me.

How do seperatists invision Quebec? Do you guys want a totally independant nation? Were's your army going to come from? Can Quebec still maintain a social safety net without federal funding?

I have no problem with seperation aslong as that's what the people want. I just have a hard time figuring out what's so bad about the Canadian government. This is of course coming from someone that has lived in thirld world countries. I guess to me, the system here in Canada is decades ahead of what we have back home, and maybe even what they have down in the States.

To be brutally honest with you, I am a sovereignist, but I'm not blind either.

I love Canada and I'm glad to be stuck it it, prolly more than any other country I can think of.

But the whole point of separation (for me) is to preserve my identity, my heritage, what people fought for during hundreads of years, and that we're letting dissapear slowly without doing anything....

As for the plans, I'm sure they were very well prepared, knowing the history of those political characters, but a win in a referendum meant the beginning of a long process...

An army, well I don't see how we couldn't create ours, but then again, I assume most of us wouldn't even want one, so it would be so small and have such a little budget that it's not even worth mentionning...

I'd like you to develop a bit about what you mean by social safety net.... I'm not sure I understand what you want to say

haha604 said:
NDP ruined BC not so long ago :thumbsdown: .

Its presence is vital to the check and balance of government, but I don't think NDP has what it takes to run a country.

Yeah, good point, but that leaves us with only two options, an horrible one, and a corrupted one...

choose the "less worst" :?

I'd choose corruption

You know, the social safety net, stuff offered by the state for the well being of society. Welfare, free healthcare, free education, and financial support for higher education. The things that make Canada great. Would an independant Quebec be able to maintain these basic Canadian rights without federal funding? Do Quebecers even feel that it's important to maintain a social safety net? I'm pretty sure the Bloc is left to centre, correct me if I'm wrong, though. They seem to represent the majority of Quebec's interests.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_safety_net

And to be honest, I think the problem with preserving your identity is not exclusive to your province. The education system here tends to skip over alot of history. Canadian history is an option in higher education, so you have alot of people that are out of touch with the history of this country. Hell, I went to an American school in Saudi Arabia, and I was learning more about American history than I did when I came to Canada. I know more about the origins of America than I do the origins of Canada, and I haven't lived in America. I think it's a national problem.