Cancer Sucks

Have no words for this, really sorry about all of it. Keep on being strong!

Alex, I was so gutted to read your post first thing in the morning earlier this week. I couldn’t bring myself to comment and didn’t want to acknowledge it. You’ve fought this bullshit disease with the most unyielding tenacity and it’s not fair that that fucker is winning. I hope you can enjoy the time you have left.

I am so thankful for your work and the community that you’ve created. I can honestly say that my life wouldn’t be nearly as awesome as it is without FG. The friends I’ve made online and in person through FG are lifelong and I can’t thank you enough for bringing us all together.

To add to the crowd of voices cheering for you, I’m happy to contribute however I can to help in anyway.

Thank you again for this great community.

Thank you for the community. Really sorry to hear about it.

I feel so powerless and angry :mad:

I wish you were a car or a computer, then i could fix you ?

As many have said before, thank you for affecting all our lives so much. We have all gained so many friends all over the world because of you.

The only things i can think of is fuck cancer and keep on fighting till the end.

I'm happy that I was able to meet you at ringmeet and was able talk to talk to you for a bit, joke alot. You're a super cool bloke. I'm also thankful for the forums and the many friends around the globe I'm able to meet and talk to, that I otherwise haven't found. You'll be forever in our hearts and in my mind, when someones mentions the word viper.

Thank you for everything and keep on fighting.

Like so many have said, I am bad with words, and really don't know what to say in a situation like this.

I've been following your cancer updates for so long, and it seems like you fought so bravely, the all clear news we were all waiting for never materialized.

Finalgear has gone from being one of the forums I was visiting frequently to the only one I visit. The quality and diversity of the people and interest keeping it fresh.

Thanks to this site, I've met amazing people in the UK, the USA, Norway, Australia and finally Germany when I attended my first ringmeet in 2018.

So thanks Alex, and I really hope you keep fighting and enjoy life as much as you can.

Damn man. I just saw the news over on Facebook, I have not logged in to Final Gear forum or IRC in years. It was great meeting you all those years ago in SF when you stop by. I still have some photos from that meetup here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/zuhaib/sets/72157623897672031. It was because of this site I fell in love with Top Gear and got to meet some great people, https://www.flickr.com/photos/zuhaib/albums/72157605486601668.
Anyways man enjoy life to its fullest. Everytime I watch Grand Tour I will always remember you.

As others have iterated, words escape us reading the recent news. In a way i hope you don't have the time to read through this. I hope your time is comfortable. Spent with close relations. filled with love, and the care you need and deserve. My best wishes for your recovery still of course, and if there's anything at all anyone can do to ease your time i'm 110% sure the community will rally and get it done.

Know your contributions to the world has had a profound positive effect on millions, if not even a billion people. You've carved a timeline in society the vast majority cannot even hope to fathom. Have had the pleasure of meeting you a couple of times - experiences cherished to this day. I know I speak for many when i say your presence leaves a lasting positive impression, and if this thing does indeed go south know we are several generations eternally grateful for your time over these decades.

I just read the post on the site, and had to come here. FinalGear was a very important part of my life, and I met some very cool people along the way - and nothing would've been possible without Alex. So thank you for everything you have done, and thank you for fighting.

Take care of yourself the best you can. You have influenced all our lives in a very good, very positive way, and you will be remembered.

Words can not express just how unfair this is.

Man, I'm just devastated to hear this.

I really don't know where I'd be without this place, or if I'd still be here at all. I found the forums the first time I dealt with pretty severe depression, and having people who actually wanted me around to talk about Puffalumps, my gargantuan balls or whatever was a major turning point. They invited me to track days, and I got a new hobby. I graduated from college, finally, thanks in no small part to having something else to focus on besides how much of a sad turd I am. That hobby turned into a job writing about cars, which I'm still trying to make work, ha. Hell, I even wrote about this place because FinalGear's not just been instrumental to my story, but it forever changed the way we watch other people goof around in cars by making a really good car show really easy to find.

Even now, it's FG people who are there when it seems like no one else is. I mean, usually someone's awake on IRC.

I can't even figure out where to start to say thanks for it all.

Fuck cancer, get burritos.

I hope the tone is right, but in light of these terrible news, for people who have returned to FG to offer a word of comfort: maybe consider staying.
We'll still keep the lights on (and the forum is all new and shiny, thanks to the recent efforts of Alex!)

I hope the tone is right, but in light of these terrible news, for people who have returned to FG to offer a word of comfort: maybe consider staying.
We'll still keep the lights on (and the forum is all new and shiny, thanks to the recent efforts of Alex!)
I second this.

So much this!

Well, this sucks. Just to make the understatment of the year.

I got to thank you for everything you have done. This place has become a big part of my life and I can't imagine a life without it.
So thank you very much.

Alex,

I share the same sentiment as others here. This site was much more than a source of Top Gear episodes, you created a positive community and connected people from all over the world. Without you many life long friendships would not have happened. I've only had the fortune of meeting you twice in person, but I consider it privilege.

I pray you get better, you've been an amazingly positive person in outlook and action.

I just want to add, how you have handled this devastating situation over the last 2 years has been inspirational. You've set the benchmark that I will look up to if I ever have a similar misfortune.

Last edited: