Cancer Sucks

Just found out about this as I don’t look at the social media’s very much, I’m gutted. That was just too soon, in every way. I hope he had a chance to see some of the kind messages that were left for him here.

I hope, wherever you are, that the roads are smooth and twisty and the sun is always shining. Rest in peace Alex.

Rest in peace Alex. ?

RIP. I'm sorry I never said something earlier as I'm terrible at finding the right words for stuff like this.

I don't know how much his family knows about FG, or how much would that help, but when my mother passed away (also for leukaemia) it helped me when people told me how she touched their lives.
Maybe send his family this thread in print, or some other non-internet way of expressing how much this place means to us?

This is something I've been thinking about saying with increasing frequency since the diagnosis and I suppose now is the time.

2007 was a dark time for me. I don't remember much of the time, as is one of the symptoms, other than it eventually lead to me failing 2nd year of English uni twice and having to move back in with my family. Without any purpose or direction, one of the things I did to just while the time away was watch this new motoring TV show that made me laugh, think and sparked an increased interest in cars. While scouring the internet I found a site that offered downloads and discussions on the episodes. It was exactly what I had hoped to find.

What I was not expecting to also find along-side it was a budding community of likeminded people, a group of folk that for the first time in what seemed like ages, I could find some way to connect with and over the years bond on a closer level than I had ever managed before.

When creating Final Gear, Alex gave the people a platform to become so much more than just another media download site, but I doubt it would have turned into what it is today had it not been for his personal approach. I hesitate to say under him, as he considered himself much more an equal with the rest of the members, rather than a leader or just someone who ran the website. Even during the peak of the show's and website's popularity, he remained humble, friendly and just... Alex.

I don't know where I'd be today had it not been for him and all he had done, even indirectly. But I can say for certain that on this sad day, I would not be surrounded by people I have the privilige of calling friends or even family. Finding Final Gear on its own probably did not cure me of my depression 12 years ago, but it was a big step on that path and I can only thank him and the rest of you for it.

I second that. I was similarly battling severe depression when my OCD self stumbled across FG while searching for a particular piece of music used in a TG episode. This community has been a constant as I endured a nervous breakdown, the collapse of my marriage and subsequent divorce, another bout of major depression after being dumped by HWF2.0 (Sarah who some of you met on the French Roadtrip a few years ago) to now where I am mentally on a pretty even keel and blessed with a loving fiancee and custody of my son who is turning into a fine young man who makes me exceptionally proud.

Were it not for the amazing, lifelong friends I have made throughout this community and the incredible experiences it has afforded me, who knows where I would be today.

FinalGear, I believe, quite literally saved my life which makes it all the more heart-wrenching that the fine gentleman responsible has been so cruelly and prematurely taken away from his family and loved ones.

RIP Alex. I really hoped you'd make it to Ringmeet one more time but your memory, especially that hilarious night in 2015 dreaming up new titles for people, will live on with all of us. Godspeed.

I don't know how much his family knows about FG, or how much would that help, but when my mother passed away (also for leukaemia) it helped me when people told me how she touched their lives.
Maybe send his family this thread in print, or some other non-internet way of expressing how much this place means to us?
They'd know. Especially after his final post gathered so many comments. I don't know that we need to show them, I'm sure they'll find their way here when they're good and ready.

Yeah we did. Just 10 years later. I should upload it to Dropbox and post a link really.

I'm speechless. Rest in peace.

I have no idea where I would be today, had it not been for FinalGear and all my life events (moving to, studying and working in the UK) that followed. I'm deeply appreciative of everything he did for us as a community.

They'd know. Especially after his final post gathered so many comments. I don't know that we need to show them, I'm sure they'll find their way here when they're good and ready.
Well, we don't need to, I was just thinking aloud and trying to offer some kind of solace to his family. :)

EDIT: Now that I think of it, I remember his sister was a member at some point, but not very active, so they definitely know.

I am sad to hear the news, i just got to work when i noticed the tweet.

You'll be missed Alex. ?

May your journey continue in in perfect driving conditions.
:viper:

This is horrible. I remember the early days chatting with him for hours, sending releases from topsites to the FG servers, and all the meet ups.

He will definitely be missed.

Fuck cancer.

They seem to know, judging by their post on his blog:
Alex was with his family when he passed peacefully earlier today, Wednesday, February 27th. We would like to thank everyone across the globe for their love and support. It meant a lot to us and Alex to hear from so many people. He really enjoyed reading all of the comments, letters, and cards.

We’re so grateful for the time we had with him. He will be missed.

I am absolutely devastated to learn of this.

I have been a member here for the best part of 14 years, I have read more than I have posted, and have been in and out for some time. That being said, I have spent a lot of time here, and I am forever grateful for the job you have done to maintain this great community and to give us access to the treasure that is Top Gear.

As someone who has been through cancer myself, I'm even more saddened to learn that you didn't make it. It's just so unfair, a big loss to all of us.

Sincerely, Rest In Peace Alex. And fuck cancer!

When I joined this forum I was going through a deep depression in undergrad. I lashed out against everyone and everything and was even banned from the forums twice for it.

I'm glad that they never made it a permanent ban, because the friendships and relationships I've made with this lovely bunch of folks here is immeasurable in all aspects. Alex may have never liked me, but I'm grateful and thankful for what he put together here, building up this society of car dorks that are full with love.

Rest in Peace Alex Mills, I hope wherever you are that you are hooning around on 10 cylinders down a beautiful country road. We all terribly miss you.

I don't know how to reach out to Alex's family, so if anyone has any ideas with regards to that let's try to execute something. I've been looking online for donations to Leukemia research programs and have found the following sites:

For the last one, they state "If your donation is in honor or memory of someone, please be sure to include the name and address of the person or family to whom we should send acknowledgement."

This gives us an opportunity to not only donate to a relevant cause but to also notify Alex's family and show our support.