Cannot access Modem's control panel

predator101

Car(s)
Toyota Yaris, Toyota Corolla
Okay this one has been eating my brain out for a month now and nobosy is able to help me out on it.

This forum is my last hope..

Okay my home network is setup like this:

A wi-fi Linksys WRT54GC router connected to a DSL modem.

IP range of the wi-fi router : 192.168.0.xxx
IP range of the DSL modem: 192.168.1.xxx
IP address of the DSL modem: 192.168.1.1

The wi-fi router is configured through DHCP.
The DSL modem is connected to the net through a PPPOE connection.

Now the problem is that I cannot access the DSL modem's control panel, i.e 192.168.1.1

Every time I try to access 192.168.1.1, it gives out the following error:

Connection Interrupted

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try again.

To make the matters worse, this problem appears only when the internet is connected.

For example, if I pull out the telephone cable from the DSL modem and then try to access 192.168.1.1, then it works fine, but as soon as I connect the internet, I cannot access the page no matter what I try.

It was working fine with the same setup until a month ago and nobody has been able to fix it, including the H&S of the net company.

Any ideas on where I am going wrong?

Just out of curiosity, what happens when your directly connected to the DSL modem while its still connected to your phone line and you try and access the control panel?

Try connecting your modem directly to your PC. Also, set your PC IP address to something within your modems subnet, ie something like 192.168.1.2 .

Just out of curiosity, what happens when your directly connected to the DSL modem while its still connected to your phone line and you try and access the control panel?

Try connecting your modem directly to your PC. Also, set your PC IP address to something within your modems subnet, ie something like 192.168.1.2 .

I have done that already.

Whether I connect directly or indirectly, the same thing happens. I cannot access the control panel while the internet is connected.

This is true even if I give my PC an IP address in the range of 192.168.1.xxx

Have you tried resetting the modem back to factory settings? Make sure to write down everything you need before doing this.

Some DSL (and cable) modems actually change their IP address when the connection comes up (usually to your public IP, they then forward all traffic to your computer/router). On these models, it is basically impossible to access the control panel when the internet connection is up.

Some DSL (and cable) modems actually change their IP address when the connection comes up (usually to your public IP, they then forward all traffic to your computer/router). On these models, it is basically impossible to access the control panel when the internet connection is up.

If that is the case then why I could access it just a week ago?

If that is the case then why I could access it just a week ago?
Probably because your modem isn't one of the ones that does that :p

In that case, perhaps something else on your network is grabbing 192.168.1.1? If they're both responding, it could cause connection interruptions. It's also possible your router is blocking the connection for some reason (maybe it doesn't pass RFC 1918 addresses), although both of those problems would be bypassed if you connected directly (which you said did not fix the problem).

Do you have any firewall software installed on your machine? That might cause trouble.

Can you paste the output of a traceroute to 192.168.1.1 please?

If I recall correctly, you right-click and choose "Mark", then click-and-drag, then hit Enter. Paste that into a
Code:
 [/code ] block so we can see it.