Canon 60D

Ramseus

Have you been high today?
http://img713.imageshack.**/img713/941/comparedfront.jpg

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos60d/

Finally! Same 18MP sensor as the rest of the APS line. 9 cross AF points (obviously couldn't be as many points as the 7D but had to be better than the 550D somehow (same number as the 550D but 550D only has one that's cross) so that's not surprising), articulating screen (honestly there's nothing wrong with that - haters gonna hate), lower FPS burst than a 50D (fail), basic in camera RAW editing (that's awesome, btw), SD cards (cue the outrage / sd card owning rebel owners placing orders for 60Ds).

In other words:
how it's worse than a 7D: 5.3 vs 8 FPS burst, 9 vs 19 AF points (and no fancy af point group selections), 7D has dual processors, 96% vs 100% viewfinder, plastic body (however that plus little SD cards makes it 150g lighter than a 7D, which is definitely not a bad thing), you could argue the buttons. So like human interface stuff.

how it's the same as a 7D: same built in wireless flash control, same battery, same light meter, both have the electronic level, same movie recording resolution/frame rates, same sensor. So the pictures it produces should be the same as a 7D.

how it's better: Price, duh. Also articulating screen for movie freaks.

Last edited:
18MP: meh.
Same old 9pt AF system: OK, but was expecting an improvement. Entry-level DSLRs are getting more points these days, but the 9-point is a proven system.
New button layout: Crap due to new screen and lack of separate joystick.
SD cards: Lame.
Plastic body: Lame.
5.3FPS burst: Not just worse than the 50D, that's worse than the 40D. Also has a smaller buffer.
No multi-flash support: Lame.
No AF Micro-adjust: Lame.
Movie mode: Looks fine.

Bottom line? A sold Meh. Remember Clarkson complaining that the Porsche Cayman was only designed to perform exactly halfway between a Boxster and a 911? That's what this is. It could have had a couple extra features to give it better value for money, but they didn't do it for fear of cannibalizing 7D sales. Heck, it seems it may be leaning towards Rebel territory rather than 7D. The problem is that it seems to be competing with the two-year-old D90, and it's due for a replacement announcement (D7000) in a couple of weeks. If the going specs for the D7000 are correct (Mag chassis, ISO25600, 16MP, fulltime video AF, 8FPS, 39pt AF, multiflash, etc.) it's going to eat the 60D's lunch at $100 more. Only time will tell how everything pans out, but I'm just not impressed with the 60D at this point.

Last edited:
Aw, that's cute. Canon's trying to catch up to the ergonomics and control surfaces of the four-year-old Nikon D80 :p

(see that stick Ramseus? You're being poked with it)

Same old 9pt AF system
That's 9 cross-type points, isn't it?

Yes indeed, they be crosstype. It's a solid system, but it was a solid system when it was introduced on the 40D and to go through 3 generations without an improvement is a bit disappointing.

sooo its not really much (if at all) better than a 50D

Yuppers. RIP xxD. It's really just a buffed up rebel. The $200 list price drop over past xxDs reflects that too.

I think this is Canon's take on the D5000, yes?

Indeed, I'm cursing and swearing every time I have to use a Nikon :p
That said, it's a solid meh like others have said. I was just looking at what I'd like to get to replace my aging Rebel (350D!) and was wondering if a replacement for the 50D is due. This replacement will leave me trying to afford the 7D though.

The adjustable limit for Auto ISO is great though, why on earth it took Canon this long to add is beyond me. I hope it's added to their other cameras that have Auto ISO in a firmware update.

Last edited:
With the articulated screen and all it also looks very close (also in spec) to the camera I'm currently using; the Olympus E-30. The fully articulated screen, together with the magnifying function it makes a very useful addition for macro shots, so it's not an all-video-gimmick.

big-olympus-E-30-side.jpg

As a Nikon user I'm glad I read this, I had no idea about the D7000 rumours until I read BCS's post and was actually planning on buying a D90 next week.

Canon's lineup confuses me too.

Canon's line is getting too confusing. I went into Jessops yesterday and they were trying to sell a man a 1000d/450d/500d/550d and he couldn't make up his mind.

TBH that's just terrible salesmanship. Too many options only leads to indecision.

:lol:
Owning 3 bodies seems like a bit much, but who am I to know?

I don't see the value in the 60D. It's the same sensor as the 550D, right? They both take the same quality shots, the same quality video. You get a slightly higher frame rate, a slightly better AF, an articulated screen and a few other things, for double the price. If you're willing and/or able to pay double for that then you probably use your camera for work, and if that's the case you're probably better off paying double again for a FF, no? Just my opinion. The 550D seems like great value next to the 60D.