Canon 7D

otispunkmeyer

Car(s)
'03 Skoda Superb (farewell :(), '06 Honda Civic ES
http://www.dailytech.com/Canon+Unveils+EOS+7D+DSLR+Camera/article16137.htm

i searched for canon 7D and got nothing

then again, my eyesight and ability to spot the obvious ranks as terrible so excuse me if this is a pea roast

let see

Dual Digic 4's
ISO 12800
8fps burst
19-point cross type AF
63 zone metering (new for canon that measures focus, colour and luminence)
100% frame in the view finder
transmissive LCD is also in the view finder and provides an overlay with chosen settings
has a dual axis electronic level in the viewfinder and on the LCD...so say bye to the hot shoe spirit levels
3inch LCD with ambient light sensor
Speedlite transmitter built in (i assume like the old nikon D80 has so you can wirelessly trigger a flash without one connected at the shoe)

18MP sensor (crop or FF is not mentioned so ill assume its FF like the 5D, but then again a user post suggest its the usual 1.6x crop in which case 18mp is alot)
Full HD movie @ 24fps

Magnesium body + the usual dust and water protections

$1699 body only suggested retail
$1899 with a 28-135mm kit lens

Last edited:
Impressive image processing capabilities. 8fps at 18mp is 144mp a second. And it's capable of going on for 15 seconds at that pace with JPEG. that 2160mp before the buffer's full.

:)

Meh. After the introduction of the S90 and G11 which emphasized image quality over sheer MP, I was hoping they would follow through with the 7D. Apparently not, so you get the same ol' ISO performance as the 50D with a whopping 3 extra MP for a whole lot more money.

Instead of the 500D, I will buy a D40, so I can hang with the Nikon crowd :cool::p

YEAH!

:|

I thought the 5D was too expensive for me to ever buy, this just takes the cake!

Why they didn't call it the 60D is beyond me.

Also, meh...

Because they haven't announced the 60D yet, dur, this is a new model. Finally Canon has a D300(s) killer. It's about time they put something in the chasm between the XXD and 5D.

Pfft, bunch of haters, it's still priced less than the D300s which nobody complains about being APS-C :p

Waaaaaaaaant.

Because they haven't announced the 60D yet, dur, this is a new model. Finally Canon has a D300(s) killer. It's about time they put something in the chasm between the XXD and 5D.
As far as I'm concerened, Canon had a perfectly consistent naming scheme (XXXD and up = entry level, XXD = prosumer, XD = full frame) -- barring the D30 and D60, which most people have never heard of anyway -- and now they've screwed it all up.

it's still priced less than the D300s which nobody complains about being APS-C
$100 is only a 9% price difference at this price bracket. Whoopdeedo.

Plus the D300/D300s AF system is a lot better and covers nearly the whole frame, which is what's actually important at this user level.

Last edited:
$100 is only a 9% price difference at this price bracket. Whoopdeedo.

Irrelevant difference, yes, but everyone on the interbutts is bitching, and have been bitching before it was officially official, about the price and it being APS-C while it's at the same pricepoint as the D300s which nobody has any issue with being APS-C at that price. "rabble rabble rabble I'm just going to get a 5DII/D300s, rabble rabble rabble" etc.

Once there's thorough tests of production models, bitch away, but not yet. Although I already know DPR's going to post 100% noise crops and say it's noisier than a 50D, like they said a 50D is noisier than a 40D but when you compare them at the same size the noise is pretty much equal (because people don't suddenly start showing their images at 50% higher resolution just because their new camera has 50% higher resolution). DPR's noise comparisons are flawed, but whatevs brah.

It's a nice camera with some good features. Nicer AF than either 5D...Good for somebody shooting sports on a budget.

On that note, I'll keep my 5D classic.

is it even worth getting the kit lens?

28-135 would be 44.8-216mm

how useful is that? i've got a 28-105 and on my 400d its probably the most frustrating lens to use becuase its both not wide enough, nor tele enough

when i get monies its going to be...

tamron 17-50mm f2.8 and sigma 70-200mm f2.8 for me....and then maybe an upgrade to a used 40D

Last edited:
no no no, it's the new 18-135 IS. 28.8-216 equivalent. Also there's the new 15-85 IS to replace the old 17-85 IS. Nice ranges on the new lenses, but they're both a bit on the slow side (both are f3.5-5.6. The 4 stop IS makes up for that.... unless you want a fast shutter speed....)

edit: it looks like the kit lens is going to be the 28-135, according to pre-order pages and stuff.... and that's just retarded.

Last edited:
no no no, it's the new 18-135 IS. 28.8-216 equivalent. Also there's the new 15-85 IS to replace the old 17-85 IS. Nice ranges on the new lenses, but they're both a bit on the slow side (both are f3.5-5.6. The 4 stop IS makes up for that.... unless you want a fast shutter speed....)

Can't have your cake and eat it too...yet.

This is why Canon makes L lenses. It's just really expensive to build a zoom that (A) covers that big of a range, and (B) contains enough high quality glass to allow a wide aperture.

Look at the 24-105 f/4L IS. Nice lens, but still nearly $1000 and still only f/4.

Me too. But damn, the 5D is about $1k more?! Guess I'll have to make do with the 20D for a while longer yet. :cry:

My guess is that you won't see a full framer cheaper than the 5D line for a long time, if ever. Why would Canon want to undercut sales of that camera? The 5D IS the cheap full-frame camera. :p It brings full-frame cost into the hobbyist realm, as opposed to the 1DsIII, which is astronomical unless you make big coin from photography.

Meh. After the introduction of the S90 and G11 which emphasized image quality over sheer MP, I was hoping they would follow through with the 7D. Apparently not, so you get the same ol' ISO performance as the 50D with a whopping 3 extra MP for a whole lot more money.

Exactly.

Do.Not.Want.