Canon EOS 5D Mark II

I have "Barry Lyndon" on the iPhone... I know, it's a sin to watch it in 480x320, but man, I could watch that movie a million times.

We should actually make a FinalGear lens. f/0.5.

Make a world record lens and get in the newspaper for something other than piracy.

I have this idea, but, living in Serbia makes it impossible for me to work on it.
Basically, a two-piece radio device which helps camera autofocus. For example,
if you're filming a car passing, the device would communicate with the camera and always
tell the camera at what distance and speed it's going from the camera. So, the camera is constantly autofocused
on the right distance, and all the photographer has to do is pan, or just move a bit.

I bet someone could make an ordinary iPhone do this via wireless.

For my the 5D MK2 is the camera of the year :p

I have "Barry Lyndon" on the iPhone... I know, it's a sin to watch it in 480x320, but man, I could watch that movie a million times.

Lol, my Dad was in that film, never watched it though. Have photos of him in the house in the full British uniform. Although he did had to fight for both sides in the film ...

Hehe.. couple of buddies just got their Mark2s. :) Looking forward to working this xmas, mate comming north with his new 5D. :)

Black donts only appear under if some features are enabled and if you look at photos on a pixel to pixel basis. Otherwise it's a non-issue. As I see it those who pixel peep have nothing to take photos off and are more interested in complaining on forums

I'm really surprised at how vehement the outcry about the "black dots" issue has been. :blink:

Similar to the Canon 450d... everyone who didn't buy or use it complained about the AF system,
while people who have it didn't complain. Teh internets.

Black Dots

Black Dots

Black dots is where you'll see literally a black 2-3pixel formation right next to highlights (usually taken at night). Canon has yet to announce an official statement. But because of this "issue" a lot of people have jumped from the 5D2 to the D700. Better build quality, weather sealing, arguable better ergonomics, better high ISO capabilities (http://www.xtremephotography.ca/Canon-5D2-Vs-Nikon-D700/), and of course, lower price, A horizon guide tool, to ensure you are shooting "straight".

However, 5D2 has more MP, and 1080p recording, 98% frame coverage in the view finder.

I don't see why a studio shooter would choose any Nikon ( bar D3x ) over the 5DmkII.

If I wanted to make landscapes and studio shots ( and I do ) I'd choose either the 5DmkII or Sony A900,
the D3x is too expensive for me, the 1Ds MkIII is also too expensive, and MF cameras are too expensive for me.

If I wanted a camera for everything, I'd buy the D700 or D300 or D90, and the Canon 50D would be somewhere low on that list.

Is there anywhere that can document this "black dots" issue, or are we talking about "some people heard..." and "my mate knows this guy who has a brother who met a person on the internet who says the 5d..." ? I'd like to see what the fuzz is about.

Is there anywhere that can document this "black dots" issue, or are we talking about "some people heard..." and "my mate knows this guy who has a brother who met a person on the internet who says the 5d..." ? I'd like to see what the fuzz is about.

I don't have any links available, but there's huge thread on POTN (and DPreview, I'd assume) that shows that the problem, while a very small one that only happens in certain circumstances, is repeatable and affects all 5DII's. Even some of Canon's press material example shots from Vincent Laforet show the black dots.

Edit: I guess I should track that thread down for you, haha.
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=609860

Black donts only appear under if some features are enabled

Not true, one person claimed that turning off a setting (can't remember which) would solve it, but that turned out not to be repeatable and the dots still appeared. There is currently no way to prevent them completely, though it's suspected that Canon will have a fix soon.

Last edited:
I've been reading about this as well- though it doesn't sound half as bad as the mk III focus issue.

I just got a 5d mark ii but haven't been able to play with it because of my thesis which I've been writing non stop for the past two weeks. But school's out and I'll be doing a job tomorrow, so hopefully the images will be good.

I have looked at the hd movie feature though and it completely blows my mind. Can't wait to do some video stuff!