Can't Decide (Gaming Systems)

Can't Decide (Gaming Systems)

• Total voters

CBuck03

Okay heres my dilemma, I'm trying to figure out what I should use as my gaming system. Recently I moved to Ireland and for 6 months went without any form of gaming.

So, I'm trying to decide whether or not I should bring my Xbox 360 over from the states (i'm in the states now), buy a sony psp 2000, or a European PS3.

Xbox 360 Pros:
- HD games on my tv
- great choice of games
- already got it

Xbox 360 Cons:
- need to buy new power supply
- have to purchase games from US (ntsc vs pal)
- have to ship it over

PSP Pros:
- portable gaming
- regionless games
- av connector cable to use with tv

PSP Cons:
- choice of games
- video quality (no HD)

PS3 Pros:
- Never owned one before
- Blueray
- choice of games

PS3 Cons:
- $$$

Or I could just sell all my Xbox 360 stuff and buy PS3 in Ireland....

Last edited:

ahpadt

Forum Addict
Xbox, mainly because of the great selection of games you have. The upside about PS3 is that you get BR and GT5 when it's released. However, I prefer Forza Motorsport to Gran Turismo.

Solberg

Car(s)
Porsche 997 Carrera S & 2012 Ford Raptor!!
Do what I did get a Xbox and a PS3 :cool:

vegasrebel29

Suckin' dic* bought this title
Car(s)
Chevrolet Silverado
No Wii?

Also, if you buy an Irish PS3 I'm pretty sure you'll have to import all of your games.

LeMans GTR

^ PS3s are all region free, or is there something I don't know.

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Four from the top and two from the third row, UK.
Car(s)
'12 MX-5 PRHT, '02 Freelander, '90 Disco 1 Bobtail
^ PS3s are all region free, or is there something I don't know.

They still use the old PAL/NTSC thing.

I think maybe you should add to the pros for the Xbox 'already got it' and why do you need a new power supply? Go to any travel shop in Ireland and you can pick up travel adapters that will convert to 120V and the two pin plug.

Shipping games over from the US won't be very expensive depending on the strength of the euro versus the dollar, and it won't cost much to ship the thing over either, so they're not problems really.

As for the PSP, if you have a media player already then you'll run out of things to do with it quickly. New games aren't very frequent/good and it's not much fun without proper analogue sticks or force feedback.

CBuck03

I think maybe you should add to the pros for the Xbox 'already got it' and why do you need a new power supply? Go to any travel shop in Ireland and you can pick up travel adapters that will convert to 120V and the two pin plug.

Shipping games over from the US won't be very expensive depending on the strength of the euro versus the dollar, and it won't cost much to ship the thing over either, so they're not problems really.

As for the PSP, if you have a media player already then you'll run out of things to do with it quickly. New games aren't very frequent/good and it's not much fun without proper analogue sticks or force feedback.

But most of those travel adapters can only handle things like blow-dryers and phone chargers. I wouldn't trust it to power a 360 for several hours at a time.

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Car(s)

AutoAero

Car(s)
2001 Audi S4
Xbox. If you play online, even though you have to pay, its much better service than PS3. And the game selection is a ot better.

Hand-helds are just dumb.

and oh yeah achievements > trophies

Cobol74

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Honda Accord 2.2 i-Dtec Sport Estate.Hyundai Ix20

Vltros

Car(s)
2011 Honda CR-Z 1977 Ford Fiesta MK1
I've got both consoles and honestly I think you should get a PS3. Specially if you've already got an Xbox.

The Ps3 might be expensive but you get A LOT with it. I got my Xbox 360 three weeks ago and I was very disappointed that it didn't come with the wi-fi adapter built in it or that hughe power supply.

Besides the PS3 is region free so you can buy games anywhere in the world. It's a great media center (easy to use and set up), online gaming is free, Blu-Ray movies and above all GREAT games (GT5P, Resistance 1/2, Uncharted, Little Big Planet, MGS4, FFXIII Versus, Killzone 2, Ferrari Challenge, PSN titles---> Wipeout HD, Pixel Junk series etc...).

Yes it's A LOT of money, but you also get A LOT of kit with it (unlike the Xbox... ??).

And about the PSP... well it's an interesting machine, but it has nothing to do against an Xbox 360 or PS3.

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Car(s)
I got my Xbox 360 three weeks ago and I was very disappointed that it didn't come with the wi-fi adapter built in it or that hughe power supply.

How did you not know it didn't have a Wi-Fi adapter built in? That's been common knowledge since it came out. As has the power supply. They're not new so they can't really count against it.

For the PSP I will say that if you want reliability you can't do better. I've had my PSP-1000 since the day it was released (3 years) and it's been completely flawless. In that time it has survived several falls down a flight of stairs and being left out in direct sunlight. Very robust bit of kit, I still use mine every day to listen to music. That will change very soon though, HTC will take over that duty. :)

Seasonone

Car(s)
RB25 "silvia"
PS3, it's a far superior machine I've been trying to trade my xbox + cash for a PS3 for a long time now... still can't find a sucker. There aren't many xbox only games that are really that good and they don't make up for the shortfalls of the xbox.

But if you keep the xbox, the Talismoon ATX adapter could be a good choice, than just get a good atx power supply from that cold rock in the northern Atlantic. Than you won't have to get a crappy overpriced M$ brick.

jmsprovan

For the PSP I will say that if you want reliability you can't do better. I've had my PSP-1000 since the day it was released (3 years) and it's been completely flawless. In that time it has survived several falls down a flight of stairs and being left out in direct sunlight. Very robust bit of kit

same here, i got an import from before it was released here and its still going strong even after multiple drops, spills and hacked firmwares (which included me maxxing out the cpu speed and so on). Although i've heard the newest version has screen problems which is dissapointing.

edkwon

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2020 Kia Telluride, Tesla Model Y

I love how ppl throw that suggestion when most people's favorite console game franchises aside from some FPS and RTS games.

I'm sorry but what good is a PC if someone wants to play the latest Soul Calibur, Forza Motorsport, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy (yes i know theres a couple random PC ports), Gran Turismo, and many other hit franchises that are only avail on *gasp*.... CONSOLES?

GauravA42

WRONG. Ps3's are completely region free, and no voltage change is required, unlike the Xbox, the ps3 is multi voltage. not to mention reliability.

PS3 is getting ALOT more exclusives coming soon, i think that can take on halo and gears well. FInal fantasy versus XIII, GT5, Uncharted: AMong Thieves, Killzone 2, and more that i am to lazy to mention. the 360 had better exclusives before, and all the ps3 had was shoddy ports, but the ps3 is getting alot better.

edkwon

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2020 Kia Telluride, Tesla Model Y
PS3 is getting ALOT more exclusives coming soon, i think that can take on halo and gears well. FInal fantasy versus XIII, GT5, Uncharted: AMong Thieves, Killzone 2, and more that i am to lazy to mention. the 360 had better exclusives before, and all the ps3 had was shoddy ports, but the ps3 is getting alot better.

What you said maybe true, but if the buyer is already a fan of the Halo and GoW franchises and wants esp to play GoW 2 or a latecomer to Halo 3 and wants to play multiplayer online w his friends...then how does buying a different PS3 exclusive title help?