Can't delete Iomega home storage manager from my iMac

otispunkmeyer

Car(s)
'03 Skoda Superb (farewell :(), '06 Honda Civic ES
So this is the first software issue I've had with OSX for a very long time, intact I think its the only issue I've had.

Anyway, I have a little NAS sort of drive made by Iomega, though it still needs its own software (I think, it came with some which I installed). However when I upgraded to Lion, it stopped working and I went hunting for an update.

I found one. Installed it. Rebooted. Was met with a "quit unexpectedly" message.

So it fails right away, no hesitation. Now I can't get the bastard thing uninstalled!!! I can move it to the trash but then I can't delete it because apparently its still running as a process. Fire up activity monitor... cannot for the life of me see it listed. Theres nothing obvious there at all if there is.

On top of this, something must still be working because my iMac still connects to the bloody thing! I just can't access its settings menus anymore (and I want to turn DLNA on so I can use it as a media server of sorts).

Anyone got any experience with this?

EDIT: Also appears that if I just type the IP into safari, I can access the settings pages... so what does Iomegas software do exactly!?

Last edited:
I would suggest deleting it through the terminal, basically you open it up and do something like "cd Applications then sudo rm -r Iomega (or w/e the name is)" that should delete it no matter if its still running or not. Do be careful the command deletes everything, it should ask you whether you are sure or not (though implementations may differ).

Yes, be very careful with the rm command. Especially when coupled with sudo. Sudo means "execute command as super user" which unlike Windows won't second guess you. It's unix, which means it'll do exactly what you tell it to even if you tell it to delete the entire running operating system.

The default prompt in OS X looks something like this when you first open a terminal window:

Code:
computername:~ user$

Computername will be what you named the computer. User will be the username you're logged in as. The system names that is, not the user friendly names that OS X otherwise shows you. The tilde (~) means that you're in your home directory.

Code:
computername:~ username$ cd .Trash/
computername:.Trash username$ sudo rm -rf *
Password: [enter your password here]
computername:.Trash username$

This will enter the folder Trash and hard delete everything in there, including running applications that Finder won't let you delete.

Finalgear takes no responsibility if this brings up other problems though, such as "Iomega whatchamacallit failed to start" every time you reboot. That said, I've done exactly this for exactly the same reason many times before and I've never had any problems because of it.

Last edited:
I would suggest deleting it through the terminal, basically you open it up and do something like "cd Applications then sudo rm -r Iomega (or w/e the name is)" that should delete it no matter if its still running or not. Do be careful the command deletes everything, it should ask you whether you are sure or not (though implementations may differ).

Probably not as a process is still using it. Boot into safe mode and you should be able to trash it.

Here is how to boot into safe mode from Apple's website:
Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key. The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before the tone.

Last edited:
Probably not as a process is still using it. Boot into safe mode and you should be able to trash it.

I've sudo rm -rf'ed running processes before. *shrugs*

I've sudo rm -rf'ed running processes before. *shrugs*

Yes you can in Unix, as the binary is already in memory. But if he wants to avoid the command line Safe Mode is easier.

Deleting other files used by the process can cause strange things to happen, even recreation of those files.

Yeah you can usually trash running processes files from CLI but I do agree with argatoga that strange things may happen, I would also go through the Library folder to make sure you nuke all of Iomega files in there.

Also in Activity Monitor are you looking at all processes? There is a drop down that allows you to filter what processes you want to view.

well haven't tried any of the command line stuff yet.... I just tried to remove it from the trash again and it simply just deleted! so no idea what was going on before. However, reinstalling it gives the same error. Its either a duff program or, more likely, somethings not right when it installs on my machine.

I have Crap Cleaner for mac, so going to run that and fix permissions etc... see what that brings. I guess now its removed, the command line stuff won't work anyway right?